What's a half-giant to do?

Started by EvilRoeSlade, November 28, 2003, 01:06:11 PM

Well, I just created my half-giant hunter, surviving against all odds not through wit, skill, or prowess, but simply because he's bigger than just about everything.

But today I tried to build a campfire and realized... I can't.  I can't hold the five items necessary to create one.  I can only manage four, and that's if I hold one using the es command and then remove it after I've got three in my inventory.

Has anybody ever gotten by this code quirk?
Back from a long retirement

Roe, that's not a code quirk - it's an effect of the HG low agility.  Half giants aren't that capable of thinking five steps ahead, so carrying a lot of things may be well above their capacity, not to mention actually following a series of steps to build something.

Consider yourself lucky, however, for I had a HG that was only able to carry 1 item at a time.  And -that- was taxing at times.

LoD

Yes, I realize that my inventory limit is based on my agility, which is low.  But if you think that's realistic,  or just because I'm too stupid to pile up a bunch of twigs and then scrape some flint together, then I disagree.
Back from a long retirement

Something along the order of "packages of arrows" and the new script for merchant shops:

The ability to bundle like items. You've got 10 twigs, all exactly the same...

get twig
get twig
bundle twig twig
You now have a bundle of twigs.

get twig
bundle twig twigs
You now have a bundle of twigs

get twig
bundle twig twigs
You now have a bundle of twigs

To acquire one of the bundle:

rem twig twigs
You remove one twig from a bundle of twigs.
inv
a twig
a bundle of twigs

To completely unbundle:

unbundle twig

You unbundle six twigs, dropping a few in the process.

l
You see this place you're in.
A couple of twigs lay in the dust here.

inv
a few twigs

It works in other game codebases, maybe it could work in Arm?

That wouldn't help most likely though Bestatte. As if they unbundle it and drop what they can't carry, they still can't carry the number of twigs they need to start the fire.

You'd think size alone though would give them an advantage to carrying more things... Specially when alot of those twigs could easiely rest in one hand, wouldn't require massive agility or intelligence.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

If you have a bundle of 5 twigs, and you need 5 twigs to start a fire, then you have .. the five twigs you need to start the fire. You wouldn't have to unbundle them. So instead of

craft twig twig twig twig twig twig into fire

You'd just

craft bundle fire

or whatever the syntax is to do it. As long as the bundle contains the correct number of components, I don't see why this would be a problem.

Or you could build an emote fire, that's what we used to do.  You pretend to build a fire, and then you change your ldesc to indicate you are sitting in front of a fire, or drop an object that indicates it is in the fire.  A virtual fire works just as well for cooking your food.  The only thing a virtual fire doesn't do is light up the room, so you still need a lamp or torch for that.  No biggie.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

drop twig lying above the coals of the fire.
Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeys
Don't enter the Labyrinth.
They don't call it the Screaming Mantis Tavern to be cute. It's called foreshadowing. First there's screaming, then mantis head.

I also suggest the emotive fire. The new code for fires is nice and well-recieved, but still, there is much to be said for the ancient manner of emoting these nifty fires out.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I'd like to see a minimum number of items everyone could have in their inventory, like two.

I've been able to get on of my half giants to the point where he could fit zero items in inventory.  Fun.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Now, that's ridiculous...personally, I think there should be a minimum as well.  However, possibly have it be racially based?  Half-giants, having massive hands that several items could fit in no matter how slow and moronic the half-giant, should have a higher minimum than others, so maybe a three or four...everyone else have a minimum of two.  Of course, if anyone would like to hold more than the racial minimum, they'd better have the agility for it.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

You guys have just given me a new character idea... a half-giant bard who specializes in juggling twigs, lighting them on fire in midair, and then dropping them into a nifty campfire-like pile. OH, the fun I'll have practicing THAT!  :twisted:

Back to topic, maybe the solution is to modify things just a bit so that you can start a fire with the twigs on the ground? Half-giant dumps the wood on the ground, and then tries to figure out how to make it burn. Then tries to figure out how to make it STOP, as the Grey Forest burns down around him. "Oops... didn't want it THAT warm."

The grinning one-eyed half-giant says in sirihish while pointing towards the blazing forest: "Ooohh! Me do good, make BIG fire!"

The dark hooded figure says in sirihish: "Yup, but even you are gonna have a hard time eating all that burned meat"

The grinning one-eyed half-giant blinks at the dark hooded figure with his single bloodshot eye.

Anyway, Maybe just make a campfire that is HG craftable, one that uses say, split logs, Then you would just need a couple logs in inv and another item, turn both logs into split logs, which should give you enough split logs and craft the campfire.

As far as other craftables are concerned, just gotta play it off as being to complicated for him/her.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "spawnloser"Now, that's ridiculous...personally, I think there should be a minimum as well.  However, possibly have it be racially based?  Half-giants, having massive hands that several items could fit in no matter how slow and moronic the half-giant, should have a higher minimum than others, so maybe a three or four...everyone else have a minimum of two.  Of course, if anyone would like to hold more than the racial minimum, they'd better have the agility for it.

It will also work in the opposite, spawnloser.

Some things are just to small to carry easily, and even if you clench your fist, its bound to get uncomfortable.

For instance, carrying a handful of pebbles. Your going to drop em and feel uncomfortable.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Heh, I guess that is part of the reason you don't see many half-giant merchants, eh?  Poor things probably can't craft all that well if they carry much in their inventories.  Seeing a half-giant barter could be fun though, I imagine it wouldn't be based so much on craftiness as on sheer stubborness.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

QuoteSome things are just to small to carry easily, and even if you clench your fist, its bound to get uncomfortable.

For instance, carrying a handful of pebbles. Your going to drop em and feel uncomfortable.

Some items have this code in game.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!