Luir's/Kurac: Why?

Started by FamousAmos, April 23, 2023, 08:01:29 AM

Quote from: BadSkeelz on May 15, 2023, 08:55:10 PM
Staff will never sign off on "absolute safety." And I don't think they should, as historically rooms approaching that get used for spam-casting.
I don't wanna speak for Riev but my interpretation of his post is not that players should be handed a 100% safe room that's theirs and theirs alone, but rather that is what they want. Wanting a thing doesn't mean it should be given to you. I want my characters to start the game off with 100,000 coins in the bank expressly because nobody else gets that. Pretty sure staff won't sign off on that either.

The locker idea sounds super cool. I just don't know if it will get much use. What people really are demanding is a home in Luir's. Me, personally, I like the idea of limiting the option of an apartment in Luir's to people working there, people who are effectively part of the Outpost rather than some sort of wayward traveler who comes and goes.

nenyuk already had item storage capability. does that still exist in game? i dont remember the syntax

Quote from: najdorf on May 16, 2023, 03:24:39 AM
nenyuk already had item storage capability. does that still exist in game? i dont remember the syntax

The utility of Nenyuk's item storage is pretty limited. It's one item at a time and the cost is prohibitive in a lot of cases. Really it's for storing your valuables. Have an extremely expensive necklace? Or a rare artifact? Something you are worried might get stolen basically, then storing at Nenyuk is good for that. If you have a sack of stones you've just grebbed and want somewhere safe to throw them down while you wait for a buyer.. then Nenyuk does not work for that.

perhaps the code at that can be modified to a weight based system, which also include containers. you put many items in a bag and then store the bag with its contents at a price linked to weight

Quote from: najdorf on May 16, 2023, 04:43:58 AM
perhaps the code at that can be modified to a weight based system, which also include containers. you put many items in a bag and then store the bag with its contents at a price linked to weight
This is what I had meant in my first post in this thread, about expanding the Nenyuki account services.

I would like to mention that what is being asked for in this thread existed/exists (?) in game already, and it never stopped me from thiefing anything I wanted.
If you want to steal from someone's safety deposit box, just rent your own box, get into the vault, and pick the lock.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Kestria on April 23, 2023, 02:40:31 PM
Luirs Vs Cities...

The main thing here being is.. there are a lot of witches in the world.  And playing witches can either mean go to Tuluk and get killed, or go to Allanak and get enslaved, OR, go to Luirs and Storm, be known about and be free to do as you want, with yes, still danger around, and you know, eww witch, but, not outright death or enslavement.

Another thing, yes, you'll hate me saying it, but,, no nobles/templars no one around to have their guards pin you against a wall and shake you down for the 300 sid you've just spent all day making.  No templar breathing down your neck for having to buy a merchants license to sell the 3 chaltons hides you just managed to get.  No trigger happy city assassins going to slit your throat with 0 RP because they want that 300 sid too, including hte boots off your feet.

Luirs/Red Storm/Tribes are very popular at the moment, and this is why this subject keeps coming up, my speculation is because people have got bored of being robbed, killed, and squashed in cities.  All of the changes at the moment seem to be staff trying to subtly direct people back in to the cities, and, this keeps coming up because people are simply not wanting to. 

Any apartments again in Luirs isn't going to happen, staff are solid on this, because they want people in the cities.

Rise up and kill all the templars and nobles, start a revolution people :P

This isn't wrong. Whether it's mundane or not, I don't enjoy people breathing down my pcs necks. Full stop. You want me in cities, give me all the latitude of a noble and none of the responsibility of a sponsored role, because I don't like randomly answering sponsored role pcs that would rather be into the feels about their superiority rather than trade stuff as the key element of why their role was sponsored.

I've suggested trying ways to get to this a number of times because I would love to be a purely ornamental noble that does nothing but f*cking nonsense and draws other people into it all the time. But I'm never getting that with the sponsored role system. 12 years of attempts to no avail. And it's a shame, too. I have some pretty interesting concepts rattling around but. City based characters are not compatible with my playstyle for a good 10 years now.

QuoteI've suggested trying ways to get to this a number of times because I would love to be a purely ornamental noble that does nothing but f*cking nonsense and draws other people into it all the time. But I'm never getting that with the sponsored role system. 12 years of attempts to no avail. And it's a shame, too. I have some pretty interesting concepts rattling around but. City based characters are not compatible with my playstyle for a good 10 years now.

So this sucks, I've never had the experience of just being rejected for a role time and time again.  Mostly because I don't apply time and time again.  These nobles can and have existed, though.  Many times.  The 'do nothing' types.  I'm going to say something that makes it seem like I'm trying to validate this lack of you getting it, and I'm not.  Just purely as one player to another, whenever you -do- get this role, I want to say:

If you hate the system, the city, the feeling of being the little guy in it, I really don't want you playing the big guy yet.  Once someone is embracing that little guy role, and knows how it feels to be in all those situations, and has been in the shitty ones, the good ones, and everything in between, and -likes it-?  That's who goes there.  Putting someone into the role who hates the way things are is just asking for someone who will end up arguing, telling everyone staff hates them and wouldn't facilitate anything, and is upset because they couldn't change the world.  All because they wanted to use the role over the thing they hate.

Not saying you'd do this.  Just saying I've seen it before, and if you do end up getting the role you've asked for for so long in the place you say you don't like...don't fall into this trap. It's literally unenjoyable for every single person.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

If templars did more incentivizing violence towards non-citizens and less violence to their own citizens I think there would be a big shift.

I mean, violence/oppression towards their own citizens is very thematic, but when there's all these rich hippy upstarts running around the wastes without anyone's thumb on them.... what kind of a tyrant do you think you are anyways!?

Imagine if your PC felt more scared of getting robbed/raided four leagues outside Allanak's gates then the other way around.

Open season on foreigners, please!

Quote from: Armaddict on May 16, 2023, 11:39:11 AM
QuoteI've suggested trying ways to get to this a number of times because I would love to be a purely ornamental noble that does nothing but f*cking nonsense and draws other people into it all the time. But I'm never getting that with the sponsored role system. 12 years of attempts to no avail. And it's a shame, too. I have some pretty interesting concepts rattling around but. City based characters are not compatible with my playstyle for a good 10 years now.

So this sucks, I've never had the experience of just being rejected for a role time and time again.  Mostly because I don't apply time and time again.  These nobles can and have existed, though.  Many times.  The 'do nothing' types.  I'm going to say something that makes it seem like I'm trying to validate this lack of you getting it, and I'm not.  Just purely as one player to another, whenever you -do- get this role, I want to say:

If you hate the system, the city, the feeling of being the little guy in it, I really don't want you playing the big guy yet.  Once someone is embracing that little guy role, and knows how it feels to be in all those situations, and has been in the shitty ones, the good ones, and everything in between, and -likes it-?  That's who goes there.  Putting someone into the role who hates the way things are is just asking for someone who will end up arguing, telling everyone staff hates them and wouldn't facilitate anything, and is upset because they couldn't change the world.  All because they wanted to use the role over the thing they hate.

Not saying you'd do this.  Just saying I've seen it before, and if you do end up getting the role you've asked for for so long in the place you say you don't like...don't fall into this trap. It's literally unenjoyable for every single person.

Unless the OOC theme is also supposed to be oppression it absolutely should not. I don't like being the guy who walks out of char gen and 3 hours in has some asshole in a sponsored role trying to shake my broke ass grebber in newbie gear down for three small because they've run off everyone else who wants to interact with them. Hard pass. And you know, as someone who doesn't enjoy experiencing that? I'd be the last one to do that to another player. I am very familiar with all tiers of Allanaki Society. Fact of the matter is, some of them just aren't fun for me to engage in as the character experiencing that as a player. If that means I never get to play other roles, that's fine. Playing is 100% optional in any location at all.

May 18, 2023, 02:15:34 PM #59 Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 02:17:49 PM by Inks
Armaddict is right in his previous post and he was pretty diplomatic about it. This is pretty off topic though.

...scrolling up I already answered the original topic and was objectively correct. Nice.

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Luir's was one of my favorite places to be. A lot of good memories there.

It's a shame the staff will not allow it to be rebuilt in any fashion.

Quote from: NinjaFruitSalad on June 04, 2023, 10:36:14 PM
Luir's was one of my favorite places to be. A lot of good memories there.

It's a shame the staff will not allow it to be rebuilt in any fashion.

https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,59492.0.html

"3-6 months (??):

... Revisit Luir's, its place in the world, its setup (staff)..."

maybe some fashion, after all. it's on the agenda at least.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

June 17, 2023, 09:19:08 AM #64 Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 09:41:34 AM by Inks
I agree with not having the apartments there. Would kill the pop everywhere else with all the endless rogues in there practicing magick and mudsex (don't say it wasn't like this hehe).

Luirs apartments were only put in because Tuluk closed, they are no longer needed at all and it showed a lot of forethought from the imms at the time to plan that as part of that war. That war plot was just awesome (20ish years ago). I think almost every player was surprised when they re-opened Tuluk, great job.

Luirs is still awesome, and will always be the awesome trade hub where gemmed and northern hicks can get into an angrily ignoring each other competition.

It really is the only relatively safe neutral ground for cross city stuff too, and Luirs Festivals are the best for rival RP and for northern and southern importants to icily interact.

I think I may have said all this but it is possible I added something new to my previous statement. Thanks.