Everyone gets one temp skill

Started by MeTekillot, January 06, 2023, 04:09:30 PM

Make it possible for every person to learn one temporary skill. They can only branch this skill through teaching, and then they can choose to 'learn' that skill. It would cap at journeyman, and would "rust" when not used for 6 hours of playtime, lowering it's total to the next lowest level journeyman->apprentice->novice->gone. You can only have one temporary skill, and may willfully 'forget' the skill to instantly remove it from your skill with. If you branch the skill from class or subclass, its max is class specific instead, but the skill cannot be branched from and will still rust until you branch it normally.

I like that, although six hours sounds really short. I've had scenes that lasted that long. Some where I didn't even have my pants off.

What's a use case for this?
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: Halaster on January 07, 2023, 10:51:54 PM
What's a use case for this?

You end up in a job/part of the world/situation/plot that you had no intention of being in when you wrote your character.

I'm not as sure this is as much of a "problem" now, under the "new" class/subclass system as it was the old guild/suguild system.

This is my first PC I think I've played under the news system, and there were so many guild/sub combinations I thought of that would have been "perfect combos" with one-more-skill(tm).

I also remember having a PC years and years ago (I can't remember what role or guild/subguild it was) and I asked to have "Basket-weaving" or "featherworking" added so my character could have a hobby, and it got rejected. I just wanted this because my PC was old, board and wanted to do something different for a little while.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Welcome to my sweatshop. You are all tailors now.  8)

Maybe don't agree with the implementation suggested.

Occasionally having this option would be nice.

Although I think Subclass None is a huge help with this sort of thing, and is my go to not pick a subclass for awhile.
21sters Unite!

It would be nice to have a quick way of getting a single crap-capped skill just for roleplay purposes and to avoid the tedium of eternally failing at a skill that comes up regularly. Rescue comes to mind.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...