Command Addition: Familiarize [location]

Started by RheaGhe, August 16, 2022, 08:39:32 PM

Summary: A command that becomes available either after a certain amount of time in a faction, or after staying a set amount of time in a certain room that has the quit command natively.

Command choice: Directions is a command that allows you too if you are outside, direct yourself room by room towards a location. help directions states

QuoteThis command allows the character to find directions to locations
they are familiar with in their hometown.  As a resident of a city you
will know the directions to the most common locations.  You must be
outside and be able to see in order to get directions.

Given the wording here, Familiarize is the best choice for the verb to use here. As it flows into the help directions page as well.

My thought on the function of directions... Is that why not expand it... As your character grows and stays in new places. Whether in their home town, or if they move, their new city. They should be able to learn and grow to navigate to those places.

My idea on the function of the hypothetical familiarize command, is that it might be limited locations where this is valid. Either ones where there's already a landmark, with the addition of a landmark for a faction base. Or perhaps, you could tie it to a logout location instead. Where on logout you roll a kind of similar training feature to skills. With a cooldown so you can't just spam it. And then eventually you can familiarize with that location. After a large amount of days spent there.

I always try to be vague with the implementation ideas or provide multiple tracks of fitting development for
feature, as I tend to trust developers to know their game better than I do, and create a feature based on a good suggestion that functions within their framework. In this case I suggested two possible viable implementations. But it may be that a 3rd is just as good. And I'd love to hear what other users think.

That's a pretty cool idea.

Tangentially related: expand "directions" to support certain wilderness PCs. I'm specifically thinking of tribals who may need help finding their way back to camp. Put a radius limitation on it, maybe.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on August 16, 2022, 08:49:49 PM
That's a pretty cool idea.

Tangentially related: expand "directions" to support certain wilderness PCs. I'm specifically thinking of tribals who may need help finding their way back to camp. Put a radius limitation on it, maybe.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Would definetly be nice to have.

Like directions to known landmarks. Shieldwall, obelisks, pillars, some wagons, The salt flats
Quote from: nauta on February 23, 2015, 04:50:18 PM
Tek's Balls - See Utep's teeth.

If life gives you lemons, open a lemonade stand untill you make millions, invest into weapons and go to war.

Yes, please! ^^^
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Rewind branch off Direction Sense?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.