Coded de-spamming suggestions for improving RPTs?

Started by Gimfalisette, August 02, 2024, 02:10:05 PM

RPTs are spammy. We all know this. If they were less spammy, we'd probably collectively enjoy them more. Hit me with your best suggestions for codedly reducing RPT spam.

Here are some ideas, probably dumb or impossible, I dunno:
-- When there are more than X PCs in a room, turn "open" and "close" and "get" and "put" and "give" types of commands into hemotes.
-- When there are more than X PCs in a room, turn off purchasing echoes.
-- When there are more than X PCs in a room, turn off echoes for what happens at a table. OR give PCs the option to turn off table echoes.
-- When there are more than X PCs in a room, all regular emotes become hemotes (probably a bad idea).
-- When there are more than X PCs in a room, randomly kill some of them (this might be a bad idea).

The above are the types of spam that I think bother me the most during an RPT. Your suggestions?
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Dont think there needs to be code, just people need to be mindful of excess emoting, and random spam commands when you're in an RPT with so many. Just simple roleplay etiquette. Be part of the scene, not THE scene, kinda thing.

August 02, 2024, 02:35:48 PM #2 Last Edit: August 02, 2024, 02:55:09 PM by Roon
One thing that has helped on other RPIs is a group mechanic. Basically, when a certain number of players follow somebody, they become a 'group' and enable certain code functions like:

- Assess group, assist group, even attacking or shooting a group to let the game pick a random target

- An optional toggle (nosave groups? :p) to choose whether you want to see every individual sdesc when you look in the room, or 'a large group' if there is one

- People can 'look group' to see who's in it, and 'follow group' to follow its leader

- If there are multiple groups, they can be targeted with group, 2.group etc.

- Talk can be used in a group as it works at tables

- If a group is large enough - say, 6+ - emotes from group members are shown only to the group unless you type !emote

- If a group is large enough, it'll say like 'the tall, muscular man walks in from the east, leading a large group' (could be variable, so large / very large / huge group depending on numbers) instead of a full screen of everyone's movement spam. Could highlight the word 'group' both for immediate visibility and to foil anyone who might try to troll people with 'w (leading a large group)'

- Allow setting a dynamic 'brief combat' to automatically toggle on when in a group and off when not

- Unless a target is codedly huge, no more than x number of characters (5?) can attack it at the same time. This is probably less about spam and more about limiting absurd 15v1 dogpiles where targets just insta-splat

Most mud clients have "trigger" options that players can set up to accomplish exactly what the OP is asking for.

You can set a trigger to an alias, and call it "rptON" and another for "rptOFF"

When you type rptON in the game, it triggers the trigger, which squelches any line including %N gets or %N gives.  There's also "combat brief" you can set up via game code options to reduce the spam in combat.

When the rpt is over you type rptOFF and life goes back to normal.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Lizzie has something similar to what I was going to suggest only on Chrome/android there is no decent client that does triggers.

So I guess a 'rpt compact' flag that you can toggle on and off that compacts movement, look, and combat spam down to single line inputs where it can per round and squelches stuff that doesn't affect the user. In order to keep it from messing with people unintentionally, have it turn off on logout automatically.

More than X people in a room means mounts pooping stop giving off echoes.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

See, why I really like Gimf's suggestions is that it would function at any large event, and make subclasses with scan, watch and listen have more applications, including the wilderness forms. It would boost the use of slip, latch, etc, too, because once implemented, there would be specific times and places where it would be advantageous to do so. It's literally opening up roleplay opportunities that are realistic, and gives more reason to use your skills around people.
FN: VooDoo_Tree, Arm: Kevo, Raptor_Dan, Discord: Ain_Soph, Walter_Schmalter, RL: Kevin, Blue Sky, Alex Marzenia.

Your only job is to breathe. Keep breathing.

Color triggers for combat spam are essential.

group combat mechanics. form and enter group. group has collective hp off def weapon skills str agility parry etc. with average of all, then multiplied by a weight that logaritmically scales towards 10 person

Quote from: Gimfalisette on August 02, 2024, 02:10:05 PM...

-- When there are more than X PCs in a room, turn off echoes for what happens at a table. OR give PCs the option to turn off table echoes.

Turning off room echoes for most spammy actions would be nice for all taverns - benches/tables/bars - not just RPTs.

Rpt battles conducted in a pre-staged, enterable "battlefield" with slowed down combat code.  New sector:  battlefield.

Extra benefit for imms so they can localize echoes better and have the proper defensive structures and "capture the flag" goals established.

Oh and it's portable and easy to edit too.

Leave it up a couple days for good times looting up battlefield loot.