Poll

Yes, or no?

Yes, two screens from the player's perspective.
12 (44.4%)
Yes, one screen from the player's perspective and one from the immortal's perspective..
9 (33.3%)
Yes, two screens from the immortal's perspective.
0 (0%)
No.
6 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: December 20, 2003, 04:12:09 PM

Author Topic: Public Viewing...  (Read 4133 times)

The7DeadlyVenomz

Public Viewing...
« on: December 20, 2003, 04:09:20 PM »
Just an idea, but let's get a computer and three screens to set up at the table. Two screens at either side of the table, facing the crowd, and the screen needed by the player themselves. Create a ubber combat character, just for these three days, and let's let the public see what we are doing.

I pick combative character because that is what folks typically see that get them interested in the game in the first place. Let's have some IMMs who won't be attending maybe get into a few plotlines with the PC, and let's give a good showing. This could be one of those crash-and-burn PCs, but Gods, I think the public, walking by and seeing:

A yellow gith has arrived from the west.
A reddish gith has arrived from the west.
A black, hunched gith has arrived from the west.

The powerful scarred mul slashs a reddish gith very hard.
The powerful scarred mul does unspeakable damage with his slash to a reddish gith's hand.
The powerful scarred mul doubles a black, hunched gith over with a violent sidekick.

:would boost interest a ton.

Another option would be to have the two screens facing the public be from an immortal's perspective. That way, they could see everything as though a movie. Yet another option would be to have the two screens side-by-side, one from the players view, and another from an immortal's view.

Thoughts?
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

j0ram

Public Viewing...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2003, 04:21:42 PM »
I think that may be getting a bit complicated. Using an easy to set up, easily portably old clunker laptop is one thing. Having to lug around a whole computer with various monitors, and all the power connections needed for them, and having to worry about breaking it all down come night... A possible nightmare.

DrunkenSalarr

• Soot Happens
Public Viewing...
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2003, 05:36:02 PM »
How about opening up Gladiators and having some arena games durring the con?

On another note, combat is not what I feel we need to be focusing on.  We are The Role-Play MUD out there and RP is what I feel we need to focus on because that is our edge over other MU*.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

Malifaxis

• Thoughts of the Sixth Age
Public Viewing...
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2003, 05:53:17 PM »
Very true, we are THE Roleplaying Mud... however, how would you express this?

PC types a statement, and chuckles.

Con-goer asks "Why are you chuckling?"

PC now has one of two choices to make:

A:  give a short and inadequate explanation of what just happend
B:  give a long and detailed explanation of what the comment was, who it was made to, why it's so funny, and how much trouble it could get him/her in if it reaches the wrong ears.

There must be a way to do this proper, but I'm at a loss for how it could be done.  With the combined IQ's of most of the players on Armag (which is quite scary), we should be able to solve this.  Brainstorm anyone?
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Stop being shitty to each other.

DrunkenSalarr

• Soot Happens
Public Viewing...
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2003, 06:44:29 PM »
Quote from: "Malifaxis"
PC types a statement, and chuckles.

Con-goer asks "Why are you chuckling?"

PC now has one of two choices to make:

A: give a short and inadequate explanation of what just happend
B: give a long and detailed explanation of what the comment was, who it was made to, why it's so funny, and how much trouble it could get him/her in if it reaches the wrong ears.

Simple Answer: Because that is what the character would do.

I once found a somewhat major bug that allowed me to remove my dull, black gem.  I promptly reported it and put the gem back on.  I had some non-arm friends over who saw this and asked me why I put it back on.  I had previously explaind what the gem was for and they were stunned that I would put something like that back on after I was free of it.  I told them "Because it wasn't supposed to be able to come off like that."

FYI: the bug was fixed

crymerci

Public Viewing...
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2003, 07:00:59 PM »
I voted for the first option...one or two screens, just a simple setup.  And I wouldn't use hunting at all to advertise the game, because that's just going to seem like all those other muds where you go hunting to get xp to level up to get uber gear to go hunt the next level of mob with etc.

If we had two screens, I would vote to have one on the southern Byn compound, following through the scheduled activities, and the other screen on either the Barrel or the Sanctuary.
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Rindan

Public Viewing...
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2003, 07:45:50 PM »
I am not sure showing people the actual game would do it much justice.  "What are you doing?"  "Sitting in a tavern."  "Yeah... I am going to go check out that other booth babe now..."  The gladiator idea has some merit, but I still am not sure if it will show much of the MUDs potential.

Perhaps an idea would be to make up small booklets.  Nothing big, just a couple of pages.  Just make it an interesting RP log.  Make sure something interesting is going on in the front, and make it clear that it is an actual log from the game.  Then on the back page it can have information for the MUD.  The idea would be to get people interested in the first few lines enough so that they read the entire thing (keep it small), decide it is cool, and use the contact information on the back page to log in when they go home.

I understand the desire for activities, but the MUD itself really is not much of a spectator sport.  

The only other thing I can think of, and this is utterly ridiculous, would be to set up a TV screen, hitch it to a computer, then run some cool even and have the TV screen show it through the eyes of someone in that event.  Everyone looks at TVs.  It doesn’t matter what is on them.  If something interesting is happening they might stay long enough to be interested and snatch a flyer.  I am just throwing the idea out… I think it would be very tricky to pull off and probably not very realistic.

El Sid

Public Viewing...
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2003, 08:01:59 PM »
Again... setting up an actual computer is going to be a nightmare. It's fairly simple. We post something on here during that weekend. It says "There will be a public showing of the activities in the Barrel and the Sanctuary". That way people will focus around those two areas for the three days. So you get plenty of RP.

One screen, on a laptop.

Rindan

Public Viewing...
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2003, 08:18:13 PM »
Hooking it up to a TV is actually very painless, you just need to hit up radio shack and buy two cords and maybe one adapter.  I have my computer hooked up to a TV and if you know what you are doing it would take all of one minute to get set up.

crymerci

Public Viewing...
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2003, 08:21:20 PM »
I think the point was that a laptop is by definition, light and portable.  TVs (unless you plan on packing a flatscreen in your suitcase) are not.
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

ShaLeah

Public Viewing...
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2003, 09:25:40 PM »
I really like this idea.  I voted for the one and one scenario.

Using a laptop, and I'm fairly certain that we can find two people with wireless access, Radoon comes to mind as having net connection at the hotel for example. Watching can be the seduction.   :twisted:

Here are my suggestions:

Make several DragonCon Accounts, let's say four, for use only at the Con, maybe if it's a success we can make it a yearly thing.
Make characters specifically for the Con, a templar in Nak for example, one who will be instantly feared and able to kick a little ass. A bynner, a hunter in Tuluk, a spice addict.
Have the Immortal support to make things happen for that characters, a simple request on the Imm board should do it, just a "the one-eyed, feminine templar is the Con character, can you all make sure there's something happening for him?".
I don't think the Imm view should be watchable by spectators, that way they can interact themselves should they wanna. Hop into a gith or kank or whatever chaos they feel like starting with the Con Characters.
On the other hand, if watching the scene like a spectator is what you want, I don't think it needs to be an Imm.  It could be an uber thief or something, scare the shit out of the people with some of those dreaded hidden emotes people have been debating about. :)

Rough but do you guys get the picture? Thoughts?
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

House Rising Sun

Public Viewing...
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2003, 10:16:50 PM »
I prefer the booklet idea. Have people submit shor but interesting non-sensitive logs a few pages in length, pick a few, edit them to cut out all the garbage, and put them into a few different pamphlets with the arm logo on the front and a little blurb on the back. A single sheet folded in half would do nicely.

I think having a screen set up would be more interesting and draw more attention, but having someone play there would require a lot of effort and would probably lead to a disaster. Could we have someone record a screen sequence that shows a really exciting or well roleplayed death and play that on a loop, or something?
Dig?

mansa

• Helper
Public Viewing...
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2003, 10:42:16 PM »
psi Atlanta.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

The7DeadlyVenomz

Public Viewing...
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2003, 11:08:05 PM »
While I said combat orientated, I did not mean solely Combat orientated. Just, rather, an uber warrior who spent more time than nessessary in the wilderness. I would be pissed, actually, if the player of the uber character didn't go to whatever populated bar you folks have in the South (sorry, I've forgotten) and try to kick up some RP. I just suggested combat because, truthfully, that is what draws folks in many times...the ability for someone to be a fucking gangster.

On that note, I like the Arena idea. I say make the killer, then make him a slave, and the noble who owns him could parade him about the town during peak player hours for the RP.

The reason I suggest the Immortal view of this uber character's life is because I believe the view can be censored to an extent, and it turns out looking more like a movie. There are not the odd scenes where you say, and then when you emote, it looks like someone else is emoting.

The laptop idea is fine, and with a splitter, the two extra monitors or the TV is no problem whatsoever. If it's critical, I'll set it up and take it down every night.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Malifaxis

Public Viewing...
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2003, 12:04:10 AM »
Idea... it just came to me.

I don't realize how it couldn't have hit me before.

We'd need at least three screens:

One for the gladiator, to display the awesome combat code of Armag, to attract the RP-bent H/S mudders.

One for the nobles booth, to display the intricacies of the upper-social end roleplay.

One for the commoners booth, hopefully populated by crazy Bynners frothing and drinking beer and shouting for their favorite gladiators.

Covers all ends... except the magickal end.  Which would be just too damn hard to do with all the spell possibilities and whatnot.
-Reiloth

2 Lazy 2 Login ShaL

Public Viewing...
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2003, 01:38:59 AM »
Quote from: "Malifaxis"
Idea... it just came to me.

I don't realize how it couldn't have hit me before.

We'd need at least three screens:

One for the gladiator, to display the awesome combat code of Armag, to attract the RP-bent H/S mudders.

One for the nobles booth, to display the intricacies of the upper-social end roleplay.

One for the commoners booth, hopefully populated by crazy Bynners frothing and drinking beer and shouting for their favorite gladiators.

Covers all ends... except the magickal end.  Which would be just too damn hard to do with all the spell possibilities and whatnot.

I've always said that we should have magickers blow shit up in the arena and even went so far as suggesting it in game to a templar I worked for. Great way to make people fear magick too.

I like it!

ShaL
-who is too lazy to log in and cackles evilly at the idea.

Malifaxis

Public Viewing...
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2003, 02:01:20 AM »
Yeah, I submitted a krathi gladiator a while back for NPC...

The lack of response was absolute.

It would be an awesome, awesome way however to cover all of the angles...

Magicker on the arena floor, bynner in the stands, noble/templar overlooking and plenty of other people to interact with.  Make it a northern elf magicker or something to show the racial/geological tensions...

I had a lot more ideas, but my cats are holding a gladiatorial competition about 2 feet away, using varying terrain (a bed matress standing on end) and it's just too cool not to watch.
-Reiloth

Marillo's player

Public Viewing...
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2003, 02:44:19 AM »
I'd be willing to submit logs of some fun stuff, if people wanted.  It could be editted to fit what is willing to be shown to others.

Rindan

Public Viewing...
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2003, 02:58:50 AM »
Not to run fully off topic, but I imagine the reason why they don't have magiker gladiators is two fold.  First, if a Krathi decides he -really- doesn't want to fight and instead if he would rather go out killing as many people as possible, you could sweep a happy wave of fire or some other horror over the audience before someone could put him down.  The other reason I imagine would be the general terror of the populace.  Even if your magiker was not going to try and kill the audience in vengance, there is the small issue of mass hysteria and panic that the audience would be experiencing in fear that the magiker might do just that.  It would be a cool thing to view, but I don't think it will ever happen.

creeper386

Public Viewing...
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2003, 05:03:33 AM »
Also off topic, but you can't really fault no response to a magicker gladiator when everything I've read on submitting a gladiator repeats that only warriors were being accepted? Or perhaps this was before, or I am imagining that fact.

Anyways... I don't know some much of STAGING stuff just for DragonCon. I know more often then not. Some one might like something, but because it was hyped up abit and isn't what they are expecting they won't give it much chance. If they see all this massive action going on at the table, just to log in at home to see a down time of a few hours... Well it'll seem like what they saw at the con was just bullshit to hype up the game. Hype isn't good.

The only thing I could see with a computer connection to the MUD would be to have people start up accounts and try playing, or something ... but don't know how it'd be handled. SHRUG.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Sanvean

• My Website
Public Viewing...
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2003, 12:19:49 PM »
We could set up an account from a frozen pov and just sit them in the Trader's or the Gaj (or the Barrel) and encourage players to frequent whichever establishments during the con.

creeper386

Public Viewing...
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2003, 07:49:49 PM »
Thats probably a good idea. Just as a sort of camera of whats going on? The idea to have some sort of simple RPTs going on would probably be an alright idea.

If the Imms could also change the POV could have someone moving it around to where there is something going on from time to time?

The only problem I see is no matter where it's at there's going to be some passing of knowledge about at least among players that are also there. Shouldn't be too terrible though? SHRUG.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

DrunkenSalarr

• Soot Happens
Public Viewing...
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2003, 01:05:54 AM »
There is also one other problem that no one seems to have mentioned yet.

The biggest, most popular day of Con is Saturday, aka ImmDay.

Will ImmDay be held pre- or post-con so we can actually have something to show on Saturday?   Or, as was mentioned, would it just be wise to set up the "camera" to log everything in one of those locations and have it set to just scroll through some of the more interesting moments at Con?  At least durring Downtime?

El Sid

Public Viewing...
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2003, 02:41:34 AM »
That's a good point.

Perhaps the staff would be willing to postpone or completely bypass immday for that weekend? Especially seeing as a few if not several of the staff members will be attending the Con.

tortall

Public Viewing...
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2003, 06:18:25 PM »
~nod~ Was gonna mention myself what Drunken Salarr said. A lot of the players are probably comming to the con itself, who are we gonna rp with? And most people arn't on during the day, when people arn't partying. And at night.... There's stuff they'd rather be doing than watching someone ELSE play the most awesome MU* ever.

I LOVE the idea, but would it work? Maybe some of us Atlantians can bring our TVs. :-D

-Tortall, who can think of nothing to but here at the moment.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.