Master Combat Skills limited to Subclasses

Started by mansa, January 24, 2023, 11:51:59 AM

Quote from: Svalinya on January 26, 2023, 05:28:52 AM
All this really accomplishes is ensure that 0 karma players don't have access to heavy combat and that older players/staff faves with karma do.

I don't know that I'd call 'people who have played 6mo to a year' staff faves, but I do agree that if we did this we'd need to make all mundane subs 0k.

All this really accomplishes is ensure that 0 karma players don't have access to heavy combat and that older players/staff faves with karma do.

My understanding is there's plans to do away with the difference between standard and extended subclasses. Elsewise, I'd agree with you.

Quote from: Narf on January 26, 2023, 01:13:27 PM

My understanding is there's plans to do away with the difference between standard and extended subclasses. Elsewise, I'd agree with you.

I got kind of sidetracked by the karma change.  And while goal is still the same on my side, approach may differ.  Just haven't gotten time to get back to it.

Quote from: Brokkr on January 26, 2023, 02:02:07 PM
Quote from: Narf on January 26, 2023, 01:13:27 PM

I got kind of sidetracked by the karma change.  And while goal is still the same on my side, approach may differ.  Just haven't gotten time to get back to it.

Would you be averse to just setting the ESG's to 0 karma in the meantime as a 'stopgap'?
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

January 29, 2023, 07:19:39 AM #29 Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 07:43:15 AM by Gunnerblaster
Having come back, after years away, and seen the changes made to magic - While I thought it was neat that they were now broken up, I was largely concerned with the fact that magic users, other than their limited spell list pertaining to just their own specializations, are now on par with all mundane classes.

I really would love to see more strength to Subclasses and less to Main Classes, to balance it out. Not every soldier is going to be the same. One soldier may, in his free time, decided to continue to advance his mastery of a specific weapon and combat style while another soldier, on their free time, choose to dabble in crafting or hunting.

This way, a mundane Fighter+Swordsman may have a slight advantage over your run of the mil Fighter+Empowerment Rukkian because while one was learning to master Ruk to empower themselves, the other dedicated more time and effort to honing their skill with the blade.

Reducing the skill cap by one tier, for every combat class, and increasing the skill cap by one tier for every combat subclass would be an awesome step in the right direction.

I mean, for comparison, an old school 10 day Ruk+Aggressor vs a 10 day Fighter+Empowerment(Ruk)  is gonna see the Fighter+Empowerment(ruk) win, 9 times out of 10.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Skill caps seem almost irrelevant, at least for me. In ~20 years I don't think I have ever hit 'advanced' with a single weapon skill (meanwhile combat skills routinely hit advanced/master), I guess I am doing something wrong.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

January 29, 2023, 03:43:02 PM #31 Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 03:47:03 PM by LindseyBalboa
Quote from: Dan on January 29, 2023, 03:20:01 PM
Skill caps seem almost irrelevant, at least for me. In ~20 years I don't think I have ever hit 'advanced' with a single weapon skill (meanwhile combat skills routinely hit advanced/master), I guess I am doing something wrong.

the amount of worry people put into master weapon skills is pretty funny considering how infrequently people have master weapon skills - which is a little off topic of me.

I really agree that ESGs should just be 0 karma today instead of waiting for more changes; not to replace the changes but as an interim measure. There's not really any staff trust or thematic hardship in having a master craft instead of an advanced, or riposte and combat/swords on a stalker.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

January 29, 2023, 06:30:10 PM #32 Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 08:20:39 PM by Bogre
I am against changing the caps or skills for magickers vs mundanes. Magickers already do give up their subclass stuff, and a heavy combat main drops a lot of versatility.

I would instead be in support of a system giving mundanes perks or boosts over time played that makes them attractive in comparison.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.