Some proposed.... ELF changes???

Started by betweenford, July 28, 2022, 07:05:07 PM

Hey. I've played some elves! But they could use some tweaking for game feel and some other stuff without necessarily being OP. Here's some general thoughts I have that might edge towards being OP in isolation or together but who knoooooooows, other suggestions that aren't ridic are welcome:

Climb: I think elves, of all stripes, should have climb as a racial skill either in combination to what they get now or to replace something like Steal.

"Desert" running for city elves: City elves are still elves, and in the odd circumstance they're in the desert, they should be able to run. Not to the same capacity as desert elves though. Give them the same MV cost as walking as a human/elf currently has, when they do run in the desert. Would feel more thematic whenever they have to accompany a byn contract, or they have to flee to the desert for some reason, or they're part of a celf tribe who hunts in the desert sometimes, or that's their personal character mage concept but they're tribeless celf.

Regeneration: I think desert elves have fallen a bit behind their c-elf brothers and mounts, especially with recent changes. Tweaks to speed on certain terrain could probably be looked at for them, but mostly I think they should have less penalties(to the rate of regeneration) when in difficult terrain as compared to humans in the more 'basic' desert tile rate. Maybe specific to tribe, maybe on the whole. Horrid badlands, canyons, salt, harrowingly dry places etc, all places where they camp/run/whatever. Maybe you shouldn't need that tent to roam the salt, but it do be hot enough to bring one if you don't want to suffer the heat.

Fast metabolism: Running endless stretches of desert works up an appetite! Losing MV in a desert run should make elves hungrier at a pretty noticeable rate, but in turn a well watered well fed elf should probably have a pretty noticeable bumped rate at regenerating MV. Kind of like mounts. These dudes gotta run like a well oiled engine when they're pumped full of gas. Alot of this suggestion can probably be applied in general to other races as well, when they do labor/recover.

+1 to all of these.

Realistic, but still fun and unique.

QuoteClimb: I think elves, of all stripes, should have climb as a racial skill either in combination to what they get now or to replace something like Steal.

I think steal is a basically worthless racial skill.  I've had some successes with it, but ultimately its usefulness is just so incredibly limited when compared to just...being a good elf.  That being said, with main classes and subclasses as they are, I think climb is better kept as a factor of consideration in choosing your class and subclass.  I could probably be swayed from this pretty easily, but it's not like I actually matter that much anyway.

Quote"Desert" running for city elves: City elves are still elves, and in the odd circumstance they're in the desert, they should be able to run. Not to the same capacity as desert elves though. Give them the same MV cost as walking as a human/elf currently has, when they do run in the desert. Would feel more thematic whenever they have to accompany a byn contract, or they have to flee to the desert for some reason, or they're part of a celf tribe who hunts in the desert sometimes, or that's their personal character mage concept but they're tribeless celf.

I've been looking for some balance of this for some time.  Perhaps with desert-elves getting bonus stamina now and city elf endurance, city-elves having desert run is viable.  I've always just been on the opposite end, where they don't -run- like desert elves do in the desert.  They walk or sneak.  It's not as thematic, but it denies them the -speed- of desert elves, but the endurance to say, walk with their byn unit or something like that.  I don't know which is better, this is actually a hard balance to strike in my head.

QuoteFast metabolism: Running endless stretches of desert works up an appetite! Losing MV in a desert run should make elves hungrier at a pretty noticeable rate, but in turn a well watered well fed elf should probably have a pretty noticeable bumped rate at regenerating MV. Kind of like mounts. These dudes gotta run like a well oiled engine when they're pumped full of gas. Alot of this suggestion can probably be applied in general to other races as well, when they do labor/recover.

This would be cool, not gonna lie.  Desert elves pausing to snarf down food and water at every opportunity to keep up high-octane movement.  Though it might be cool to just...base it off of the amount of stamina drain they suffer rather than the way you propose it.  An elf staying in the camp?  Very low food/water requirement.  An elf out running?  High regeneration, but constantly getting hungry.  Not a giant difference, but one that allows for low-activity to have its own reward with their metabolism as well.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on July 28, 2022, 07:42:30 PM
QuoteFast metabolism: Running endless stretches of desert works up an appetite! Losing MV in a desert run should make elves hungrier at a pretty noticeable rate, but in turn a well watered well fed elf should probably have a pretty noticeable bumped rate at regenerating MV. Kind of like mounts. These dudes gotta run like a well oiled engine when they're pumped full of gas. Alot of this suggestion can probably be applied in general to other races as well, when they do labor/recover.

This would be cool, not gonna lie.  Desert elves pausing to snarf down food and water at every opportunity to keep up high-octane movement.  Though it might be cool to just...base it off of the amount of stamina drain they suffer rather than the way you propose it.  An elf staying in the camp?  Very low food/water requirement.  An elf out running?  High regeneration, but constantly getting hungry.  Not a giant difference, but one that allows for low-activity to have its own reward with their metabolism as well.
This is a good point except most of the desert camps are outdoor wilderness rooms so moving from room to room to room sorting stuff in the camp is actually more exhausting than you'd think. Them camp-bound elves gonna be STARVING.