Making the nights more interesting...

Started by Pariah, February 23, 2023, 11:25:27 AM

So I'll admit that there is one thing that depresses me instantly upon logging into the game.

time
It is late at night on Terrin, the 123rd day of the Descending Sun,
In the Year of Desert's Agitation, year 14 of the 23rd Age.

Because if you're in a city there is sorta shit all to do at night.  Sometimes you can get lost in playing with others, but that requires well others, and other times you just are forced to go AFK till dawn comes and you can actually go do things.

Some other threads have brought up some things that I think would help stem some of that.

• Make it so there are less nights you can't see shit when you go outside.  The weather seems to lean heavily towards no sun = blind in the streets.
  • Maybe have animations on deck for various taverns and gathering places.  Be it scripted spars/bar brawls or bard shit etc.  Something that can play in the background and your character (and you) can enjoy and watch.  Maybe have them able to be submitted by players and then added to a queue of night activities that players on random at the Gaj or whatever bar.

Or...open the gates and let us go get killed at night time....
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Being unable to see at night in the city should be the exception and not the norm.

It should be reserved for tremendous storms and nothing less.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

be stalker/scout/adventurer so you can log back out again

if you're not stalker/scout/adventurer (lmao why) then check the main website before logging in since it'll tell you what what time of day it is

Quote from: Lutagar on February 23, 2023, 11:57:31 AM

if you're not stalker/scout/adventurer (lmao why) then check the main website before logging in since it'll tell you what what time of day it is

'We have a solution! Just don't play!'

Yeah. I get why the city indoors/outdoors thing was technically a bug that got fixed, but practically, I think it did more harm than it did good.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Yeah but this isn't really a good solution, you're telling folks to just log out at night, so then it cascades because folks log in and go who, shit only four players, fuck this and log off.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

February 23, 2023, 12:09:57 PM #5 Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 12:12:03 PM by Lutagar
Quote from: Patuk on February 23, 2023, 11:59:42 AM

'We have a solution! Just don't play!'

Yeah. I get why the city indoors/outdoors thing was technically a bug that got fixed, but practically, I think it did more harm than it did good.

the perception of danger is more important to some people than respecting a player's time

though 99% of the time the danger is just negated by waiting patiently and not moving. storms exist to waste your time, they're working as intended. the danger comes from not being willing to have your time wasted and moving.

You can use the exits command to tell where you are going in the dark when there is zero visibility.

When using light sources and the storm is thick, you can use this to walk around at night without getting lost unless the storm sucks, the mediocre storm can't stop you that much from pathing to a bar.

Player 1:
Walks past. "Oh, an empty tavern, guess I'll log out for the night."

Player 2:
Walks past. "Oh, an empty tavern, guess I'll log out for the night."

Player 3:
Sits in tavern.

Player 4:
"Oh, people!"

You ARE the things to do, you CHOOSE not to make yourself available :D

Ideas for night time:

Make nights almost always have visibility in cities.  Add streetlamps etc, as a reasoning for this.

Keep shops open all night.

Bring back NPC entertainers and night time entertainment halls.

Move major barracks and hubs closer to the taverns (they don't have to be right next door, but not across the city) to encourage people gathering at night.

Make it so that all crime can be committed at night without being flagged, with the exception of how tavern zoning is now set up and make a similar zoning for major estates/barracks.  Making the streets more dangerous and the taverns/places in public safe hubs.  Safety in numbers.

Have NPCs with special trinkets/items visit taverns at night - like your local, industrious tamale or flower seller at the bars IRL.

Quote from: Bebop on February 23, 2023, 01:07:36 PM
Ideas for night time:

Make nights almost always have visibility in cities.  Add streetlamps etc, as a reasoning for this.

Move major barracks and hubs closer to the taverns (they don't have to be right next door, but not across the city) to encourage people gathering at night.

Make it so that all crime can be committed at night without being flagged, with the exception of how tavern zoning is now set up and make a similar zoning for major estates/barracks.  Making the streets more dangerous and the taverns/places in public safe hubs.  Safety in numbers.

Have NPCs with special trinkets/items visit taverns at night - like your local, industrious tamale or flower seller at the bars IRL.

Fuck yeah, all this would be cool.

If you goto third world countries like the Philippines the bars are always filled with street vendors, trying to sell you snacks, or chocolate or flowers for the girl you're sitting with.  I don't see how Zalanthas wouldn't have this type of third world flair.

Ideas for night time:

Shops being open at night would be really nice.
I was told this game was full of twinks, all I found was power gamers.

February 23, 2023, 01:15:55 PM #11 Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 01:21:51 PM by Bebop
Quote from: Pariah on February 23, 2023, 01:11:59 PM
Ideas for night time:

Fuck yeah, all this would be cool.

If you goto third world countries like the Philippines the bars are always filled with street vendors, trying to sell you snacks, or chocolate or flowers for the girl you're sitting with.  I don't see how Zalanthas wouldn't have this type of third world flair.

I once bought a chocolate labia at a bar from a vendor just roaming the bars with chocolate labia pops. - heh.

Quote from: Kavrick on February 23, 2023, 01:14:10 PM
Ideas for night time:

Shops being open at night would be really nice.

Yeah. I remember before they had threads asking how to make the cities more appealing. Most to all of the shops in cities were open at night during those times. Then someone changed that. For "realism" I think. Which is only silly when you consider that if you want people in clans those clans have schedules that keep you busy except during night time. But. I'm also just anti closing shops at night. It's a desert world. If you're going to close shops for 2 hours, close them during high sun and early afternoon when it's hottest out. If we're playing realism, this is when people in hot places nap. <3

February 23, 2023, 01:23:42 PM #13 Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 01:29:18 PM by Windstorm
I'd love it if shops didn't close. At least the vast majority of them, unless there was a specific reason? It's hard enough doing things at night.

I think part of the idea of shops being closed at night was to try and funnel more action into communal spaces. Shops being open means you never once have to congregate anywhere.

I'm okay with shops being open at night, so long as there's still less soldiers/crim code. I want to punish the person doing 3000 coin Salarr trades in the middle of the night. Dumb fuckin' Runners.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I think shops being open is more of a playability issue to prevent dead air.  It's really hard when a group is trying to get ready and they have to leave at dawn and you run to go get something and you can't and everyone has to wait.  Just gives people more to do in an otherwise downtime.

Quote from: Bebop on February 23, 2023, 01:51:38 PM
I think shops being open is more of a playability issue to prevent dead air.  It's really hard when a group is trying to get ready and they have to leave at dawn and you run to go get something and you can't and everyone has to wait.  Just gives people more to do in an otherwise downtime.
Correct, say you're trying to sell to X shop that only is open dawn-dusk.  You go craft your shit at night, then have to spend ten minutes running around the city after you've idled in the bar for twenty.  By the time you get rinse/ready to repeat and go back out, you're at late morning or high sun, half the day is wasted for shit I could have used that time at night to do.

Quote from: Pariah on February 23, 2023, 01:53:43 PM
Correct, say you're trying to sell to X shop that only is open dawn-dusk.  You go craft your shit at night, then have to spend ten minutes running around the city after you've idled in the bar for twenty.  By the time you get rinse/ready to repeat and go back out, you're at late morning or high sun, half the day is wasted for shit I could have used that time at night to do.

What I'm reading, here, is "I choose to craft at night. It is frustrating to me that I have to spend time in the mornings selling off my things because I can't sell at night."

Is that correct?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

February 23, 2023, 02:25:19 PM #18 Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 02:42:02 PM by Pariah
Quote from: Riev on February 23, 2023, 02:18:25 PM
Quote from: Pariah on February 23, 2023, 01:53:43 PM

What I'm reading, here, is "I choose to craft at night. It is frustrating to me that I have to spend time in the mornings selling off my things because I can't sell at night."

Is that correct?

Well sorta, the only reason any of my characters are ever in town is because it's night, or because they are hurt.  So I spend the nights doing the boring shit, crafting and bar sitting.

Then have to waste a good chunk of my day selling my spoils before I can go back out and get to the fun part again.

I don't want anyone to think that anything is broken per say, it's just super inefficient and makes city activities a chore.

Alternate shops/a night market that springs up in the 2-3 tiles outside of the Gaj or whatever.  Give people a reason to show up to buy/sell and then grab a drink.

If keeping a shop open all day, make NPC's rotate (even if it's just a change of their sdesc). Like a night shift/day shift NPC with access to the same inventory. I personally like to imagine NPC's having a life so they lock up shop at night and, ya know, sleep or go out to the tavern. Whatever.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on February 24, 2023, 01:07:53 AM
If keeping a shop open all day, make NPC's rotate (even if it's just a change of their sdesc). Like a night shift/day shift NPC with access to the same inventory. I personally like to imagine NPC's having a life so they lock up shop at night and, ya know, sleep or go out to the tavern. Whatever.

It'd be cool if there was a "Night Market" both in the Labyrinth and the Allanak Bazaar. A new set of NPCs with weird, different, semi-illegal shit to sell roll up and unroll a mat, and disappear at dawn.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

I'm loving a lot of the shit you guys are thinking up, hopefully some of it makes it into the game.

I personally think since you're a captive in Allanak and Red Storm at night, there shouldn't be all these closed shops because what else are you supposed to do?

It's all fine and dandy to roleplay when you get the opportunity, but as has been stated in other threads, most people don't actually hang out in taverns and shit anymore so that's few and far between.

If more things were accessible at night at least I wouldn't feel the need to just idle away the phases of night in a tavern/compound or whatever.

I have no issues with night. I know night is coming and I go find a safe spot to chat, Way, craft, twink spells, or whatever that character does.

It's like 20 minutes long.