Suggestion for Allanaki Nobility

Started by LindseyBalboa, May 20, 2023, 11:41:36 AM

A repeated issue I have seen brought up is the lack of Allanaki nobles in public, especially when compared to Tuluk.

I'm not going to argue the benefits of plot-producing roles being seen and interacted with. Instead, I want to address two things that I've seen brought up by players of Allanaki nobles (that I have also witnessed first or second-hand):

1.) Your noble might get backstabbed day 1 by someone seeking infamy, rep, revenge because of what someone else in your family did, whatever.

Solution: why wouldn't every noble in Allanak be highly trained in defense? Maybe make it scale by important of the house, but just give nobles a really high defense right out of CG. Also a suggestion to players of nobles, having skills like backstab and weapon skills (at any level) will help here.

2.) Your noble is getting disrespected by grubby little commonfolk and there's nothing you can do except wait for a templar to be around to help.

Gross! Okay, so obviously giving nobles a bunch of offensive abilities would be making them into templars. But waiting for templars isn't reactive enough. Players could wish up, but that puts work on staff. Crim code is the domain of the templar. However - what if nobles were coded up a quick command to summon guards already in the room (or adjacent?) only to arrest someone? This would reflect both the high status of the noble by law, and also that they'll have that status more when there are people around to enforce it.

Thanks for reading.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Quote from: LindseyBalboa on May 20, 2023, 11:41:36 AM
A repeated issue I have seen brought up is the lack of Allanaki nobles in public, especially when compared to Tuluk.

I'm not going to argue the benefits of plot-producing roles being seen and interacted with. Instead, I want to address two things that I've seen brought up by players of Allanaki nobles (that I have also witnessed first or second-hand):

1.) Your noble might get backstabbed day 1 by someone seeking infamy, rep, revenge because of what someone else in your family did, whatever.

Solution: why wouldn't every noble in Allanak be highly trained in defense? Maybe make it scale by important of the house, but just give nobles a really high defense right out of CG. Also a suggestion to players of nobles, having skills like backstab and weapon skills (at any level) will help here.

2.) Your noble is getting disrespected by grubby little commonfolk and there's nothing you can do except wait for a templar to be around to help.

Gross! Okay, so obviously giving nobles a bunch of offensive abilities would be making them into templars. But waiting for templars isn't reactive enough. Players could wish up, but that puts work on staff. Crim code is the domain of the templar. However - what if nobles were coded up a quick command to summon guards already in the room (or adjacent?) only to arrest someone? This would reflect both the high status of the noble by law, and also that they'll have that status more when there are people around to enforce it.

Thanks for reading.

Can tell you why in a nutshell.. or, what staff have said about 'sparring' and the like..

Nobles have guards.. if the guards fail to protect the noble, then, that is the guards fault and punishment.  They wouldn't spar or be trained to defend themselves because they wouldn't want bruises on that lovely skin of theirs.

The only place a noble CAN spar is the Tor Academy, which requires staff to WANT the Academy open, and for an active Tor Noble PC to be running it.

Lastly.. Templars will always have all the power, unless a noble has them on REALLY good terms.

The system in Allanak is broken in so many ways.. Red's for example is barely frequented by anyone of 'status' because it is a PK hot spot and staff want to do exactly -nothing- to help this at all.

As per old documentation, only noble children are sometimes taught self defense skills by commoners. Once they reach adulthood(and sometimes before that),a commoner striking them is grounds for death. Nobles can spar each other wherever they want, but the general standard perception is doing so courts death at the hands of the other noble. For this same reason Allanaki nobles do not have a culture of dueling, because the standard noble assumes their counterpart will poison them or cheat.

The Tor Academy is the standard place most virtual nobles get both martial and strategic training. Every house has martial inclined nobles but theyre often seen as belligerent, simple, or lesser compared to their counterparts.

If the NPC nobles have the hotline to the HG paratroopers, I'm _kind_ of on board about PCs having the same idea, but the rhetoric would go from 'Nobles are always hiding in their estates' to 'Nobles are always in public and not doing their damn jobs.' or whatever.

Quote from: Tuannon on May 21, 2023, 08:44:35 AM
If the NPC nobles have the hotline to the HG paratroopers, I'm _kind_ of on board about PCs having the same idea, but the rhetoric would go from 'Nobles are always hiding in their estates' to 'Nobles are always in public and not doing their damn jobs.' or whatever.
Their "damn job" is to be in the public.  They should be the REAL resource PCs.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.