Stat rolls and the experience of having good/bad stats

Started by Kavrick, February 15, 2023, 08:43:41 AM

Quote from: Miradus on February 20, 2023, 02:38:56 PM

Sometimes it's not always that you let them live, but they escape from the situation anyway.

But if you've never let a wimpy would-be adversary live to come back after you again at a later time, I encourage you to try it. When they are a good roleplayer, I always try to allow for that. Especially if I can maim them in some way to get them to come back for revenge.

Probably 90% of the time when I go after someone in PK, I don't really care if they live or die. It's the fight that is important. Not the outcome.

+1 to pulling knives at the drop of a hat regardless of days played or stats.

+1 to making long-term enemies. but also +1 to the good roleplayer that gets away, or that you get away from, that makes it fun. drinks at the bar, mockery, maiming, blood debts, whatever.

played out vendettas are *chef's kiss*
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Quote from: Kavrick on February 15, 2023, 08:43:41 AM
What do people think about stat rolls? Do people think that people should be able to improve their stats through play? What do people usually do if they roll a bad-statted combat character? How do people feel about combat characters being a little MAD (Multi-ability dependant) compared to other character types? Just generally want to get an idea of what people think, as personally I find it really hard to find the enthusiasm to play a character with poorly rolled stats.

While yes, starting a fresh PC and rolling pretty average or poor stats is relatively demoralizing - It isn't end all. I've know of and played PC's with relatively bad stats, and still played them in their roles successfully.

I will say, good stats significantly increase the odds of your character's early survival stages of your playtime, but with enough experience as a player, you learn that base stats aren't all that apply. I've face-rolled PC's with stupidly high stats, in a fight, just because I had more skills at a higher experience than them.

So, just like IRL, there are some people who have better genetics, better reflexes, and a higher IQ than others. Does that mean people give up on their goals and dreams just because there is someone who can do it better? Absolutely not. If they did, humanity wouldn't have advanced beyond cavemen.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

One of my recent characters had pretty average stats and she was easily one of my favorites. It sure does feel GREAT when I land some delicious stataroonies though. I feel it chafes the most when you lose a beloved character and then your next PC is atrocious.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on February 25, 2023, 11:58:44 PM
So, just like IRL, there are some people who have better genetics, better reflexes, and a higher IQ than others. Does that mean people give up on their goals and dreams just because there is someone who can do it better? Absolutely not. If they did, humanity wouldn't have advanced beyond cavemen.

Well said.

"Comparison is the thief of joy."