Flee skill

Started by Dresan, January 21, 2023, 01:33:20 PM

I just wanted to state that I really believe the flee skill is one of those skills that has never been given the respect it deserves based on the fact that it has been given out like free candy to most of the classes.

Even in the current iteration of the game, the only class that should have the flee skill is probably just the pure fighter class. In my eyes, its a pvp defense skill that is no less useful than high level shield and parry yet its fairly common skill at the moment. This allows everyone and their mothers to bypass the danger of finding yourself engaged in combat with enough twitchy response or macros. The benefits of this skill against NPC is also incredibly useful but its easier to avoid situations where an npc engages you.

I am not sure if we will be getting new classes at some point but I am hoping that the flee skill becomes much more restricted in the future.

...My only question is: Why?

This is a really bad idea, like, objectively--imagine getting attacked in the street as a crafter and you literally can't do anything but watch your own character die because somehow you don't know how to run because you learned how to sew pretty clothes.
My brain is constantly filled with the sound of elevator music, as the Gods intended.

Quote from: HazelHomewrecker on January 21, 2023, 01:40:37 PM
...My only question is: Why?

This is a really bad idea, like, objectively--imagine getting attacked in the street as a crafter and you literally can't do anything but watch your own character die because somehow you don't know how to run because you learned how to sew pretty clothes.

I mean, I think Hazel neatly summed up my entire thoughts here. If you want someone to be unable to run away at all, you're basically just asking to have the ability to do apartment killings in the street for 14/15ths of the classes it feels like? I mean, if that's what you want, just make an assassin and go do apartment killings because they're cheap but that seems like what you're looking for?

How hard do you think it is to turn around and run? And against multiple opponents, you can fail, but its still possible.

I mean, you can flee without having the skill. If there's more than one exit, it isn't even hard. The flee skill mostly just lets you avoid attacks of opportunity and gives you a better chance to escape subdue, as well as the ability to choose which direction you flee in.

This would make encounters with critters a lot more deadly because you either can't get away, or get chomped on even if you manage to run. Hard no.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

January 21, 2023, 03:44:23 PM #6 Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 03:48:11 PM by Dresan
As someone has already mentioned, you can still flee without the flee skill, its just you don't avoid that attack of opportunity.

Additionally, out of all the classes that have it, heavy merchant classes which arguable would benefit from it the most, don't get the skill.

Lastly if you are dying to NPC, that is really on you, your PC was probably somewhere they shouldn't have been or doing something they shouldn't have been doing.

Again, the flee skill is very useful which is why it should be more restricted than it currently is, if people want it then there are always subguild options.

All that said, its not something I predict ever changing in this iteration of the game but would be nice to see change in future at some point.

it's a permadeath game people play for fun chill out haha.

however... it would be rad to have more options to remove the ability to flee combat. Using multiple PCs requires a lot fo coordination and luck, and there are very few single PC ways to effectively enforce immobility - allowing more emoting over a single emote and the quickest murder possible.

Perhaps a successful threaten option (instead of bash) could be to remove the ability to flee for either PC for 30s-60s or something, in exchange for giving up the option of a backstab/sap. It wouldn't put them on the ground or give your opponent any malus, damage, or disadvantage - just keep the two PCs from fleeing.

Or something idk.

Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Four pc's can negate the flee skill entirely, by having high guard. Four guards can apartment murder anyone. No need to nerf flee, just get a big goon to block the alley. Coordination between combatants is the most lethal skills, negating most others. I see no need to change the skills here, just the rp or tactics.
"...only listeners will hear your true pronunciation."

Quote from: Dresan on January 21, 2023, 03:44:23 PM
As someone has already mentioned, you can still flee without the flee skill, its just you don't avoid that attack of opportunity.

Additionally, out of all the classes that have it, heavy merchant classes which arguable would benefit from it the most, don't get the skill.

You can try to flee, but the chances of actually leaving the room aren't great. It's not just attacks of opportunity, you're glued to the room until you pass a flee check. It can take several attempts even if you do have low-level flee, so good luck without the skill.

Lastly if you are dying to NPC, that is really on you, your PC was probably somewhere they shouldn't have been or doing something they shouldn't have been doing.
I'm not dying to an NPC, I'm running away from it.
With changes to sim desert, critters are absolutely everywhere and can't really be avoided. If you're not a completely city-based PC (tribal, grebber...), you'll run into that carru/spider/kryl pretty frequently. Or you might want to run from a snake because you already got poisoned once and want to take that cure.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: Dresan on January 21, 2023, 03:44:23 PM

lol and, I cannot say this loudly enough, lmao
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

January 21, 2023, 06:18:55 PM #11 Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 06:29:40 PM by Inks
What? Flee is OP now? Flee? Are you schmoking the ruks?

If this is a troll joke thing it is top tier.

Flee is important for social and warrior pcs alike. Self preservation is at the core of almost every living thing's being. Whether the victim of a buckstabü, a charge or your own self biting off more than you could chew. Gotta go fast.

The biggest boon of the flee skill is actually just that you get told what direction you ran in.

Was thinking the other day about this in one of my random armageddon thoughts.  People completely underestimate how big of a deal this is, because pretty much everyone just 'gets it' now.  Flee is one of those skills that we could really play around with and shift things around between some of these other skills.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger