Requested Code Fix - Rentable Spaces

Started by Pariah, January 08, 2023, 08:57:01 PM

January 08, 2023, 08:57:01 PM Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 08:58:59 PM by Pariah
As it is right now there is no way that I can find to figure out how much it costs to say rent a back room, or rent my way into any rentable space.

I've tried to not have coins out and in the few spots I've tried they just insult you for being poor but don't tell you the amount needed.

I think they should work similar to the stablemaster, how he tells you when you rent your mount how much it costs to get it back out.

Having you type Rent thing or Rent name just for an npc to insult you for being poor is not really useful, themely sure, but not useful.

I know you can just pull out your wad of coins, but if you don't want to spend a ton of coins unknowingly, it's not optimal to have you just wish for the best.

Or maybe have an OOC: message in the bottom of the room description?
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

I've checked three bartenders, each in a different location in the game, each with a backroom at their bar. All three have the discuss script for renting a back room and includes the cost.
Halaster — Today at 10:29 AM
I hate to say this
[10:29 AM]
I'll be quoted
but Hestia is right

Quote from: Hestia on January 08, 2023, 10:33:11 PM
I've checked three bartenders, each in a different location in the game, each with a backroom at their bar. All three have the discuss script for renting a back room and includes the cost.
I get that, but why do we need to rely on discuss, a wildly underused and under-updated thing, when you could just have the message be like.

Quote"You need twenty coins to get in here you poor bastard!"  "This room costs one small to rent, come back with more money?"

There is a -you don't have enough money- message, why not just have it include how much you need?

Think of it this way, I have a vending machine in my lobby here at work.  What if it didn't tell me how much a candy bar was, I'd either have to keep feeding money in till it dispensed, or go ask the receptionist the price of the candy bar.  That seems silly doesn't it?

"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Because the script/code for the "you don't have enough" message is a simple pass/fail.

IF $=true then pass and send PC in.
elseif $=false then reject with failure message.

All vendors in the game work the same. None of them tell you how much more you need, or remind you of how much the thing cost, if you try to buy something without enough money. They all simply tell you that you don't have enough (in their own way, each vendor has its own personality and message).

Because single-use access to a back room isn't an object that you're buying, it can't be put on the bartender's list of stuff he's selling. And so the information is provided via the discuss code.

Considering there is nothing in the room description suggesting that there even IS a back room, it's assumed people who already know it exists, already know how to use the discuss feature.
Halaster — Today at 10:29 AM
I hate to say this
I'll be quoted
but Hestia is right

Quote from: Hestia on January 09, 2023, 08:56:57 AM
... (in their own way, each vendor has its own personality and message).

Why not just have their personality message include the price?  It's just plain text, you wouldn't even need any coding knowledge, you just find the string with the insult for not having money and edit it.