Did you hear about Arm first or D&D?

Started by Barsook, October 26, 2022, 08:22:34 PM

Did you hear about Arm first or D&D?

Arm First, D&D Second
D&D First, Arm Second
Other
It's easier to start a new poll instead of muddling the other topic.

Context

Quote from: Abaya on October 26, 2022, 12:08:08 PM
I've never heard much talk about dungeons and dragons until playing Armageddon, it just doesn't really come up in most modern chat/forums for most online roleplaying games. I think it's probably something that is more a thing that people who already like it like, but definitely not mainstream in the way online games are.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I found D&D about the time Arm was first turned on.  Didn't find Arm until years later.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

I found out about arm before d&d.

I am still yet to play a d&d game, even though I really want to.

Other. I "heard" about dnd first, but stumbled upon muds (xylommer I think, and how, I can't remember) and then while discovering muds tried a couple and after arm well there was never another arm.
Veteran Newbie

October 26, 2022, 09:42:01 PM #4 Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 09:46:55 PM by Kismetic
The supposition was that Arm had more of a global impact than D&D.  Which, ya know, gives me the brain scramblies.  I started playing D&D in 1994, and I first made an Arm account in 1999 or 2000.  I was, at the time, more engaged on a game called FaerunMUD, on which I was staff.  It was a 2nd Ed AD&D MUD based on the campaign of the same name.

But just as an example, my mom knows what D&D is, my dad, my brothers who are all jocks, my sister who has never played a game in her life, all of my friends who have said "oh, dude, have you ever played this game?"  As opposed to MUDing, where I've tried to recruit several friends, who all replied, down to the last:  "lol what's that?"  That's my anecdotal.

Not sure how to answer.  I heard about D&D first, but it was in a super out of the community, nerd-activity sort of way.

Armageddon is what opened me up to roleplaying games as a genre, for actual roleplaying.  Everything before Arm was just hack'n slash character building, like Diablo.  D&D was never appealing until after Armageddon.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I found out about the two things separately from each other. Dungeons and dragons is incredibly popular among a lot of European people. America is not the main character of the world.
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

Quote from: zealus on October 27, 2022, 04:10:35 AM
I found out about the two things separately from each other. Dungeons and dragons is incredibly popular among a lot of European people. America is not the main character of the world.

Yikes, no one was saying that  :)
My brain is constantly filled with the sound of elevator music, as the Gods intended.

D&D by a good ten years at least.
Halaster the Shroud of Death says, out of character:
     "oh shit, lol"

Usiku, "Seemed like Jeffrey Dahmer was pretty pro at the locked apartment kill."

I was playing MUDs in middle school (EmeraldMUD) well before I understood what D&D was. But the point is that ARMAGEDDON has more of an impact than D&D, and that D&D is on the decline and dying because some twitter referencing TSR exists.

I definitely knew what D&D and GURPS was well before I'd ever heard of Armageddon. I was in military-style GURPS sessions 3 years before I even knew Armageddon was a thing.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Found DnD long before Armageddon, but I played Armageddon before I could find anyone to play DnD with.
Quote from: Cutthroat on August 22, 2009, 10:57:13 PMSo Eunoli Winrothol, Samos Rennik, and Thrain Ironsword walk into a bar. The Red Fang bartender looks up and says, "Get the fuck out of my bar."

I 'heard' about DnD first but started playing for the first time both roughly around the same time. My dad had this big collectors DND box when I was growing up but I don't remember him actually opening up and playing it ever. But he played when he was younger and now he plays with my husband and me sometimes when either of us visit the other. We can't get him into Arm though -_-
The naked chubby winged halfling flaps its wings and blows you a kiss!

October 27, 2022, 11:05:22 AM #12 Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 11:07:32 AM by Abaya
Quote from: HazelHomewrecker on October 27, 2022, 04:44:53 AM
Quote from: zealus on October 27, 2022, 04:10:35 AM

Yikes, no one was saying that  :)
There was a whole thread made because someone found offensive the the idea of something that is common culture in America being relatively unheard of in most countries (which also missed the reading comprehension check where the quoted post said it's not mainstream in the way online roleplaying games are).

Quote from: Kismetic on October 26, 2022, 09:42:01 PM
The supposition was that Arm had more of a global impact than D&D.  Which, ya know, gives me the brain scramblies. I started playing D&D in
Quote from: Kismetic on October 26, 2022, 09:42:01 PMmom
Quote from: Kismetic on October 26, 2022, 09:42:01 PMjocks
I'm not sure you know what global means?

Quote from: Abaya on October 27, 2022, 11:05:22 AM
I'm not sure you know what global means?

The question is whether you do, either.

The reason the thread was made, is you proposed a wild claim that Dungeons and Dragons is less heard of in an international sense as ArmageddonMUD is. A claim you have yet to substantiate other than "No you prove me wrong".

I even tried to argue your point that without Localization, DnD is probably a struggle to reach other counties.

However, you don't get to make a claim that an RPI MUD with no more than 300 players has a bigger effect on the world than Dungeons and Dragons without more than a 'gut feeling'. So we're trying to see... what came first? The proof, or the pudding-brain?

I said online games, not Armageddon, lol. Completely. Missed. The point.

Quote from: Riev link=topic=58557.msg1082519#msg1082519pudding-brain
How did you end up with this, was a Fale bored and had a sharp knife or something?

Quote from: Abaya on October 27, 2022, 11:35:29 AM
I said online games, not Armageddon, lol. Completely. Missed. The point.

QuoteDungeons and dragons was mentioned as being... Somehow better? But well... Compare what she is doing today, to where they are now? (lol it looks like a parody almost) Dungeons and dragons has almost no audience outside America, it's just not really had much of a cultural impact on most of the world, and likely never will as awareness of it fades. Armageddon on the other hand has an incredible mix of people of all backgrounds,

You posit that Dungeons and Dragons has no audience outside of America (untrue. You MAY say outside of English Speaking countries, I could stand to see data on it)
You then compare it to Armageddon having a "mix of people from all backgrounds", suggesting Dungeons and Dragons is only populated by people from similar backgrounds.

To paraphrase what another Americam said about a historical American person, to an American Immigrant:

Answer for the accusations I lay at your feet
or prepare to bleed
good man

Whole thread is petty, whole point is pointless.

This is dumb.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Abaya on October 27, 2022, 11:45:39 AM
Quote from: Riev on October 27, 2022, 11:41:49 AMor prepare to bleed
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/coldsteel-the-hedgeheg

THE STAGE SHOW WAS RELEASED TO AN INTERNATIONAL AUDIENCE.

I continue this debate only because everything you post is contrarian, with refusal to backup your stance, and only to troll other people into posting THEIR backup so you can say "Nah I don't trust it you're still wrong".

Responding with a meme is starting to tell me more about who you are as a person.

Some people are just not worth trying to reason with.

October 27, 2022, 12:20:09 PM #20 Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 12:24:28 PM by Kismetic
Quote from: Abaya on October 27, 2022, 11:56:58 AM
Some people are just not worth trying to reason with.

Not sure you know what anecdotal means.  Nobody in my life has ever even heard of a MUD, and just a teensy bit of common sense could tell you that Armageddon is not a global phenomenon.  Dungeons and Dragons on the other hand is at the heart of almost every modern game.  Grow.  A. Brain.

P.S. It's funny that you made a sock puppet to derail a useful thread with the most asinine and bad faith argument.  You deserve this one.

The comment said online roleplaying games are more mainstream than dungeons and dragons that most people have no experience with and commenting that cultural experiences in America are not universal - Not sure how you ended up with Armageddon is the equivalent of Bioware
Quote from: Kismetic on October 26, 2022, 09:42:01 PMgives me the brain scramblies

QuoteDungeons and dragons was mentioned as being... Somehow better? But well... Compare what she is doing today, to where they are now? (lol it looks like a parody almost) Dungeons and dragons has almost no audience outside America, it's just not really had much of a cultural impact on most of the world, and likely never will as awareness of it fades.

Your assertion.  Not a great one.  Hence all of the attention you're getting. 

You are literally being quoted with what you typed, and saying you didn't type it.

You said what you said, not what you THINK you said. Dungeons and Dragons MAY be an "America only thing" (which is an incredibly poor way to defend your argument). There are a hundred roleplaying systems out there, from Pathfinder to GURPS. But you posited that that Dungeons and Dragons has not had an impact on the world.

Dungeons and Dragons inspired MUDs in the first place, which inspired Everquest. Dungeons and Dragons was (one of) the first game(s) to popularize the idea of "War games for entertainment".

You have yet to backup anything you've said and just cower behind memes and "but I didn't say what I said".

Come on. You have an opinion? Lets hash it out. The topic of "Did you hear about Arm first or DnD" so far seems pretty split. Whats your stance? You had never heard of Dungeons and Dragons until Arm, and therefore Dungeons and Dragons isn't as popular?

"I heard the remix before the original, and therefore the original wasn't any good. Who IS this Paul McCartney guy anyway? Kanye 'boutta blow him up."

Quote from: Kismetic on October 27, 2022, 12:37:37 PMYour assertion.  Not a great one.  Hence all of the attention you're getting.
It's kind of worrying just how visceral the anger is at the thought of other people having different lived experiences than you - people can still enjoy something without everyone in the world having to find it interesting