Bring back the temporary Gladiator Roles :D

Started by Iiyola, October 25, 2022, 03:30:19 PM

I've been rereading some old reports from 2017, and boy, were they fun.

People were able to apply for a quick throwaway gladiator, and the Arena was always packed.

Can we have that back again for a limited time?  :)
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Penned and Reigning gladiators were glorious and a fun thing to look forward to whenever they arrived. It's a shame they've been closed so long.

Quote from: Iiyola on October 25, 2022, 03:30:19 PM
I've been rereading some old reports from 2017, and boy, were they fun.

People were able to apply for a quick throwaway gladiator, and the Arena was always packed.

Can we have that back again for a limited time?  :)

SO MUCH THIS! <3 

Please don't.  The arena matches were so exhausting they saw dwindling attendance.  The fights were fixed and contrived.  It was really difficult to get retention in the role which were quite restrictive.  There was a ton of misguided RP surrounding the slaves.

The arena gladiators were fun if they had the right noble/doyen supporting them.. It was a blast just please don't do weekly games.. maybe a once a month arena event?
"Bring out the gorgensplat!"

Quote from: Bebop on October 25, 2022, 05:00:16 PM
Please don't.  The arena matches were so exhausting they saw dwindling attendance.  The fights were fixed and contrived.  It was really difficult to get retention in the role which were quite restrictive.  There was a ton of misguided RP surrounding the slaves.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

They were only contrived because of how utterly binary Arm's combat code can be.

Even mixing it up and forcing the glads to use specific "grips" always favors one party over the other. And of course the older, more popular glad always got the better one.

If glads were all put to roughly the same footing and kept the same, it would be much better imo. There wouldn't be a case of a years long reigning king who just absolutely cannot be killed because he simply had 1 extra month of being whacked at.

We all know that was an enormous problem, but no one else seems to want to admit to it.

I think only penned should be opened/playable.. The reigning would just dilute the player base by 2-3 players. But it could add something fun if done right, Gladiator auctions, trades, blood ball etc.
"Bring out the gorgensplat!"

I'd love to see the alternative characters used for more things. Not just gladiators.

Maybe have a few people that have alternate characters that help with "filling out" clans. Maybe additional Dealers that help get orders out. Byn Sergeants, that help with compound things, recruiting, helping with training, etc.

Almost like some sort of step below a staff member that kind of helps keep things running smoothly, and keeps things a little more active. But they aren't meant to be full characters or be involved in plotlines or anything like that.
21sters Unite!

Quote from: creeper386 on November 13, 2022, 09:48:44 PM
I'd love to see the alternative characters used for more things. Not just gladiators.

Maybe have a few people that have alternate characters that help with "filling out" clans. Maybe additional Dealers that help get orders out. Byn Sergeants, that help with compound things, recruiting, helping with training, etc.

Almost like some sort of step below a staff member that kind of helps keep things running smoothly, and keeps things a little more active. But they aren't meant to be full characters or be involved in plotlines or anything like that.

I think it would actually be pretty neat if you could do this with sponsored roles and "regular" characters in a sense, in reverse. Like, anyone with a sponsored role has the ability to also just play a nonplot-driving schmoe character as well, with the stipulation that they have to say, play their sponsored role 2x as many hours a week as the other or something, or as many hours a week, whichever, only the other character cannot join any clan but player created clans or apped in as tribals of some sort, so there is no conflicting political/plot interest likely outright. I feel like with the ability to step out of the responsibility and staff reliance that can accompany a sponsored role, some of the people who store their sponsored roles out of boredom or frustration might last longer in them.

I'm somewhat 'meh' on this considering the time and effort that has to be levied onto staff for it to work. I'd rather see ongoing efforts continued than see gladiators distracting from that.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Keep up all the awesome stuff you are currently doing, staff.

Quote from: Dan on November 13, 2022, 11:45:16 PM
I'm somewhat 'meh' on this considering the time and effort that has to be levied onto staff for it to work. I'd rather see ongoing efforts continued than see gladiators distracting from that.

When we have a surfeit of players to fill temp roles go for it, we don't even have enough player power to enable paramilitary clans, let alone temporary ones.

Just legalize dueling in the streets.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Quote from: LindseyBalboa on November 18, 2022, 01:51:52 AM

Copy & paste & modify barfight code to a weapon's version and allow it in specific zones (like a dueling zone in primary cities)
players will take their turn and emote before typing the next round of attack. Is more fun vs a flowing screen of instant death

No, bring back gladiator roles. I was poorly stored once with promise I could play as a gladiator. I want that.
The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God? -Muad'Dib

So let's all go focus on our own roleplay before anyone picks up a stone to throw. -Sanvean

After returning from almost a year absence and finding it a struggle to find bread and butter roles from open clans, this is definitely a good, it would be nice, type of role, but diluting the playerbase right now would just make the game feel emptier outside of your thirty minute gladiator fight no matter how elegantly emoted it is.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Quote from: Pariah on November 20, 2022, 01:10:20 PM
After returning from almost a year absence and finding it a struggle to find bread and butter roles from open clans, this is definitely a good, it would be nice, type of role, but diluting the playerbase right now would just make the game feel emptier outside of your thirty minute gladiator fight no matter how elegantly emoted it is.
Gladiator roles except for the reigning gladiators are all secondary characters. Reigning gladiators are primary characters that can walk around allanak (as slaves and relevant slave docs/rules)

November 20, 2022, 01:23:54 PM #19 Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 01:26:49 PM by Pariah
Quote from: betweenford on November 20, 2022, 01:15:53 PM
Quote from: Pariah on November 20, 2022, 01:10:20 PM
Gladiator roles except for the reigning gladiators are all secondary characters. Reigning gladiators are primary characters that can walk around allanak (as slaves and relevant slave docs/rules)
I'm aware, but there is still only so many hours in the day, say you're chosen lord fancy pants and I need you, and you're spending days off playing back and slash in allanak, it's still a draw on resources.

Edit: only way I see it working without taking away from the base game is if they let you log into both characters at one time and I'd bet money they won't want that.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

I wish everyone was allowed 1 secondary character as a role like Gladiator. You know something you can only play at certain events on certain times/days. No way you can pass or have access too important IG knowledge.
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Quote from: Bast on November 20, 2022, 08:57:47 PM
I wish everyone was allowed 1 secondary character as a role like Gladiator. You know something you can only play at certain events on certain times/days. No way you can pass or have access too important IG knowledge.

I would rather have this than having it as a perm role for the a PC.
Fredd-

While it's definitely a fun role as I've had one before.

You guys have to understand that we are running clans with bare bones skeleton crews right now, simply because there isn't enough players to play the established roles in game.

How could bringing another drain on that into reality be a good thing for the bread and butter game?

Quote from: Pariah on November 20, 2022, 09:40:51 PM
While it's definitely a fun role as I've had one before.

You guys have to understand that we are running clans with bare bones skeleton crews right now, simply because there isn't enough players to play the established roles in game.

How could bringing another drain on that into reality be a good thing for the bread and butter game?

I was trying to join a clan not three days ago to find out they were full. Players will play where they are having fun. If they are not enjoying a specific clan, all the not having other options in the world won't make them play it or enjoy it, they simply won't log in. I said this before when people implemented karma timers initially and sure enough the votes suggest at least 25-50% of the playerbase was either not on or biding their time for karma regen, and the same applies here. It's a game, my dude. People will play what they have fun and enjoy playing, and not ANYTHING else, no matter what. And if they have fun and enjoy playing these roles, how is that a net negative? Maybe if your clan is having issues recruiting, the documentation, leadership, or some specific small detail (pay scale, schedule, god knows what) is the reason why, but not allowing people to have fun? Probably not gonna make them join some clan they don't want to.

I'm not doubting people play what they like at all.

But there needs to be limits in place so people can get the bare bones needs of the developed clans.

I'd much rather see Salarr or Kadius filled up (They may be, I'm just spitballing here) that to have fifteen folks spending all their time hack and slashing each other in arena contests.

Why, because my and other players characters need stuff from those clans and merchant houses, they provide plots and reasons to go on besides seeing Advanced or Master next to a skill eventually.

I tend to play mostly hunter dudes, yet hardly anyone is playing crafter types, or merchant house types who need the goods I gather.  I'd much rather see those vital roles filled before we go, "Hey bro, you like chopping shit up, here's a throw away character!"

And you know what, that's just my view, maybe yours is different and that's okay.  But I believe the reason why they were closed is because of that very issue I described.

I think opening Tuluk was a venture to get back players who enjoyed that type of roleplay, and without looking at numbers maybe it worked, but when the max I've seen is:

who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 44 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

On the game, and you take into account that most of them are probably nobodies, it makes you wonder where they are and what they are doing.  Lots of people myself included like to explore and fight the PVE type aspect, but it's not a single player game, even the outliers need some interaction.

I just don't see how throwing a bunch of throwaway gladiators into rotation is going to help us find interaction or further any plots besides, "Wow did you see that arena event Lord Templar Sweetbooty threw?"

I like the way you think
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: Halaster on November 20, 2022, 11:01:16 PM

I like the way you think

The Purge... Zalanthan edition.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on November 30, 2022, 03:45:50 PM
Quote from: Halaster on November 20, 2022, 11:01:16 PM

I like the way you think

The Purge... Zalanthan edition.

No, sir, I do not bite my thumb at you sir; but I bite my thumb, sir.
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

There's probably too many roles being opened as is.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 01, 2022, 04:55:07 AM
There's probably too many roles being opened as is.
A few of them being outside the 2 main cities, which dilutes PC congregation. Arena events actually gather PC's to one location.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

I'm not sure if this was posted but for those who don't want to play a temp Gladiator role, it would be nice if OOCly we can watch the games like that one time in early 2010's.
Fredd-