Pursuing Amazing Weapons

Started by cnemus, May 19, 2023, 01:57:19 AM

I didn't want to derail the questions about Crafting High Quality Weapons thread, so reposting tangent here.

Quote from: Armaddict on May 19, 2023, 01:36:10 AM
Quote from: cnemus on May 19, 2023, 01:12:00 AM
Quote from: Brokkr on May 18, 2023, 11:44:02 PM
If you are going so meta to actually ask for an -amazing- weapon IG...I dunno, expect a hard look at your karma or something?

Amazing is a natural language description word and when you look at an 'amazing' weapon that is how it looks. It seems a bit of a contrivance to just not use the word for some reason.

Why would that be something karma is tied to?

He's talking about karma being related to trying to 'game' the system or run some sort of meta thing where you're playing mechanics more than the game.  The impression I get is that 'amazing' quality items are supposed to be few and far between, not something that the playerbase is all formulating a way to get their hands on one.

I'm maybe having a disconnect in my perception here. The acquisition of nice stuff has always seemed a valid motivation to me. What I seem to be hearing (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that it is not appropriate to want better stuff because that is somehow gaming the system? I'm not suggesting it should be easy, but criminalizing a want seems the wrong way to go about regulating it.

By all means, make people compete for them, but if they don't exist to be acquired why do they exist?

This reminds me of the time I branched "knife weapons," and I was trying to ask a Salarr PC to buy a knife weapon.

Me:  I need a knife.

Them: Cool, we have lots of knives. Can you be more specific?

Me: A kniiiiiife knife. You know. A knife knife. That knifes.

Them: I'm not sure I follow.

Me: A knife that's a weapon. A knife weapon. Knife.

They show up with a bejeweled stabbing knife.

Me: No, no...not that kind of knife. You know. The other kind. A knife knife.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

May 19, 2023, 02:38:50 AM #2 Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 02:41:00 AM by Armaddict
Quote from: cnemus on May 19, 2023, 01:57:19 AM
I didn't want to derail the questions about Crafting High Quality Weapons thread, so reposting tangent here.

Quote from: Armaddict on May 19, 2023, 01:36:10 AM
Quote from: cnemus on May 19, 2023, 01:12:00 AM
Quote from: Brokkr on May 18, 2023, 11:44:02 PM
If you are going so meta to actually ask for an -amazing- weapon IG...I dunno, expect a hard look at your karma or something?

Amazing is a natural language description word and when you look at an 'amazing' weapon that is how it looks. It seems a bit of a contrivance to just not use the word for some reason.

Why would that be something karma is tied to?

He's talking about karma being related to trying to 'game' the system or run some sort of meta thing where you're playing mechanics more than the game.  The impression I get is that 'amazing' quality items are supposed to be few and far between, not something that the playerbase is all formulating a way to get their hands on one.

I'm maybe having a disconnect in my perception here. The acquisition of nice stuff has always seemed a valid motivation to me. What I seem to be hearing (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that it is not appropriate to want better stuff because that is somehow gaming the system? I'm not suggesting it should be easy, but criminalizing a want seems the wrong way to go about regulating it.

By all means, make people compete for them, but if they don't exist to be acquired why do they exist?

I edited that post to make a note in other thread.  Sorry, that was poor wording on my part.  What I mean to say is not 'You aren't allowed to have nice things', but I am saying that

QuoteIf you are going so meta to actually ask for an -amazing- weapon IG...I dunno, expect a hard look at your karma or something?

makes it sound like the expectation is that these requests aren't going to be filled willy nilly.  Since it's the crafter's decision on whether to use their CC, I think it's probably avoidance of a player asking leading questions such as 'Can this be of the utmost quality above and beyond the normal?  No?  Okay, I'll check again in a year or two, but I expect you to be ready!' which is just...weird, and meta-ey.  (ETA because I'm on a roll with poor wording:  Basically, my interpretation was that the dogged pursuit of high quality gear is normal, the instantiation of the OOC system into how you pursue it is not the ideal they're striving for.  Again, my interpretation.)
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Ok, let's assume that amazing is best, right?
And a common knowledge suggest that -metal- is best.
So regardless of who makes a knife out of bone or obsidian, be it you the MC or Celebrimbor, it will still not be an amazing one.
Therefore, you cannot craft an amazing weapon.

Quote from: Armaddict on May 19, 2023, 02:38:50 AM
...snip

Thank you. Your clarification makes complete sense. Disconnect resolved.

Quote from: najdorf on May 19, 2023, 02:53:06 AM
Ok, let's assume that amazing is best, right?
And a common knowledge suggest that -metal- is best.
So regardless of who makes a knife out of bone or obsidian, be it you the MC or Celebrimbor, it will still not be an amazing one.
Therefore, you cannot craft an amazing weapon.

Amazing is not best.

I will say, since the new descriptors went in, I hear a lot more of them in game without even an attempt to hide it.

"I want to buy this very good club I saw."
"Everything at the shop is just average."
"I"m not paying -that- much for something that is barely above average."

And alot of chatter seems to revolve around "I want a good+ weapon" or "I want a unique weapon but it should be a very good hammer of some kind".

As I understand it, Amazing Weapons are for Nobility and VERY rare resources that a commoner likely isn't going to be able to afford. And if they are, they likely are a target and better know how to use the weapon.
Even a Salarri can only make a new Amazing recipe every 3 RL months, AND the first two custom crafts need to be along the same idea. So you can't just Custom craft a shitty club, and then a shitty shiv, and then make an AMAZING QUALITY POLEARM.

Its gotten to the point that "average" weapons are just 'shit weapons'. If its not Very Good+ its not worth getting.

I can't wait for the armor changes.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.