Crafting

Started by sacac, November 22, 2003, 06:53:46 PM

I suggest this: (I'm going to use floristry as the example skill)
When I type 'craft flower'.
I get 'You don't think you can make anything from this'

Which never helps me when I'm trying to make things.

So here's my idea:
When I type 'craft flower'
I think it should be like
'You don't think you can make anything from this'
'You think you would need a thick tandu string'

Or in lamens terms. Since one of my characters had floristry, which means they know it better than me. I think they should help me out.
Good idea? I like it.. but again.. Just a newbie.
Any ideas to make this better?
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

I think it's a good idea. But only if ICily you knew how to make those things.

But it'd be difficult to code as some things use more then one or two ingredients.

>craft flower
You don't think you can make anything.
You'd need a pink flowery vase.
You'd need a length of dried numut vine.
You'd need a brightly colored flower.

How do you know what goes with what in something like that? There could be alot of different recipes right there.

But the idea has potential. As I've had troubles just trying to find what works with what. Although finding out is sometimes very fun, it can be intimidating and frustrating nonetheless.
21sters Unite!

You can find out what goes into making things with the Analyze skill.

You find something interesting, that looks like it's done using the crafting skill you have, and ANALYZE it. If it's craftable, AND if it's made using the skill you have, it'll give you an indication of that.

In some cases, the thing could be made out of a number of other things - a variety of possible combinations. In that case, or if your analyze skill isn't high enough yet, it'll tell you something like... "You think you could make this, but you're not sure how." I don't remember the exact echo but it's sorta like that.

In some cases it's pretty obvious what you'd need, but also if your craft skill isn't high enough, there's no way it's gonna tell you exactly what you need to make it, even if there is a specific unique recipe/combo. I think that makes sense.

In the case of multiple combos.hypothetical example:

craft widget

You can make a purple widget
You can make a green widget
You can make an orange widget
You can make a chartreuse widget
etc. etc. etc.

and then you want it to ALSO tell you what components go into making it? Do you realize the screen scroll involved? Especially if the purple widget can be made of bone and purple dye, bone and purple dye and a carnelian, a small length of bone and purple dye, bone and a purple flower, bone and a purple flower and carnelian, a small length of bone and purple dye, etc. etc. etc.

LOTS of craftable stuff can be made into a bunch of different things, and some things can be made FROM a bunch of different things. To list them whenever someone types craft could cause some serious headaches.

I like the craft system as is. Analyze is a great ability and much better than having to just randomly combine things. And just as well, your character can have an appreciation for those items and ask to be examine them and then use analyze to figure out what it's made of. Your idea feels like it would water down the crafting system too much in my opinion.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Maybe if it was a skill that was solely based on wisdom?
would that even it out?
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

No.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Yeah, I think half of the fun is finding out new things which can put you a step ahead of the competition who either have to buy your product to analyze and then join in the 'race to the merchant after reboot' game or just wish they were as cool as you.