Job Suggestion - Rat Catcher

Started by Pariah, December 22, 2022, 09:46:58 AM

Quote from: Shabago on December 23, 2022, 10:54:24 AM
Quote from: Hestia on December 23, 2022, 09:57:17 AM
It's not secret, just like whether or not /your/ shield is better or worse than the other guy's shield is secret. This is stuff you can - and should - find out in game. If your character WOULD care - then they'll care to ask.

Guys, seeing a pretty drastic up-tick on IC info bleed on the boards and discord.

I get it. Most of you have been around a long time and it is non-factor. Or, because of your tenure, you feel you should know. While I may or may not disagree on the should know part, it still needs to be tempered for players who actually still enjoy finding things out organically, are explorer types or are new to the game. "No big deal" to you, was once a noobie "Wow" moment, and this takes away that hook sensation from others.

As to the post;

The job already exists. In a sense. Where it should. It would not be terribly thematic elsewhere. It's a rat. There's a hundred thousand of them. They have no value. Selling one while five more run across your feet in the very same area is... not a supply and demand issue, heh. Conversely, hunting them enmasse (job of it) suits no-one. Think of the children, man. You want them going hungry? Shameful.

Side edit* Dammit, Xonn, you beat me.
Quote from: xonn on December 23, 2022, 10:49:08 AM
Quote from: Pariah on December 22, 2022, 09:46:58 AM
Why isn't there an NPC that buys rat corpses or Pelts?

Short answer : No one has pursued this particular activity as a full-time occupation. You are welcome to do it, and become the first official rat-catcher.
Long answer : This is not something that has been noticed as an essential addition to the game world. If and when it does, it'll be added in. And there are options already available in-game that do take care of this niche. You'll need to FOIC.

Understood, I'll leave it be, but just say one last thing on Xonn's comment here.

You could say that exact same thing to cotton picking and clay digging, yet it exists.

I could count on one hand how many times in dozens of characters I've even seen someone use either of those.  The rat catcher/killer option would be used WAY more.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

hm.  I mean aaaaall thiiiiis taaaaalking.   Over a rather basic, probably good, and ultimately harmless idea.

Create an NPC that sells strange looking meat pies, purchases rat corpses for 1 sid and rat meat for 5 sids and have them walk the streets of the commoner quarter.

Is this complicated codedly? Staff would know better.

Are there any disadvantages to game word for this to exist?  Please do tell. I'd love to hear that.

Are there advantages?  Sure.  Less bodies lying around and it's a job for the downrotten.  Much like shit shoveling.

Quote from: Dar on December 26, 2022, 09:53:30 AM
hm.  I mean aaaaall thiiiiis taaaaalking.   Over a rather basic, probably good, and ultimately harmless idea.

Create an NPC that sells strange looking meat pies, purchases rat corpses for 1 sid and rat meat for 5 sids and have them walk the streets of the commoner quarter.

Is this complicated codedly? Staff would know better.

Are there any disadvantages to game word for this to exist?  Please do tell. I'd love to hear that.

Are there advantages?  Sure.  Less bodies lying around and it's a job for the downrotten.  Much like shit shoveling.
All of this.

Salting is generally also being taken care by Jal, but its also an option for PC's. Just add a rat handler at the Salt yards, done.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

It's not secret, just like whether or not /your/ shield is better or worse than the other guy's shield is secret. This is stuff you can - and should - find out in game. If your character WOULD care - then they'll care to ask.

The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God? -Muad'Dib

So let's all go focus on our own roleplay before anyone picks up a stone to throw. -Sanvean

Quote from: Shabago on December 23, 2022, 10:54:24 AM

Guys, seeing a pretty drastic up-tick on IC info bleed on the boards and discord.

I get it. Most of you have been around a long time and it is non-factor. Or, because of your tenure, you feel you should know. While I may or may not disagree on the should know part, it still needs to be tempered for players who actually still enjoy finding things out organically, are explorer types or are new to the game. "No big deal" to you, was once a noobie "Wow" moment, and this takes away that hook sensation from others.

As to the post;

The job already exists. In a sense. Where it should. It would not be terribly thematic elsewhere. It's a rat. There's a hundred thousand of them. They have no value. Selling one while five more run across your feet in the very same area is... not a supply and demand issue, heh. Conversely, hunting them enmasse (job of it) suits no-one. Think of the children, man. You want them going hungry? Shameful.

Side edit* Dammit, Xonn, you beat me.
The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God? -Muad'Dib

So let's all go focus on our own roleplay before anyone picks up a stone to throw. -Sanvean