How to exit to log - flee rl

Started by papertiger, June 11, 2023, 05:10:54 PM

So most of us are pretty busy and can't really afford to be logged in all the time. Life summons and we answer. Alas, mom's basement and peeing in bottles is just not a thing for us casuals.
Many times I find myself needing to log off, but something happens and I feel like I have to stay. My character would never peace out on these things or I just oocly feel bad for going poof on people. I really hate the idea that I might be viewed as that guy who always poofs at the worst time.
Any top tier strats for exiting a scene that might matter quite a lot for your character or just without coming off as ooc impolite? Say your boss is going through something fairly important or you have someone who's been waiting to connect with you for a while now.
In another game I played, there were kind of codewords for "I have to go do humany real life things". Is there something here for that? I try to log in when I lnow I'll have a little time to stay, but it can vary unexpectedly when things pull me away again.

Thanks ♡

Various clans have options for this.
Ben has the gate sarge. He's scarier than the corporal, and he doesn't wait for gate duty.
Same with the AoD, and the wall sarge.
Otherwise, I've seen people do a lot, from "gotta pee!" And quitting, to virtual family members.

If all else fails,
Ooc sorry real life

100% is acceptable.
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

Quote from: zealus on June 11, 2023, 05:13:25 PM
If all else fails,
Ooc sorry real life

100% is acceptable.

Anyone who gives you trouble in any way for peacing out of a scene because RL calls should be drawn and quartered.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Normally I have a virtual family or tribe that takes priority. Failing that diarrhea should always work and be reasonably common if usually virtual.

Lotion knows my go-to.

Child Aggro

I also use Wife Aggro and Front Door.

Recently, I've started using teenage daughters bathroom drama.

All of them are true.

Again though, real life comes first every time.

Don't sweat it.

I think the worst thing you can do is NOT say anything and just walk away for half an hour.

It doesn't take long to type:  ooc sorry, gotta run

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote from: Kaathe on June 11, 2023, 08:41:14 PM
Normally I have a virtual family or tribe that takes priority. Failing that diarrhea should always work and be reasonably common if usually virtual.

em a loud gurgling sound begins swelling to a crescendo as @ clutches his lower belly.  He hops off his stool and shoots off toward the doorway.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

i'm not allowed to do "quit ooc pooping" anymore so now i usually type "quit ooc logging out"

you don' owe other players an explanation that they think is acceptable when suddenly logging out. any reason that you think justifies it is acceptable
ooc gotta go
quit ooc gotta go

Well good :) Thanks all. Sounds like I'm likely making myself feel guiltier than I should

If you have to log out then please do!  If you can think of a game thing to say such as "gate capt'n is calling!" or just ooc say got to go.

Now days I use the Kid aggro a lot.  Few years ago I did detail OOC's about what my kid was doing here.  I was told just briefly say got to go.  Little did you all know it was my cry for help! Swarmed by upset knee high kids can happen to me at anytime. Well they've grown some and now fight each other all the damn time
Just having fun.

It's better to use an ic excuse that everyone understands like gate duty etc.

If that fails then just ooc Gotta go, family dinner or whatever. Everyone will understand. Real life comes first.

Only thing I'll hazard about quit ooc, is that you have to then quit out normal after it.  I've had times where I quit ooc feed the dogs and then the next time I have to quit for real.  So I would recommend after you quit ooc and come back the next login, quit regular to cycle it, and come right back so you don't lose your quit ooc if shit goes down.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Quote from: Pariah on June 16, 2023, 10:17:18 AM
Only thing I'll hazard about quit ooc, is that you have to then quit out normal after it.  I've had times where I quit ooc feed the dogs and then the next time I have to quit for real.  So I would recommend after you quit ooc and come back the next login, quit regular to cycle it, and come right back so you don't lose your quit ooc if shit goes down.
+1

Yes remember to reset your ooc quits
Just having fun.

I usually just 'get a message via the Way' I have to take care of.

Or see someone I know.

Or have to take a leak.

Etc.

During a break from Arm I realized one of the things that inhibited enjoyment was the lack of a pause button. Since then I use quit ooc anytime I need to, and it's been great.

It's a game.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Quote from: Lotion on June 12, 2023, 06:43:11 PMi'm not allowed to do "quit ooc pooping" anymore so now i usually type "quit ooc logging out"

you don' owe other players an explanation that they think is acceptable when suddenly logging out. any reason that you think justifies it is acceptable
ooc gotta go
quit ooc gotta go

Quit OOC <reason> - the reason should be a good reason and should be used in cases of where you cannot get to a log out spot in time to do so.  Bathroom break, Issue at home, or something quasi descriptive is preferred.

The tool was put in place for folks that needed to get away in case of emergencies because we all have lives.  It shouldn't be your normal method to log out, so there shouldn't really be a need to reset your Quit OOC.

In the case for me, I tend to come up with a virtual method based on my character.  Militia and Byn have it easy, they can say they are being called on for Wall Duty.  Other PCs might have something like having to check on a vNPC family member, or maybe they are getting sick from the quasi rotten gaspy they ate.  Most of us can realize when someone needs to log out after years of experience playing this game.

I will say though giving some sort of IC reason, even if fake to get you offline, helps with the immersion of the scene that is being played out.  Just standing up, disappearing to quit, can be a bit jarring to the roleplaying going on if others are around.
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

One time I told lotion's character in game:

"I gotta go. I promised my uncle elf that I'd help him fix a chair."

Quote from: Lotion on June 12, 2023, 06:43:11 PMi'm not allowed to do "quit ooc pooping" anymore so now i usually type "quit ooc logging out"

ooc gotta go
quit ooc gotta go
Pretty sure you can type:  quit ooc gotta poop

The requirement is for more than one word it seems to me.

Quote from: Ath on July 10, 2023, 02:45:16 PM

ooc gotta go
quit ooc gotta go

Quit OOC <reason> - the reason should be a good reason and should be used in cases of where you cannot get to a log out spot in time to do so.  Bathroom break, Issue at home, or something quasi descriptive is preferred.

Full 1000% disagree.

I literally used to type garble into it half the time. I shouldn't need a doctor's note to provide to the staff as to the reason I logged off. I need to log off. That's all anyone needs to know.

Quote from: Windstorm on July 11, 2023, 02:58:58 PM
Quote from: Ath on July 10, 2023, 02:45:16 PM

ooc gotta go
quit ooc gotta go

Full 1000% disagree.

I literally used to type garble into it half the time. I shouldn't need a doctor's note to provide to the staff as to the reason I logged off. I need to log off. That's all anyone needs to know.

I would have just pressed the 'like' button, but....
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

No one is asking you for a doctor's note. LOL, I specifically said we don't want a detailed reason.

Let me step in to clarify for any newbies wandering past.

Quit OOC is to be used for RL, not for IG reasons. That's the long and short of it. You can turn off a game, because you need to. Quit OOC is there to respect that.

Quit OOC 'because I don't want to be killed by this scrab' is a garbage reason, and everyone disagreeing with each other in the above thread can agree with this, because the following statement is true: Quit OOC is an OOC command, to be used for OOC reasons.

Providing that reason may not seem important, but if it is always 'Quit OOC I haz cheezeburger' then if you are accused of quitting out to avoid an In Game consequence, and no distinction can be made between this logout and every other time you had a cheeseburger reason, defending you from your accuser becomes more difficult.

Maybe that isn't important to you, but anyone associated with Staff isn't allowed to make distinctions about which parts of the rules are important to players and must reiterate the rules in the same way, every single time.

Ath just wants a valid OOC reason (I'm certain, but might be wrong), and I believe most other people here just want you to feel comfortable using quit ooc, because most of us understand the complex nature of people pleasing, blind interactions with others, authority and inferiority complexes, and really want the nervous, worried, or concerned to know pooping is an ooc function to be respected. All of your biological needs are, it's just things like I haz cheeseburger makes hypothetical problems down the line more complicated. Hope that makes sense. If that hypothetical problem isn't a concern for you, I can accept someone acknowledging or stating that, but cannot accept the chance someone might misunderstand and create a problem for themself without throwing in my two cents /2sid
"...only listeners will hear your true pronunciation."

Quote from: Ath on July 11, 2023, 05:52:29 PMNo one is asking you for a doctor's note. LOL, I specifically said we don't want a detailed reason.

I'm just saying that there shouldn't be a "reason" necessary at all. It's silly.

My official quit OOC reason is now "I haz cheezburger" in protest.

I get what you're saying, but not everyone uses it for the reason it was put into the game.  Some folks have used it for abusive purposes, and such, we request a simple reason.  Those that abuse it will tend to get it taken away from them.

I do agree, having a reason is silly, but when folks are quitting out because they trying to escape something that is trying to kill them, making them put in a reason adds a bit of time and thought to it.  And if we see something that doesn't seem legit, we look at it. But in most cases, we could care less.