Riposte and hacking

Started by Dresan, June 14, 2023, 07:17:01 PM

June 14, 2023, 07:17:01 PM Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 11:10:15 PM by Dresan
I don't think its served the game well to treat these fighter ability like we do backstab and sap. The latter being assassin/criminal ambush skills.

Thematically fighters should be versatile in all weapons so these abilities shouldn't really be limiting the particular weapon category to one or the other.

Instead I propose these skills work with just specific fighting styles.

Riposte would work with all weapons when duel wielding, hacking with two-handed style and finally both styles would work with shield albeit perhaps not as great as with other specific styles.

This would make the sub guilds with these skills rather useful for more than a small subset of classes

Quote from: Dresan on June 14, 2023, 07:17:01 PM
I don't think its served the game well to treat these fighter ability like we do backstab and sap. The latter being assassin/criminal ambush skills.

Thematically fighters should be versatile in all weapons so these abilities shouldn't really be limiting the particular weapon category to one or the other.

Instead I propose these skills work with just specific fighting styles.

Riposte would work with all weapons when duel wielding, hacking with two-handed style and finally both styles would work with shield albeit perhaps not as great as with other specific styles.

This would make the sub guilds with these skills rather useful for more than a small subset of classes

How does one hack with a spear? Or riposte with a mace?

Also, the subguilds that provide the skills also provide the corresponding weapon skills to advanced.
'One fire drives out one fire,
One nail, one nail.
Rights by rights falter,
Strengths by strengths do fail.'

-Tullus Aufidius, Coriolanus by William Shakespeare

June 15, 2023, 06:24:17 AM #2 Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 06:26:47 AM by Jarvis
I politely disagree with this.

Spear and Clubs are treated as the "lowest skill" weapons as they are also the easiest one to use IRL, whilst battleaxes and blades are more specialized . Thus the way I see it, the more """specialized""" weapons have a higher ceiling of utility.

Although in all fairness, whilst it'd be easier to riposte with a sword, you can do it with every other weapon ( kingdom come deliverance has some super sick moves).
Hack has me a bit more stumped.

But overall, with how much utility Fighters lack, those two skills are what make them worth it. And the other two weapon types already have their inbuilt perks. If you could riposte, hack, sap and deal stun damage with a club, that'd be pretty broke
The man puts his tongued, grotesque, translucent groin rig on over his eyes.

In order to have that much combat utility , you'll need to invest in a mundane combat or criminal subguild which is a good trade off.

As it stands now its rarely makes sense unless you intend to train multiple weapon types and that feels a tad excessive. With poison use having been made a bit more flexable with different weapon types I think these two skills should be reviewed as well.

This feels like a non-issue. But that's simply my two cents
The man puts his tongued, grotesque, translucent groin rig on over his eyes.

June 15, 2023, 01:25:33 PM #5 Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 09:19:34 AM by MarshallDFX
Agreed on non issue <mod snip>

Leave as is, of course.

I'm fine with riposte and hack being weapon type based.

I do wish that everyone could get the skill though, it seems crazy that I can become a master and dual wield but can't figure out how to riposte with any skill.  Should be like ride and pilot where everyone can use it.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"