Lotion's Question about Immolation

Started by DesertT, May 08, 2023, 01:59:40 PM

Quote from: Lotionwhen's the last time they burned a dude alive for fun in the arena?

Sounds like a FOIC question.

Also, I don't know that any arena events are being ran.

Last time someone ran one, four people showed up.  Two of them were running it.  One left before it even started, leaving only one leftover in the stands.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

you clearly misunderstood the intentions of my question

Quote from: DesertT on May 08, 2023, 01:59:40 PM
Quote from: Lotionwhen's the last time they burned a dude alive for fun in the arena?

Sounds like a FOIC question.

Also, I don't know that any arena events are being ran.

Last time someone ran one, four people showed up.  Two of them were running it.  One left before it even started, leaving only one leftover in the stands.

So you answered your own question, arena events have been so few and far in between that a player has had to resort to asking staff what a nakki commoner _should_ know.
Quote from: Cutthroat on August 22, 2009, 10:57:13 PMSo Eunoli Winrothol, Samos Rennik, and Thrain Ironsword walk into a bar. The Red Fang bartender looks up and says, "Get the fuck out of my bar."

Quote from: DesertT on May 08, 2023, 01:59:40 PM

It was during the dark times of March, where the player base recoiling from drama.  I think it'd fair a bit better now.  Depending on timezone.

The arena is also poorly used (usually).

Nobody cares to see random elf they never heard of insta-gibbed by a gaj. It's not even worth the walk.

Instead, pick BELOVED commoners who can fight and accuse them of something stupid. "You have been accused of littering on Caravan Road. You must now face judgement!"

And then throw them in to face something of equal danger (or not much more) to what they normally face on their average hunting trips, promising to set them free if they win.

You will get a huge crowd, and maybe even a riot!

You used to have arena events where people would be shouting from the stands about bloodying up the Fist or whatever.. Now it's a piss poor execution once every 67 years.

Only solution is 'Be the change' copium in 100mG.

To have arena events, you must first have Allanaki. The people running Allanak have spent the past five years running people off. Fix that, and you might get your arena events.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

It boils down to the same how to make cities more crowded situation.
Unfortunately, no one wants to be a pawn as described here:

"Instead, pick BELOVED commoners who can fight and accuse them of something stupid. "You have been accused of littering on Caravan Road. You must now face judgement!""

In a game where they spend 30 rl days of game play, then to die because game's culture demands chaos.

When people aim for long lived characters, they want before all is safety and longevity. They establish this in their small inner desert circles where above situations do not take place.

You may argue that it is not against the game's theme. But it is what it is, and people will chose safety for longevity.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can have critters and npcs go at each other in the arena too can't you?

Doesn't always require a pc victim does it?

If so, make it a regularly scheduled event to watch some Gith and Elves go at it, nobody likes either of those after all themely.

Fridays at 10pm EST it's your regularly scheduled event in the arena!
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Staff-assisted semi-regular Arena events could be interesting. For every "Steve of the Talons is going up against 4 elven cutthroats!" you could have a couple beasts just go at it and place bets on "who would win? Gigachad brick spider or four baby scrab"
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Long ago I played a Templar named Kishime Fale.  I discovered then that having two equally unskilled PCs fight in the arena was as exciting as two skilled fighters.  So long as their skill levels are comparable, the fight will be competitive.  In Kishime's case he took two misbehaving gemmed mages and forced them to fight each other without use of their magick.

With all the swift dodges and bobbing and weaving, it sure was an entertaining bout.
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

Quote from: Riev on May 10, 2023, 09:05:29 AM
Staff-assisted semi-regular Arena events could be interesting. For every "Steve of the Talons is going up against 4 elven cutthroats!" you could have a couple beasts just go at it and place bets on "who would win? Gigachad brick spider or four baby scrab"

Ideally we've had the PC templars run this, and whenever they do we assist them if they want/need it.  We've always fallen back on "let the PC templar do it", meaning if they don't do it, it doesn't get done.  It's not a bad suggestion for the Southern Team Staff to just go ahead and do it on their off if they want.  We don't -have- to wait on a PC.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: Halaster on May 10, 2023, 11:54:56 AM
Quote from: Riev on May 10, 2023, 09:05:29 AM

Ideally we've had the PC templars run this, and whenever they do we assist them if they want/need it.  We've always fallen back on "let the PC templar do it", meaning if they don't do it, it doesn't get done.  It's not a bad suggestion for the Southern Team Staff to just go ahead and do it on their off if they want.  We don't -have- to wait on a PC.

In my head, its more that staff can see what PCs are around the city who might show up to a bell-tolling, whereas a PC Templar doesn't. For them, they need a 'reason' to have that kind of interaction with a PC, but staff can always see who is about and run something with the PC templars assisting.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.