Thryzn - A New Playable Race - Discussion

Started by mansa, November 01, 2022, 03:19:50 PM

I am really glad that another race was introduced into the game.  I hope even more races get introduced.   ArmageddonMUD is our game, and its only limitation is our imagination.

I hope the code templates used to create this new race make it easier to create more new races in the future.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Question: What do they speak? Do they have the own?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Barsook on November 01, 2022, 03:43:21 PM

Find out IG ;)
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Not enough is known 'publicly' to say for sure.. yet.  But some people have been able to communicate with them.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

They learn the language spoken by a tongue that they devour.  If you ever want to trade with them, you should bring a friend.

Any dramatic boost/penalty to stats that we should be aware of?
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Halaster on November 01, 2022, 04:46:45 PM

Not enough is known 'publicly' to say for sure.. yet.  But some people have been able to communicate with them.

Then why is Sirihish linked in the "see also"? That's I'm asking.
Fredd-

Quote from: Malken on November 01, 2022, 05:57:03 PM

It's depending on the tribe you play and  choices you make in character creation. If you apply make sure you read the clan docs before writing your desc ect.
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Quote from: Bast on November 01, 2022, 07:17:23 PM

It's depending on the tribe you play and  choices you make in character creation. If you apply make sure you read the clan docs before writing your desc ect.

Ok thanks! I think I missed that part. Do you get extra docs when you apply?
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I watched some of this in-game and it was fantastic. The players absolutely killed it. Thrilled to hear it is open as a tribe. I want to see more of this.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Quote from: Malken on November 01, 2022, 07:20:20 PM
Quote from: Bast on November 01, 2022, 07:17:23 PM

Ok thanks! I think I missed that part. Do you get extra docs when you apply?

There is ton of documentation on their forum. We worked really hard to make them feel like an entrenched race with a vibrant culture, history, and lore to build on.

Very cool.  I will 100% be submitting an application for one as my next PC.

Let me jump on the band wagon!
Fredd-

Well this isn't what I expected from [redacted].

I hate that I'm interested in this.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on November 01, 2022, 10:40:50 PM

Me too! I hate having all of this fun stuff coming out and that I'm not able to participate.
My brain is constantly filled with the sound of elevator music, as the Gods intended.

Quote from: Is Friday on November 01, 2022, 10:40:50 PM

Amen!

Very cool. I'm glad to see Halaster's project reach fruition and the overview of how it took place. Kudos.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Dracul on November 02, 2022, 12:11:41 AM
Are Thryzn skinnable?

Asking the real questions!
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Dwarves should also be skinnable please. Dat nat armr.

Thryzn are cool, thanks staff for opening them up!

Quote from: Dan on November 02, 2022, 02:11:58 AM
Quote from: Dracul on November 02, 2022, 12:11:41 AM
Are Thryzn skinnable?

Asking the real questions!

according to docs, it should

Skill Skinning                                                        (Skill)

This will enable one to attempt to remove the exterior from a corpse.
Many useful things can be made from skinned animals, such as shields from
chitinous creatures, clothing from scaled/brightly colored creatures,
knives from claws, and so on.

8)

Also can we give Halaster a massive fucking round of applause. This has been the coolest project I have ever had the privilege to work on on Arm. Absolutely hope I get to work on something like this again someday.

Thryzn are weird and awesome, I suggest everyone to at least give them a shot.

My favorite inspiration music for them
https://youtu.be/K7ZqZVunCb4

For clarification on roleplay of Thryzn, I have a couple questions:

1. Are there multiple tribes, or one currently?
2. Will we see multiple tribes in the future as players have a chance to flesh out this new race?
3. Do the Thryzn permit magick within their tribes?
4. Can Thryzn skin other races? (it's only fair, right?)

How my mutants do I have to kill to get more karma?

Someone kill me fast so I can play one. (But let me try to kill you back also..)

Quote from: Ammut on November 02, 2022, 10:28:08 AM
For clarification on roleplay of Thryzn, I have a couple questions:

1. Are there multiple tribes, or one currently?
2. Will we see multiple tribes in the future as players have a chance to flesh out this new race?
3. Do the Thryzn permit magick within their tribes?
4. Can Thryzn skin other races? (it's only fair, right?)

1.  Only one playable tribe (though with 2 sub-divisions) at the moment.
2.  Maybe.  They're a race like any other, so it's totally conceivable.
3.  It is not known to anyone except those in the tribe if they do or do not.  There -are- some IC rumors about thryzn in general that you may have heard.  But there's no public knowledge one way or the other.
4.  No sentient humanoid races are currently skinnable.  Maybe we should change that.  Cannibals rejoice!

So my thinking was to intentionally not add a helpfile for their tribe just yet, as the information naturally is found out by the playerbase as a whole.  Once the tribe name gets really well known, I'll add a helpfile for it specifically.

How should "typical characters" in the major 5 playable zones react to seeing a Thryzn?

Allanak -
Tuluk -
Luir's Outpost -
Red Storm Village -
Tablelands -

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on November 02, 2022, 11:44:26 AM
How should "typical characters" in the major 5 playable zones react to seeing a Thryzn?

Allanak -
Tuluk -
Luir's Outpost -
Red Storm Village -
Tablelands -

Allanak:   Woah, wtf, that's a really outlandish mutant, never seen one that extreme!
Tuluk:  Woah, wtf, that's a really outlandish mutant, never seen one that extreme!  Oh wait, wasn't there some weird mutants like them living in the city at one point?
Luir's:  Woah, wtf, that's a really outlandish mutant, never seen one that extreme!  Hah, who am I kidding, elves are weirder
RSV:  Woah, wtf, that's a really outlandish mutant, never seen one that extreme!  Did it crawl out of the silt sea?
Tablelands:  Meh, we see mantis and gith, this ain't that whack.  Though, they -are- ugly as hell.

In all seriousness, that's not too off the mark.  The concept of mutant isn't unheard of, though thryzn are quite extreme versions by anyone's standards.

Quote from: Halaster on November 02, 2022, 11:37:47 AM
4.  No sentient humanoid races are currently skinnable.  Maybe we should change that.  Cannibals rejoice!

I always dreamed about it to keep a part of the fallen friend / tribesmate or enemy. Think about recovering 2 long bones, turning them into swords, and carrying your buddy/mate at your belt. Naming the longsword as your friend's name. Endless opportunities.

Teeth for necklace, skin for armor (on dwarves & new race), bones for weapons, testicles for tribal rituals

Do they use mutant or thryzn as their race identifier in their sdesc?

In my opinion,
In typical fantasy books, when a word is used that isn't 'normal' in the english language, people would look it up to understand 'what is this word?'   Stuff like Orks, Tiefling, Goliath, Genasi, etc.

I think we might need to add a small paragraph in the Thryzn helpfile to state how other characters react to seeing the Thryzn.  Sorta like setting the roleplaying standards within the Zalanthas world for seeing a mutant like this.  AKA, should we try to have sex with them?

Quote from: mansa on November 02, 2022, 12:00:43 PM
Do they use mutant or thryzn as their race identifier in their sdesc?

In my opinion,
In typical fantasy books, when a word is used that isn't 'normal' in the english language, people would look it up to understand 'what is this word?'   Stuff like Orks, Tiefling, Goliath, Genasi, etc.

I think we might need to add a small paragraph in the Thryzn helpfile to state how other characters react to seeing the Thryzn.  Sorta like setting the roleplaying standards within the Zalanthas world for seeing a mutant like this.  AKA, should we try to have sex with them?

sdesc will include 'thryzn'

Gith are skinnable

Quote from: Lotion on November 02, 2022, 12:07:14 PM
Gith are skinnable

Ok.  What I should have said was playable races, none of them are skinnable.

Quote from: najdorf on November 02, 2022, 11:57:14 AM

I always dreamed about it to keep a part of the fallen friend / tribesmate or enemy. Think about recovering 2 long bones, turning them into swords, and carrying your buddy/mate at your belt. Naming the longsword as your friend's name. Endless opportunities.

Teeth for necklace, skin for armor (on dwarves & new race), bones for weapons, testicles for tribal rituals

Probably a thing for it's own thread but that would be rad as hell.

November 02, 2022, 12:38:29 PM #43 Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 12:41:13 PM by Brokkr
Quote from: dumbstruck on November 02, 2022, 12:31:26 PM
Quote from: najdorf on November 02, 2022, 11:57:14 AM

Probably a thing for it's own thread but that would be rad as hell.

They aren't skinnable for a reason.  So that you get the joys of having to actually dispose of that corpse in your apartment.  Rather than having it all solved by typing "skin corpse".

That said, what we have been able to do with the skinning system in recent years is a bit more than originally envisioned, so maybe another look is in order.  Although expect a big, non-removeable bloodstain or something.

That solution could be achieved by having skinning result in a non-junkable item(s) that are corpse remnants.
Veteran Newbie

I get that on both counts. Maybe a 'pcs sdesc carcass' item left over, and a few items that are taken from it, and you still have the carcass to dispose of that's big and cumbersome (and as a bonus since it's maybe not a normal body item it might be able to take longer to decay or be made to decay in stages or something worse or more gruesome than npc corpses somehow).

Quote from: Halaster on November 02, 2022, 11:53:06 AM

Allanak -
Tuluk -
Luir's Outpost -
Red Storm Village -
Tablelands -

Allanak:   Woah, wtf, that's a really outlandish mutant, never seen one that extreme!
Tuluk:  Woah, wtf, that's a really outlandish mutant, never seen one that extreme!  Oh wait, wasn't there some weird mutants like them living in the city at one point?
Luir's:  Woah, wtf, that's a really outlandish mutant, never seen one that extreme!  Hah, who am I kidding, elves are weirder
RSV:  Woah, wtf, that's a really outlandish mutant, never seen one that extreme!  Did it crawl out of the silt sea?
Tablelands:  Meh, we see mantis and gith, this ain't that whack.  Though, they -are- ugly as hell.

In all seriousness, that's not too off the mark.  The concept of mutant isn't unheard of, though thryzn are quite extreme versions by anyone's standards.

Bouncing back to this, BECAUSE there are locations that have had Thryzn in them (that some PCs might have even seen) ...

Have these mutants "always been around and are just now playable" or are they kind of a "recent addition"?

As in, is it like "oh man a Silt Wind I haven't seen many of those before" or is it "THATS A FUCKING WALKING SNAKE KILL IT KILL IT"
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I feel glad that months before this announcement, I already picked up on the potential "typical tuluki response" to them by paying attention to the npcs walking around that city. Evershine b*tches

Quote from: Riev on November 02, 2022, 01:13:54 PM
Quote from: Halaster on November 02, 2022, 11:53:06 AM

Allanak -
Tuluk -
Luir's Outpost -
Red Storm Village -
Tablelands -

Bouncing back to this, BECAUSE there are locations that have had Thryzn in them (that some PCs might have even seen) ...

Have these mutants "always been around and are just now playable" or are they kind of a "recent addition"?

As in, is it like "oh man a Silt Wind I haven't seen many of those before" or is it "THATS A FUCKING WALKING SNAKE KILL IT KILL IT"

Tuluk did have some of them, yes, though if I recall they weren't super common in the city.  So in that regard, they've been around and are just now become playable.  Though there's -also- a new tribe of them.  So news of a thryzn might not comes as a total shock to a Tuluki, but an Allanaki citizen may have never even heard the term before.

Tuluk should not have had any Thryzn in it when it re-opened because...where would they have come from?  I thought we got rid of all the NPCs that had been there previously.

How/why were they gotten rid of?  I remember them distinctly being all over the Warrens and Freil's Rest.

They would still have been around in the memory of anyone who lived for the prior 30ish years before tuluk closed ( it wasnt actually closed for THAT long I think.somewhere around a typical adult lifetime). Either way the tribe would have been completely unheard of

Quote from: Bebop on November 02, 2022, 04:05:56 PM
How/why were they gotten rid of?  I remember them distinctly being all over the Warrens and Freil's Rest.

I assume they all left after the caretaker was killed and Isar's tree was burned.   They probably went to go hang out with Yaraya for some BBQ.

https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,48000.msg841027.html#msg841027

s (wandering in
Within a Gated Garden [N]
   A broad fence, composed of massive planks of baobab and agafari that
have been lashed together, isolates a broad field of scrub and grass from
the turmoil of the city.  The ground here is tender, mingled browns and
greens coalescing into a harmonic blend of colors.  Rows of fenrel bushes
have been planted so as to spiral off in rows from the center of the garden.
A blossoming tree of unknown wood is growing in the center of the garden here.
A blotchy, ashen-skinned humanoid sits here tending the tree.

l humanoid
You look at the blotchy, ashen-skinned humanoid.
  This creature could still be considered human despite his hideous mutations.
His arms are overly long, falling far past his knees.  His skin is an ashen
grey colored and is covered with numerous odd spots and splotches.  His
dirty hair is long and stringy, and his eyes are a strange shade of yellow.
His lips peel back, showing a set of sharp white teeth.
The blotchy, ashen-skinned humanoid is in excellent condition.

The blotchy, ashen-skinned humanoid is using:
<across back>            an ankheg-mandible scimitar
<on torso>               a mantis-shell breastplate
<on legs>                a pair of stiff, red and tan striped leggings

He is carrying:
nothing obvious

You say to the blotchy, ashen-skinned humanoid, in sirihish:
     "Ah good, a Thryzn."

You reach into a supple, dark-grey strap-sheath and slide out a vicious claw longknife.

https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,57019.msg1063719.html#msg1063719

...This would require her to pull from her own body, as she powered all her
magicks, combined with the full pulling of energy from an individual Thryzn and
an amount from the Tree. At the same time. If they came too fast, they would
destroy her.

And come they did.  Jumping into a bonfire whose that had never hurt them, not
in their entire lives, to embrace this woman in the flames. Nor did it hurt them
now, but it burned them away to nothing, leaving only their energy, infusing the
orange-reddish flames which rose higher, and higher. As if ensorcelled,
compelled by the shared link, they came, throwing children and babies into the
sacred flame before jumping in themselves.

Some of the ones wielding power over fire came.  Great, massive bursts of
energy, again and again.  The massively charged flames formed a column that rose
up, the width of the bonfire but with an unnatural intensity, an incalculable
distance, lighting an entire region. Fully a thousand jumped into the flames
over the course of half a night, crying out in exultation.

She drew the power that surrounded her, the flames of a thousand lives and the
energy they had contained and their link to the Tree, into her.  All at once.
With intent and purpose. Permanently changing her form and so much more. She was
standing in the still hot ashes of the burnt out bonfire....

I think Tuluk was closed something like 50 years IC?

All the Thryzn prior to closure were adults that were temporarily living/visiting Tuluk.  Not permanently settled and procreating.

So they died off due to violence or old age while the gates were closed since no more Thryzn could come in during that time.

How is the name of this race pronounced?

Like Thri-kreen but with a 'z' instead of 'kr'?
3/21/16 Never Forget

I pronounce it as:

thry (sounds like rye)  zin (sounds like sin)

But I could see thry zeen as a proper way to say it too.

I'm aware this is a FOIC/request tool question but will each of the tribe(s) have a helpfile like the delves and the tribal humans or is it just one tribe that is playable?
Fredd-

Quote from: Barsook on November 06, 2022, 04:59:59 PM
I'm aware this is a FOIC/request tool question but will each of the tribe(s) have a helpfile like the delves and the tribal humans or is it just one tribe that is playable?

Eventually yeah.  I'd like to keep the mystery about them for a little while, but once they're more well known, we'll add those.