Hold door

Started by Gorobei, November 22, 2003, 08:48:24 PM

You know what would be neat?  If doors could be held shut, without needing a lock.  This would be based completely on strength, and possibly weight.  I also think doors should be kickable, to open them, but that could be abused, and would make burglars less rockin'.
Anyway, that's all.  Talk amongst yourselves.

I'd like to see doors Kickable and Bashable. If your noble is in the next room getting raped you are not gonna wait for the house servant to fetch a key. However. I think that there should be critical fails for said actions that would involve damage and or penalties for some time.

ow leg.

As for holding a door. Yeah that sounds like the guard skill in one way. Maybe Guard door

open door

the door is guarded from the other side and will not open

or

the door opens after some force (they fail thier guard check)

*shrug*
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

I've had imm help to open a door before. The situation went something like this:

Some guy wanted my character dead. I didn't know at the time. We go to his (non-coded clan's) house, which was just a normal house and spar. He was a bit better than my character and could kill him. He gets up and pulls out a weapon. My guy gets up and they fight. He gets out of there and goes to the door. It's locked.

I wish up saying, "Quick, I need someone to please help. I want to bash down this door and get out." So they're fighting, my guy's barely holding his own and taking nicks and scratches. I'm dishing out some but not as often as him and I'm using a shield. I get to about 75ish HP, and have a surge of luck. Someone sends, "Go!" My guy bolts out of there, but not before nailing him hard on the neck and giving him something to remember.

I got lucky that there was an imm up. It was Naephet (He made a note of it on my account). If there weren't any highlords or overlords about, I would have been pretty screwed. In some cases, a skill like this is good. Maybe branch it from kick to prevent it being abused. I'm in favor of it.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

I am also in favor of it. I do not, however, think that it should be a skill in the traditional numerical manner. I think, instead, that it should simply rely upon your weight, agility, and strength. It should take movement for each failed or successful attempt, like foraging does, and it should never be able to go up or down. Then, there will be no abuse.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I'd make it dependent on size and strength. Hopefully, however, this wouldn't be abused by curious half-giants, but it'd be interesting. Half-giants could be very good thugs and robbers, if they can just break down a door in a few slams. Think of using a hammer, too.

And how would they abuse it? I think someone with enough karma for a hg has some common sense not to abuse the code.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

That would of helped me countless amounts of time when I was trying to escape the militia. Or atleast make it look like I'm more desperate to escape from them if they bust down the door, sending me flying. I think that right there if someone was watching.. would really get them Armadiccted.
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

Was there any decision from the staff to implement something like this?
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

I am personally in favor of this idea, though some measures could be taken to prevent abuse.

Kicking uses one's feet: If they're using chitin or bone boots and kicking a sturdy door, they risk cracking their boots.  Kicking with softer or no boots could simply do damage.
Same about trying to bash them with one's shoulder.

Noise: A lot of it.  Enough to possibly wake whoever is sitting past the door, as well as anyone a room or two away.  This, by the way, only refers to the quieter rooms, as nobody will hear someone kicking down a door fifty cords away from the local bazaar.

Oh, and let's not forget the annoying little munchkin who is waiting behind the door with half a gazillion traps and a blowtorch.

I am in favor, but one last things...I think some doors could be protected by spikes on their surface (more for the templarate warehouses and Nenyuki vaults) or special hinges.  Sounds cool, though.  I can't wait to break my foot on a door now.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

How do you figure which way it can be opened? With this code, I could block someone from leaving their house, and they could block me from entering their house.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

QuoteI am also in favor of it. I do not, however, think that it should be a skill in the traditional numerical manner. I think, instead, that it should simply rely upon your weight, agility, and strength. It should take movement for each failed or successful attempt, like foraging does, and it should never be able to go up or down. Then, there will be no abuse.

In favor of that method, after all, not many doors are going to stand up long to a half-giant, muls probly get through pretty easy, some dwarves....though, most doors a half-giant would only need push on, lets face it, some leather hinges and a wooden lock are going to stand up to a naked half-giant pushing? I say naked cause even that is over a ton, fully armored you have to start thinking around 3,200lbs, even an armored mul is going to run around 1000.

Not a skill, A 6 inch thick wooden door, barred is gonna keep a 180lbs elf/halfelf/human/dwarf out, no matter how good they are at kicking doors.

Oh, one other thing, door bashing should be NOISY, to the point it will wake up people sleeping in the same or next room.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

QuoteKicking uses one's feet: If they're using chitin or bone boots and kicking a sturdy door, they risk cracking their boots. Kicking with softer or no boots could simply do damage.
Same about trying to bash them with one's shoulder.

I disagree with this completely, I personally have kicked in a very sturdy door wearing just tennis shoes.

It didn't hurt my foot at all and flew right open with a nice crunch as he doorframe splintered.

When you kick in a door, it's not usually the door itself that gives, (although it does happen) but the frame around the door.

Heh, so I was somewhat of a hoodlum when I was younger. I've not only done it myself but seen it done by others I was with...more times than I'd really like to say.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I don't mind the idea of holding doors shut so much, but then if you can use your mass to do that, the code would have to allow you to use your mass to do the opposite.  My problem with that is this. SOmeone has to feel twinkish just ONCE in their life to go bashing all the doors down in the rinth, or all of allanak.  This behavier could easily be abused even if it was a skill.  And then we maybe stuck with several broken doors, which either come back at reboots or the imms have to fix.  This would also add a "replace bashed doors" expense to players who own houses, not exactly someone should have to regularly plan for.