Times for Major RPTs and timezones

Started by Iiyola, November 11, 2022, 09:32:05 AM

3 PM PST. People are still at work over at that time zone.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

November 17, 2022, 09:32:26 AM #26 Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 09:50:00 AM by Night Queen
Quote from: Night Queen on November 12, 2022, 05:26:53 AMa good idea, worked well with the ocotillo festivals I think - both [TWO!] events that are early and late, because they suit different countries better - sure, if organisers+staff can only make one time, that's understandable, but having an "unofficial" earlier time added on that people who can't make the late night time can rally around, hurts no one and means you get 2 RPTs for the effort of 1!
Maybe a little post template could be something like this .. similar to how commercial games tend to try accommodate people from different timezones with their servers etc (and by popularity, they must be doing something right, it's obviously been agreed somewhere "this makes games more successful"):

[HEAVILY recommended playing time (plot event - Luir's Outpost)]
2022-11-19 02:00:00Z (UTC)

US West PST (UTC-8)/PDT(UTC-7)6pm Friday
US East EST (UTC-5)/EDT (UTC-4)9pm Friday
UK GMT (UTC±0)/BST (UTC+1)2am Saturday (Friday night)
Europe West CET (UTC+1)/CEST (UTC+2)3am Saturday (Friday night)
Australia East AEST (UTC+10)/AEDT (UTC+11)12pm Saturday
Unofficial secondary time:
2022-11-18 18:00:00Z (UTC)

US West PST (UTC-8)/PDT(UTC-7)10am Friday
US East EST (UTC-5)/EDT (UTC-4)1pm Friday
UK GMT (UTC±0)/BST (UTC+1)6pm Friday
Europe West CET (UTC+1)/CEST (UTC+2)7pm Friday
Australia East AEST (UTC+10)/AEDT (UTC+11)5am Saturday

I didn't even suggest changing the time, this is one of the most frustrating things that I feel with reports sometimes what you say is obviously skimmed over or half-read or ignored, because the replies that come back don't make sense :(

I just said a secondary time listed could help people who can't make the first time have an option to help them gather (to be done for both sides of the world :)

Yeah. You can lock this thread. I give up.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: Night Queen on November 17, 2022, 10:13:29 AM
I didn't even suggest changing the time, this is one of the most frustrating things that I feel with reports sometimes what you say is obviously skimmed over or half-read or ignored, because the replies that come back don't make sense :(

I just said a secondary time listed could help people who can't make the first time have an option to help them gather (to be done for both sides of the world :)

The suggestion sounds like "Have two RPTs, at different times, so everyone can join". I don't think that is going to work out, because the point of an RPT is "This is a time where something important may happen."

You can't overthrow Luir's twice in one day!
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

November 17, 2022, 12:42:46 PM #30 Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 12:51:06 PM by Night Queen
• If there's an event happening, it's nearly always obvious, no matter what that, that a big chunk of people will miss out, whatever you do.

•  You can't have the same plot twice, but you can have an unofficial secondary time so the others who can't make it can still log on, so there's something to aim for (helpful if people can't idle for hours hoping to meet people randomly on the day). Then you have two peaks :) This is just basic stuff. Put people together, stuff happens. If something big is happening after/before, even more likely there'll be interesting stuff going on. :)

I WILL admit, of the RPTs I've gone to .... "Starts at 9pm" is a laugh, it doesn't even BEGIN until 10pm, and "the thing" doesn't happen until 10:30 or so.

The IDEAL is that "Show up at 9pm, and things will be underway by 9:15pm".

But it depends on the event. Players coming together for a festival? There's usually a couple times posted.
Staff sponsoring something like a major Luir's RPT where "something big" might happen? No. You don't get a secondary time.

Quote from: Riev on November 17, 2022, 12:54:32 PM
But it depends on the event. Players coming together for a festival? There's usually a couple times posted.
Staff sponsoring something like a major Luir's RPT where "something big" might happen? No. You don't get a secondary time.

^
You try to climb, but slip.
You plummet to the ground below...

November 17, 2022, 01:25:04 PM #33 Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 01:27:17 PM by Night Queen
People that are not around for the whatever time zone already log on around them for RP, it'd just give something for them to aim at instead of
person logs on, looks around clan area
walks around a bit
logs out
2nd person logs on
walks around a bit, finds no one is there

Even if miss "the big plot point", there's plenty of other stuff that can happen when players are gathered around the time when something is going to happen, before or after.

They will already be on to try get involved in leadup stuff anyway, giving an unofficial secondary RP time just makes sense so that people don't have to wait around hours to meet the people that keep logging on and off. This is just really basic stuff to make something busier - it's to not leave those people wandering around hoping to see someone, and instead give them an opportunity.

My guess would be like:

Halaster's Big HRPT, 6PM ST.

Corpse Clean up, 10PM ST.

So there is something maybe related to the RPT, but maybe there isn't a lot of necessary involvement from organizers or staff. BUUT also, maybe that can be organized by players already.

Friday, 9PM ST, some big event.

Saturday 12PM ST, you have a player suggested time, that we get together and see what the fallout is from that event. You go to Luir's, talk about what happened. Stab any corpses still crawling around. Loot the bodies. Whatever.
21sters Unite!

Quote from: Night Queen on November 17, 2022, 01:25:04 PM
People that are not around for the whatever time zone already log on around them for RP, it'd just give something for them to aim at instead of
person logs on, looks around clan area
walks around a bit
logs out
2nd person logs on
walks around a bit, finds no one is there

Even if miss "the big plot point", there's plenty of other stuff that can happen when players are gathered around the time when something is going to happen, before or after.

They will already be on to try get involved in leadup stuff anyway, giving an unofficial secondary RP time just makes sense so that people don't have to wait around hours to meet the people that keep logging on and off. This is just really basic stuff to make something busier - it's to not leave those people wandering around hoping to see someone, and instead give them an opportunity.

I feel like there are two significant things here.

• One is... people log in, look around and don't see immediate action, and leave. This is not my problem, having extra RPT times doesn't make people stay logged in.
  • The other is ... You want there to be something happening OFFICIALLY either before, or after, an announced RPT. Any after-party is going to be based on what happens AT the RPT, and anything happening beforehand is probably already planned out or has been worked on.

I just really don't understand the ask here. Is it "have more stuff going on" or is it "find a way to keep people engaged until the RPT occurs"? I'm just trying to understand, can you come up with some like... pretend situation where an RPT is announced and you have people 'waiting around hours trying to meet people who are logging on and off'?

November 17, 2022, 03:54:31 PM #36 Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 05:01:03 PM by Bebop
So you wanna live in Europe, have a great quality of life, free healthcare AND get to do HRPTs?  What's it feel like to be gods favorite?

In all seriousness, from what I've seen IG it seems like the players most heavily involved in this area on at these times.  It's not ideal for everyone.  I'm a hair stylist and my busiest day is Saturday.  If I want to go I'll probably be up late on a work night.  So it's not great for me either and to make it I'll have to RUSH home.

Also a tip the HRPT part is only a small portion not this RPT and if you go around these days and times I'm sure there'll still be plenty to see and do.

TLDR the schedule was done out of necessity not an intent to exclude from what I can see.

Quote from: Bebop on November 17, 2022, 03:54:31 PM
So you wanna live in Europe, have a great quality of life, free healthcare AND get to do HRPTs?  What's it feel like to be gods favorite?

I would love to know what planet THAT Europe is on.. because it's not on this one.

On a more related note, I think /some/ staff animated HRPT's should be balanced around a time that both peak AND offpeak can join together.  I have always tried to do events Saturday/Sunday and as late as I can make it myself as a European player without having to log off half way through, or, stay up ridiculously late.

Quote from: Kestria on November 17, 2022, 04:05:08 PM
Quote from: Bebop on November 17, 2022, 03:54:31 PM

I would love to know what planet THAT Europe is on.. because it's not on this one.

Idk Netherlands is pretty high up there for quality of life. 🙃

Also just wanted to note I have missed probably like the last five HRPTs.  I'm not sure I ever was really heavily involved in any over the last fifteen years.  Usually I find them to be a sensory overload experience and avoid them TBH.  But I still enjoy the game and have never felt like I couldn't comprehend what was going on or RP off of what had occured even if I wasn't there.

On a more related note, I think /some/ staff animated HRPT's should be balanced around a time that both peak AND offpeak can join together.  I have always tried to do events Saturday/Sunday and as late as I can make it myself as a European player without having to log off half way through, or, stay up ridiculously late.

I'm sure you don't MEAN this, but this sounds like "Staff aren't planning HRPTs on a balanced schedule".

I want to be salty towards staff. Thats who I am. Its what I do. But even I'M appalled at what is sounding like "But I couldn't go to the last 2 RPTs so staff should run RPTs that involve every time zone".

Quote from: Riev on November 17, 2022, 06:55:48 PM

I'm sure you don't MEAN this, but this sounds like "Staff aren't planning HRPTs on a balanced schedule".

I want to be salty towards staff. Thats who I am. Its what I do. But even I'M appalled at what is sounding like "But I couldn't go to the last 2 RPTs so staff should run RPTs that involve every time zone".

I won't put words in Kestria's keyboard but I /think/ she intended this to be theoretic. As in - if all things worked out optimally given the availabilities of players and staff, big HRPTs should (theoretically) be balanced (etc).  Not that they should as in "must" or "required" or "as demanded."

We do have RPTs at all hours, including the Ocotillo Festival which started early afternoon server time and well into the late peak hours server time, over the course of three days, and involved countless hours of RPed planning, meetings, communications between characters and even involving animated NPCs for months prior to the actual event - most of which happened at some time OTHER than peak server.

Halaster — Today at 10:29 AM
I hate to say this
[10:29 AM]
I'll be quoted
[10:29 AM]
but Hestia is right

Quote from: Bebop on November 17, 2022, 05:04:08 PM
Also just wanted to note I have missed probably like the last five HRPTs.  I'm not sure I ever was really heavily involved in any over the last fifteen years.  Usually I find them to be a sensory overload experience and avoid them TBH.  But I still enjoy the game and have never felt like I couldn't comprehend what was going on or RP off of what had occured even if I wasn't there.

I noticed that about myself when I came back to the game.  I can't deal with the input coming at me as fast as I used to be able to.  Guess it's one of the drawbacks of getting older.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: Hestia on November 17, 2022, 07:31:33 PM
Quote from: Riev on November 17, 2022, 06:55:48 PM

I won't put words in Kestria's keyboard but I /think/ she intended this to be theoretic. As in - if all things worked out optimally given the availabilities of players and staff, big HRPTs should (theoretically) be balanced (etc).  Not that they should as in "must" or "required" or "as demanded."

We do have RPTs at all hours, including the Ocotillo Festival which started early afternoon server time and well into the late peak hours server time, over the course of three days, and involved countless hours of RPed planning, meetings, communications between characters and even involving animated NPCs for months prior to the actual event - most of which happened at some time OTHER than peak server.

Entirely theoretical, not demanding in the slightest. But as it has been spoken about so often recently, we cannot help how people percieve our written words to be when they read them. I was merely voicing an opinion as a european player that has been playing 12 years, and is USE to not catching a lot of HRPTs. No I am nowhere near 'salty',  I still play despite knowing I miss most of them?  Nothing 'appauling' about it  :-\
I am sorry that it might be taken in such a fashion to peoples eyes and minds.

How dare you form an opinion and suggestions, Kestria. :D Sometimes though, people just read parts of posts and don't get the whole picture, and then devolve in the endless vicious circle of repeating the same "solutions" which already have been discussed and countered.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

I think we just need to make our next staffing rolecall specifically for off-peak.

We don't need to shift around existing RPT times, we need to add more.

We do need to find a way to shuffle peak and off-peak RPTs so that they are aligned in story but taking different parts in it, sometimes with the 'action' happening off peak, and sometimes with the buildup, aftermath, or preparation being on the other timeline.

While off-peak might not be particularly exciting to staff over right now, it's also an area of the playerbase we can see marked improvement in numbers through a lot less actual gain (i.e. if peak players is average of 10 vs 20, picking up 4 for a new average of 14 is 'higher impact' than 20 becoming 24).

I don't think this problem requires a binary solution where fixing it requires sacrifice on the other end (or change).
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

The past three role calls have included a line about peak times being preferred or even nigh-mandatory, and it has me think of this thread. 'Go play the leader' is terrible advice if you're disqualified just for living somewhere.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on November 26, 2022, 01:13:25 AM
The past three role calls have included a line about peak times being preferred or even nigh-mandatory, and it has me think of this thread. 'Go play the leader' is terrible advice if you're disqualified just for living somewhere.

It's unfortunate, but if most people are on from 7p-12am EST.

In the current framework of how the game works it's hard to expect a leader to do much of anything when it's 4am or 5am and most people are asleep.

I've always thought this game could benefit from messengers or a mail system similar to old school SOI

That way if an off peak player is boss of x clan, they can correspond with their minions even without being logged in at the same time to a limited degree.

Todo lists
Assassination Targets
So on.

For established clans with boards you can "sorta" do this,  but making an ooc thing an ic thing is sorta weird.

I've long wished for courier NPCs or something that could deliver messages and small items but it never came to be.

Hell, I'd be the player doing that, running all over the world delivering messages and items to people.  That would probably be fun till you found out something you shouldn't and were killed.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Quote from: Pariah on November 26, 2022, 05:32:53 AM

In the current framework of how the game works it's hard to expect a leader to do much of anything when it's 4am or 5am and most people are asleep.

There are about 19 hours between 7-11 PM server time and 4-5 AM. I'm not sure why players need to jump to extremes every time this is brought up.
I frequently see between 20 and 30 players online in the hours before 7 PM, and I'm pretty sure you would see better numbers if there were some leaders available during that time, instead of restricting all the movers and shakers to peak only. This is a recently resurfaced trend. It was not that common for role calls in recent years, it was not necessary in the past and I don't know why there is this sudden need to return to that.

Quote from: dunecrawler on November 26, 2022, 07:48:31 AM
Quote from: Pariah on November 26, 2022, 05:32:53 AM

There are about 19 hours between 7-11 PM server time and 4-5 AM. I'm not sure why players need to jump to extremes every time this is brought up.
I frequently see between 20 and 30 players online in the hours before 7 PM, and I'm pretty sure you would see better numbers if there were some leaders available during that time, instead of restricting all the movers and shakers to peak only. This is a recently resurfaced trend. It was not that common for role calls in recent years, it was not necessary in the past and I don't know why there is this sudden need to return to that.

If I had to guess it's just make sure there isn't more chiefs than Indians.  I doubt there is anything nefarious in their minds like, "we don't like Europeans"

The leaders really are only required to recruit people and do sales of certain things.

I once was a Salarr hunter and something happened to all the merchants and it was pretty much a gmh of me for a while and they gave me the coded power to sell shit and all that so they do make adjustments when it needs done.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"