Apartments deathtraps and stealth

Started by Dresan, June 26, 2022, 09:04:01 PM

Its been said in other threads so I'll keep it short, apartments feel like deathtraps. The fact that people have pick is not really an issue, its the fact that being in an apartment without being a heavy combat class with endurance as your second priority is really dangerous.

As someone who loves stealth in the game, even I feel that apartments should be no_hide rooms.  You should be able to sneak in, but you shouldn't be able to hide. Additionally if you flee and have the key...then the door should auto open and let you run out just just with flee command.

It wouldn't only make apartments feel less like deathtraps but it would also deter random burglary since a burly dwarf could walk in and just bash the thief to bits, if the thief isn't careful.

Could we make all apartment doors crash-outable? Probably with a Javascript on the inside?

Such that from inside you can ALWAYS just "open door" (regardless of whether you have a key), leaving the door in the unlocked state. In case, you know, your new tall friend already stole the key from you.

I'd support a successful flee roll automatically opening the door as well.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

I'm indifferent on apartments being no_hide. I do want people to use them more, though...

I'd like to see no_hide rooms notify the hider, because usually this seems to be set based on playability/sneaky-control rather than any particular logic.

> hide
You don't think you could hide here.

The pick skill just makes having apartments useless. Maybe only fences have the fine motor skills for the task.
-Stoa

Quote from: stoicreader on June 26, 2022, 09:59:18 PM
The pick skill just makes having apartments useless. Maybe only fences have the fine motor skills for the task.

It does not make them useless, it makes storage of large amounts of valuables a risk.  You counter this risk to the best of your ability via better locks, how and when you can.  There is not supposed to be a 'safe space' for anything, with clans offering the biggest boon because of their round-the-clock security staff.  Being an independent requires you to arrange your own additional security.  The pick skill is a strange one because in it's use, it's often outright twinky on the surface, and can be easily judged for it; often, you have to get past a guard, or do things within 'look n' range of an npc.  However, that's because the setup of apartment security is in itself kind of twinky; there are no windows, no guard changes, no distractions, and to play every burglarly scene out to the max is both tedious and would require staff involvement on just about every one.

QuoteYou should be able to sneak in, but you shouldn't be able to hide.

Opposite end for me.  Hiding in a room is generally doable.  Getting to a place ahead of time, lying in wait, is actually a good use of the 'trap', particularly since it's assumed in that scenario that the target will have their own key.  SNEAKING into a room, particularly while shadowing, is moving through a narrow doorway that is presumably easily noticed by the rest of the room.  A 1 room apartment with someone inside is pretty difficult to get into without being noticed if it's occupied.  Getting into an apartment with someone inside should require some incredible skill (i.e. not impossible, but large -sneak modifier), some cunning/trickery, or require that the apartment be larger than one room, where someone moves out of view of the door (unless we're going to stick with the windows thing, in which case the entire topic is irrelevant and we continue treating the pick skill and stealth in apartments as 'workarounds' to code limitation).

I still want to see indoor locks.  Bars across the door that allow for even a picked door to be sealed shut unless brute force is used (which can bring in crimflags due to noise; str-based check not required, there can be levers and such, or other means, point being this stage is not stealthy).  This means if you actually log out consistently in your apartment, it's relatively safe while offline.  Not completely, but relatively.  It becomes vulnerable while you are -online- and -elsewhere-, which makes the potential burglar actually scout apartments and their owners, and risk discovery with each and every theft, incentivizing speed and stealth over 'grab everything that I can and bog myself down because no one will see this anyway'.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I kind of like that apartments aren't that safe of a haven. Both cities feel quiet to me; things are better if they happen in public, rather than in private. I don't really see that big of an issue here and I do think the problem is way overblown.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Dresan on June 26, 2022, 09:04:01 PM
Its been said in other threads so I'll keep it short, apartments feel like deathtraps.

Welcome to Zalanthas!
I think everything is fine with how the apartments work. They shouldn't be a safe haven in this harsh environment where every single person is ready to corrupt, betray or murder you.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

You think:
"No! Please leave me be whoever you are."

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

Quote from: Patuk on June 27, 2022, 03:32:06 AM
I kind of like that apartments aren't that safe of a haven. Both cities feel quiet to me; things are better if they happen in public, rather than in private. I don't really see that big of an issue here and I do think the problem is way overblown.

They are just as empty. The bar being empty had nothing to do with apartments.

One way you can check if to get a character with city hunt and check he entrance to every apartment complex and compare the quantity of results by hunt around there bars and the gates.
-Stoa

I know, and it is tragic. Making apartments safer sees that issue get even worse.

Quote from: Patuk on June 27, 2022, 08:13:48 AM
I know, and it is tragic. Making apartments safer sees that issue get even worse.

I think right now, the most active part of the game is in the table lands. Not to get into a tangent.

The apartment fix is a diversion from retaining players. Bigger issues should be focused on first.
-Stoa

Quote from: stoicreader on June 27, 2022, 08:19:57 AM
Quote from: Patuk on June 27, 2022, 08:13:48 AM

I think right now, the most active part of the game is in the table lands. Not to get into a tangent.

The apartment fix is a diversion from retaining players. Bigger issues should be focused on first.

I don't think this is a good idea, let alone a bigger issue, or something that should be done at all. Your apartment isn't supposed to be that safe, and I don't much care for them to become that way.

June 27, 2022, 09:10:28 AM #12 Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 09:13:35 AM by Fredd
Quote from: Dresan on June 26, 2022, 09:04:01 PM
if you flee and have the key...then the door should auto open and let you run out just just with flee command.

It wouldn't only make apartments feel less like deathtraps but it would also deter random burglary since a burly dwarf could walk in and just bash the thief to bits, if the thief isn't careful.

This part I completely agree with.

But you SHOULD be able to hide in apartments.

We really don't need to nerf espionage, we need to nerf absolutely ass brained murders. We need more stealth, but ways to escape being in  a room with a locked door, IE.

killing someone in a city should take a bit of planning, a bit of following and learning a routine. But the answer isn't to make it harder for the people who get the info people need for politics. it's to put things in place to make people roleplay the killing out more.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quotekilling someone in a city should take a bit of planning, a bit of following and learning a routine. But the answer isn't to make it harder for the people who get the info people need for politics. it's to put things in place to make people roleplay the killing out more.

This is a derail, but these statements honestly make me perplexed.  Not out of lack of understanding the feeling, but what people are actually expecting out of murder scenes.  Do you want people to draw it out, giving a chance for the way to be used?  You can already unlock the door and open it and flee during combat.  Do you want staff to retcon consequences of slowing their roll, so that people are more comfortable giving time before initiating combat?  Do you want people to treat these combat scenes like sparring matches, which are what they are precisely because you feel safe that you won't die, so you don't mind typing out a long emote because if you do get hit hard, the opponent has mercy on and will likely disengage for you?  Do you want every murder scene to stop being brutal and short, and have antagonists or hired killers take the time to explain what's going on, so that they can be the 'stupid villain' that we all make fun of in movies?

What actual roleplay do you want to 'make' them do during murder scenes that is more satisfying than the action itself?  This is one of those places where people say people aren't roleplaying, but the action itself -is- the roleplay.  It is not highly interactive, it's usually quite urgent and filled with actions and reactions.  Do you want combat slowed down altogether so that it's drawn out as long as possible, despite just having the same result, and the same element of trying to react as best and quickly as possible but just with more delays?  What do you mean by 'make them roleplay' it?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I feel as though apartment locks should be deadbolts from the inside, able to be unlocked without a key on the inside. Perhaps barred or bolted with a separate command from the inside.

Basically so you can pick a lock but if the door is barred from the inside you can't open it. If you're inside and someone is killing you, you should be able to get out and unlock/unbar (without a key) the door from the inside but it should incur attacks of opportunity.

Funnily enough, in real life being stuck in an apartment with a homicidal maniac set on killing you and stronger than you is also a death-trap.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Tisiphone on August 31, 2016, 10:37:48 AM
Quote from: Reiloth on August 31, 2016, 10:31:26 AM
Just out of curiosity, are these places you've been to just as dangerous on the street as in a closed off apartment?

No, they're not, generally speaking. Of course it depends on where you are, who you're with, etc. etc. etc. But there are a lot of folks who would take the opportunity of leading you down an alley/to a whorehouse/somewhere semi-private as an opportunity for mischief when they're perfectly "friendly" in public.

And yes, that's doing some violence to the truth, because we're not considering things like gangs, territories, loose tribal affiliations, boroughs, etc.

Quote from: Reiloth on August 31, 2016, 10:31:26 AM
I don't think people need to "stop" having their opinions, just as you are entitled to have both opinions/no opinion.

OK, cool. Let me rephrase it: when you (general you, not you Reiloth) voice the opinion that people not wanting to go into apartments strikes you as 'meta' or 'unrealistic' or whatever, it strikes me that you have very little experience with real-life analogues.

Quote from: Tisiphone on June 27, 2022, 11:00:17 AM
Funnily enough, in real life being stuck in an apartment with a homicidal maniac set on killing you and stronger than you is also a death-trap.

was gonna post exactly this but was too lazy. also y'all not keeping in mind if someone can break into your apartment, relock it, hide, and try to kill you, that you can just walk someone in and try to kill them even more easily. just kill people first.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

also the most apartments i have ever seen rented out in the past few years in allanak coincided with a really big high in terms of criminal clans in the rinth - the valuren had just been introduced. i had trouble finding an empty apartment it felt like. brings me to my point:

safer apartments come with active criminal guilds. criminal guilds typically enforce "steal a few items at most" rules and take bribes to protect apartments from themselves and other criminal groups.
sad

June 27, 2022, 01:37:41 PM #19 Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 01:41:54 PM by Dresan
Given how strong combat character get compared to non-combat merchant classes I've always felt the balance is skewed. When you play these merchant classes your time and effort is often completely at the mercy of very bored people.

I sincerely feel that even making some apartment rooms no_hide is not enough in some cases to illustrate the power of wealth.

In RL there are security companies that rich people can hire to ensure they are safe. In the game thought its not possible to have players guarding you all the time, and its not possible to hire NPC guards. Perhaps instead someone with enough money should be able to make their apartment no hide, by paying for a guard to watch their place. Or we implement expensive npc guards similar to what nobles have for relatively wealthy NPC. The guards might not be that well trained like noble guards and only work in the city but when all it takes is a few hits from from a 0 day dwarf to kill you, anything is better than nothing.

Personally I think less the problem is apartments and hide rather hide and stealth in general.  It's far to binary.  Either you are completely invisible or you are not.  Proximity and all sorts of other factors are entirely lost and getting in when someone is being shadowed too easy.  Stealth needs an overhaul.  Any changes made to apartments is a band aid.

The second issue is doors are impassible barriers.  This goes double for curtains.  How many people have been killed by a closed curtain?  I'm certain it's happened, it's ridiculous, these barriers should not be nearly as effective means of preventing escape as they are. Once again, we're talking band aid solutions for code limitations. 

I rather like the idea of barriers being made into softer barriers.  Sounds like a lot of code work for an old diku mud, but doors and stuff easier and harder to get through depending on what they're made of.  Maybe a curtain doesn't stop movement at all if you use a ! after your moving indicating you mean to go through.  Maybe a door can be charged through depending on the material and craftsmanship.

That plus a stealth overhaul and we'd not have this problem anymore.

it motivates players to join clans, or to come together making their own warehouses / start clans
it is good from that perspective, isn't?

Apartments are deathtraps and that's the way it should be. Here are some options to consider if you do not want to die inside an apartment:

A. Hire a mercenary or guard to protect your apartment.
B. Bribe a criminal organization to put your apartment and your neck on the do-not-touch list.
C. Don't rent an apartment.
D. Buy a tent and move out into the wastes.

Seriously, this topic along with stealth comes up from time-to-time and there are plenty of ways to protect yourself and the goods you store in your apartment. Pretty much all apartment buildings are equipped with anti-stealth type features. 

Balconies should be a viable (if dangerous) escape route, for apartments that have them.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

We already have people avoiding the Gaj and templars.    I avoid apartments too, for exactly the same reasons.

Should there be safe rp stages?

I think the current state of affairs forces social and sexual players into the noble and GMH houses who can give them those safe rp places.   I do not think the game is served when a massive Oash cuddle pile only logs in for estate rp, or Bynners only leave the compound when riding as a full unit, for example.
Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fiiiiiine.

June 27, 2022, 04:04:20 PM #25 Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 04:10:42 PM by Fredd
Quote from: Armaddict on June 27, 2022, 10:16:29 AM
Quotekilling someone in a city should take a bit of planning, a bit of following and learning a routine. But the answer isn't to make it harder for the people who get the info people need for politics. it's to put things in place to make people roleplay the killing out more.

This is a derail, but these statements honestly make me perplexed.  Not out of lack of understanding the feeling, but what people are actually expecting out of murder scenes.  Do you want people to draw it out, giving a chance for the way to be used?  You can already unlock the door and open it and flee during combat.  Do you want staff to retcon consequences of slowing their roll, so that people are more comfortable giving time before initiating combat?  Do you want people to treat these combat scenes like sparring matches, which are what they are precisely because you feel safe that you won't die, so you don't mind typing out a long emote because if you do get hit hard, the opponent has mercy on and will likely disengage for you?  Do you want every murder scene to stop being brutal and short, and have antagonists or hired killers take the time to explain what's going on, so that they can be the 'stupid villain' that we all make fun of in movies?

What actual roleplay do you want to 'make' them do during murder scenes that is more satisfying than the action itself?  This is one of those places where people say people aren't roleplaying, but the action itself -is- the roleplay.  It is not highly interactive, it's usually quite urgent and filled with actions and reactions.  Do you want combat slowed down altogether so that it's drawn out as long as possible, despite just having the same result, and the same element of trying to react as best and quickly as possible but just with more delays?  What do you mean by 'make them roleplay' it?

I said none of that.
What I legit expect out of an assassin is a kill emote.

I have literally walked to my apartment knowing someone was following me to kill me (ooc gut feeling. you get stabbed enough you'll get them sometimes) And stopped, giving them a moment to do their thing before I logged. As I remember it, the killer was kind enough to do a quick kill emote too. I died fairly happy that day, (this is how my last templar's aide died like 2 years ago)

What I would LIKE, is after someone is contracted to kill someone, there is a bunch of stealth rp where the assassin finds the best time to strike, and does it.  (in the last example, the assassin set up a meeting with me the night before, so he could follow me and kill me. Knowing my char trusted his enough to meet him)
Instead of just backstabbing a dude in the middle of a street during broad daylight, cause the code says you can.

edit: And the harder we make it to kill people in the out of the way places where planning is required. The more "middle of the road broad daylight backstabs with no kill emote cause the killer has no time to type it" we will get.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

June 27, 2022, 06:53:44 PM #26 Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 07:12:06 PM by Greve
I agree in principle. It's really idiotic that you can shadow someone into their apartment, or hide in there (what, in a vase?), and assassinate them with impunity. At the same time, however, there's another issue from the opposite side of the spectrum: if you can't lolgank somebody in a manner in which they can't really react, you pretty much can't kill them. For the most part, there are three ways that you can kill somebody on ArmageddonMUD:

1) Just straight-up instakill them. One-hit sap, half-giant headshot, supermeganuke spell, whatever. Just leave no conceivable opportunity for the target to react by literally killing them in one move, or maybe two consecutive hits that happen so fast that they just don't have time to type anything.

2) Render them unconscious or immobile in some fashion. Poisons are the common method, and subdue from someone with militia clanning, and certain spells. With the recent change to poisons, the scarcity of anyone playing in a militia, and the generally uncommon nature of the unnamed spells that can accomplish the same, this is possibly the least of these concerns now.

3) Get them behind a closed door. While your own apartment isn't utterly inescapable (unless they steal your key or something), it takes a seriously cool hand to manage to type out 'unlock door, open door, flee s' while somebody is beating you up. Of course, they can't do that in a cell or some other place where they don't get to open the door at all.

But outside of these three methods, you basically can't kill somebody. I mean, if they volunteer to stay and die, you can, and that's not entirely unheard-of; but by and large, people seek out these three tactics precisely because it can be basically impossible to kill someone without them. No matter how ultra-skilled your fighter dude is, if you don't have eight other fuckers with you to gang-jump somebody, you have to employ one of these methods. I could say a thing or two about the strength stat and bludgeoning weapons here, but I won't.

It definitely sucks to fall prey to the wildly unrealistic nature of "herp derp, he snuck in behind you and you somehow didn't fucking notice when you closed the door," but if we get rid of these stupid tricks without changing any of the design flaws that lead players to pursue them to exclusion, we open up another problem: if you can't render somebody helpless or kill them before they can react, you can't kill them unless they volunteer to die. And it's a shitty way to die, don't get me wrong, but it's often the only way to get to that dude who spends 90% of his life moving between the Gaj's barroom and his apartment upstairs.

The fact that flee is an instantaneous action is a large part of the culprit here, but it's not the only one. Another problem is the fact that unless you have immense strength or the ability to render somebody helpless, you aren't a threat to anybody. It doesn't matter how skilled your warrior is--if you're sporting above average strength on your 100-day human, and your weapons aren't dripping with peraine, you're not killing anybody unless a locked door stands between them and insta-flee, you can do upwards of 100 damage in one go, or they stick around and die willingly. Anything else and they just have too easy of a time getting away, so nobody bothers to try anything else.

Quote from: Greve on June 27, 2022, 06:53:44 PM
It definitely sucks to fall prey to the wildly unrealistic nature of "herp derp, he snuck in behind you and you somehow didn't fucking notice when you closed the door,"

My wife knows a woman who owns and trains German Shepherds. She got really into them after, well--she had one German Shepherd, just your normal pet-grade dog. She came home one night and the dog just LAUNCHED right past her onto the uninvited dude who was sneaking in after. (She had no idea the guy was there.)

Morals:
1) sneak is real
2) hide is real
3) you need to get you a gortok pup

June 27, 2022, 07:04:10 PM #28 Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 07:18:59 PM by Greve
Nobody is able to physically walk through a doorway that you're in the process of closing without your noticing. She might not have noticed the guy as she stepped across the threshold, but it's not as if he could have got inside undetected.

Especially not in a world of murder, corruption and betrayal where people would naturally be wary of these things.

Quote from: Greve on June 27, 2022, 07:04:10 PM
Nobody is able to physically walk through a doorway that you're in the process of closing without your noticing. She might not have noticed the guy as she stepped across the threshold, but it's not as if he could have got inside undetected.

Especially not in a world of murder, corruption and betrayal where people would naturally be wary of these things.

I bet elves could.
sad

As Greve points out, it's a 'Realism vs Playability' sort of argument that crops up now and again.

If anything, hide should have a timer that runs out if you're in a small room with someone alone. It still gives the advantage to the person with stealth, in that they can act first, but they can't ad nauseum remain hidden, even if someone doesn't have scan.

I think until hide is changed to have defining traits as to where you are hiding (hide couch, even), the binary status of 'hidden better than invisibility' or 'not hidden at all' can be a bit wonky when it comes to realism.

And yeah...I haven't liked the sudden apartment deaths that i've been victim to over the years. But as Greve points out, PK isn't simply determined unless you are using relatively safe methods, such as ranged combat, poisons, overpowering strength/reeling, or just overmatched in general.

It also requires a bit of trust/faith that the scenario you are in won't be taken advantage of either way -- by the person initiating the PK, or the victim. I personally don't mind when people get away, or those near misses. They make for interesting stories, nemesis, and adversaries. But it's rare to find someone who is of a similar belief as you when it comes to conflict in the game world.

Often people either throw everything at you in the hopes that it overpowers (multiple poisons, multiple delivery methods, several PCs versus one, etc), or they try to set up a location/scenario where the chances of escape are slim to nil. Unfortunately, one of the long-standing tropes when it comes to the latter is a room with a locked door, which overwhelmingly means apartments.

I still won't play the PC who 'doesn't go to apartments because my employer said so'. It's exceedingly weird and out of place when that kind of logic comes into play -- then again, it's also somewhat based in reality, and I don't think we can equate our modern understanding of privacy and locked doors and apartments to that of Zalanthas. I think people would understand that apartments, locked doors, are a knife that cuts both ways.

If you are the kind of person who needs to hold on to a lot of stuff, who prefers to have privacy for their intimate encounters, and who wants to rent a place of their own rather than share a dormitory with many other people, you would also likely understand the risks involved with that. As someone else pointed out (najdorf), it's a realistic impetus to rent with roommates, to sleep in a warehouse office or dormitory that is shared by other people, and to join clans/groups that have bolstered security and safeguards against criminal elements.

Most of the modern built apartments have safeguards built in -- whether it is communal areas, NPC guards that patrol and scan, or watched/listened to rooms that can be observed from a distance. I do think a lot of it has to do with skills of a criminal nature being binary in how they are executed, you either succeed or fail.

I'd love to see 'pick' actually kick in crimcode on a critical fail for a change, so that guards patrolling in apartment hallways know to arrest someone.

I'd love to see hide have a timer when you are in certain rooms based on your skill level or 'roll' of that hide check, short of reworking hide so that you have to actively hide behind something when indoors, or specify 'hide crowd' when in outdoor city rooms.

Stealth in general is a pretty powerful tool. It isn't that I want to see it nerfed per se, but it definitely stands out as a skillset that isn't 'realistic' when it comes to the foils against it.

I don't think people should need to necessarily scan to find someone who is ultra-hidden, and I don't think people with (master) hide should feel invulnerable in certain scenarios based on their skill alone. I think hide should work best in the city when you can blend in with the crowds, and in rooms that are described as either being cluttered or shadowed. Brightly lit hallways should be difficult to hide in, particularly those that are not well populated. Rooftops and other locations where your vertical silhouette would be clearly obvious should make hide more difficult as well.

Having played several successful assassin types myself, I can say that reliance on the unrealistic coded aspect of hide is well established and understood by 'sneaky types', and used to its every advantage. I'm not sure it's very realistic, or not OP, considering the foils against it are scant and passive in nature (scan).
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

I don't know the amount of coding that would be required for such ideas, but I personally would make it a lot more difficult, while not at all impossible.

1) I'd make stealth/shadowing through any exit with a door connected to it come with a heavy penalty on that specific move. If you can actually follow someone through a door into a small room and get around them when they close it so you're not seen, you're kind of a wizard, but I wouldn't call it impossible.

2) Apartment rooms would also come with a stealth penalty. I'd start it based on room size and clutter, and go from there. A tiny apartment would be near impossible to hide in. If you're in a 10x10 room with one or more other people, you're simply not hiding without magick. Small rooms would have the largest penalty to stealth, while larger ones would grow gradually easier to hide in.
-A room with next to no clutter/furniture would also hold a penalty, as the sneak would have next to nothing to hide behind. As the room grows closer and closer to its weight allowance, the penalty could lessen, and perhaps eventually even become a bonus. Hiding in a noble dining hall with massive drapes, large tables, sofas, etc would provide a lot of opportunity for a sneak.

3) I'd do the above with lots of other rooms in the game world. Some areas in the games mention such terms as 'shoulder width', for example. If you're in a hallway that barely has room to walk past another person, you're not going to be hiding from anyone there.

The fact that people are shadowed through such areas, then through a door, into a small room, and never seen by their victim is eye-twitchable. It's also likely led to lots of stories being cut short in a way that's left a bad taste in people's mouths. I'd admittedly giggle if a few sneaks came up gemmed for such witchery.  :P

My characters often see having the wealth to obtain a home of their own as a rather lofty, but awesome goal. Not for the mass storage, not for all the pipe laying, but because not having to sleep on a lice-infested rag in the Gaj, and not having to share your space with a small crowd of others just to get by, is a pretty big status change for the average city dweller, I would imagine.

If someone kicks the door in and murders face (Definitely pro door-bashing!), or sneaks in behind someone overly drunk, shadows up to that point, then forces in, etc, I'm all for it. It just tends to make me feel very annoyed to see it happening otherwise.

June 27, 2022, 08:07:38 PM #32 Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 08:09:16 PM by Veselka
Yeah, i'd almost like to see other skills used in conjunction with stealth to provide more realistic ingress. Things like subdue, threaten, bash. Off the top of my head:

-Add the ability to bash someone in a direction, ala Carru Code. You have to be stronk, and good at bashing, but from a hidden place you could try and force them into their apartment, and they would be in a state of, well, being bashed. You enter with them, as a carru does when it bashes you with that script. If you miss, you either move past them into the next room, or you hit the floor yourself. Either way, it carries risk vs reward.

-Add the ability to subdue in a direction. This would be akin to holding the knife to someone's throat and moving them into another room. If you succeed the subdue, it simply puts the subdued state in the next room. You should again have to be skilled with subdue, and should get a bonus for doing it from a hidden place. If you fail, you are in a vulnerable state, and again, risk vs reward. This also comes with the idea that you are not armed, as you can't currently subdue someone if you yourself have your hands full. (Unfortunate, I would like it so someone can subdue with their weapon drawn/knife out, in the classic 'knife to the throat' sort of threat, that threaten doesn't /quite/ come off as.)

-Add the ability to 'threaten person <direction'. Same as above, you move with the person (on success) to the next room and enter the threaten state with its modifiers as well (bluff, etc) given after the direction. You have to be skilled in threaten, the person can't be actively watching you, and maybe it can only be done from a hidden state.

The above thoughts/examples would make the risk vs reward much more clear cut. It should be tricky for someone to force their way into an apartment, particularly 1 v 1 and you are shadowing them. The timing of the code would be a required sort of nuance, and I would say someone being shadowed should be 'slower' than the person shadowing them, but that would be gamed pretty quickly (someone would notice they are walking slower than they usually do, and assume they are being shadowed, etc.)
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Nenyuk could hire PCs to police some of their properties and encourage renters to return. Even then, might need some clear solutions to spot problem makers. If they aren't already, I'd make all hallways no-hide. No matter how agile the elves are, the barren halls don't allow for much hiding.

Why don't we just get rid of stealth classes.

We can all play fighters with skinning , and or crafters.

Quote from: Fredd on June 27, 2022, 08:54:58 PM
Why don't we just get rid of stealth classes.

We can all play fighters with skinning , and or crafters.

Instead it is best simply to remove PK from the game and all live in a happy environment.

north
> An empty apartment room.
> You see an NPC man here.
backstab man
> You begin moving silently toward your prey.
> A PC man walks in from the south.
> Whoa! Easy dude. You cannot kill this man, he is PC.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

You think:
"No! Please leave me be whoever you are."

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

Could we get back to constructive discussion? I was kind of enjoying reading this thread up until it started getting sarcastic.

sarcasm is just as helpful as paragraphs on how to make stealth harder for stealth characters, who are one fail away from the entire game hunting them, at any given time.
sad

Quote from: LindseyBalboa on June 28, 2022, 02:08:19 AM
sarcasm is just as helpful as paragraphs on how to make stealth harder for stealth characters, who are one fail away from the entire game hunting them, at any given time.

Let's get rid of stealth. Then stealth characters won't fail at stealth and be PKed for being stealth characters.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Raider is the most played class in the game. Scout comes in second. Miscreant is only third - and a good proportion of those, even, are nobles who play the game from their bedrooms nowadays anyway. This 'problem' is overblown, silly, not so bad in general, and terribly easily solved.

Talk to people in bars. Hand vennant 100 sid if you really want to bang that guy. Stop hoarding every single bleeding chalton hide and getting upset if it's stolen.

Or you could complain on the gdb that crime does in fact exist in third world cities (as it should) and that they are in fact dangerous (as it should be). People in these organisations, be they the Guild or the Valuren or just a rando independent fuck of a thief, have lower life spans than just-about anyone else, are hated by entire cities at large just for existing, and die younger than any fresh runner does. For once, get a damn grip, and try to consider what it's like before yelling about nerfing this and that again.

June 28, 2022, 04:51:04 AM #40 Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 04:56:43 AM by fade
Quote from: Halcyon on June 27, 2022, 03:44:56 PM
We already have people avoiding the Gaj and templars.    I avoid apartments too, for exactly the same reasons.

Should there be safe rp stages?

I think the current state of affairs forces social and sexual players into the noble and GMH houses who can give them those safe rp places.   I do not think the game is served when a massive Oash cuddle pile only logs in for estate rp, or Bynners only leave the compound when riding as a full unit, for example.

+100000

Your PCs and Belongings should always be at high risk. Welcome to armageddon.

That being said, I think depending on the size of the apartment, some rooms should be no hide.

June 28, 2022, 07:55:37 AM #41 Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 09:03:07 AM by Fredd
Quote from: Alesan on June 28, 2022, 01:42:42 AM
Could we get back to constructive discussion? I was kind of enjoying reading this thread up until it started getting sarcastic.

My sarcasm is satire to point out the the absurdity here.

imma go ahead and guess someone's Aide got killed halfway through a romance plot and someone made another one of these posts.

We don't need more stealth nerfs. Hell there are already nerfs in the pipeline if the new class' go through. Huge loss of combat ability for thieves, and the loss of scan and hunt.

edit:
And you all complain no one goes to taverns anymore. Let's give people more incentive to sit in their apartments.

June 28, 2022, 01:23:19 PM #42 Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 01:40:08 PM by Dresan
Quote from: Patuk on June 28, 2022, 03:41:36 AM
Or you could complain on the gdb that crime does in fact exist in third world cities (as it should) and that they are in fact dangerous (as it should be). People in these organisations, be they the Guild or the Valuren or just a rando independent fuck of a thief, have lower life spans than just-about anyone else, are hated by entire cities at large just for existing, and die younger than any fresh runner does. For once, get a damn grip, and try to consider what it's like before yelling about nerfing this and that again.

Funny how this completely escalated down to theivery. As someone who routinely robbed people blind my suggestions would add some risk but it would hardly stop me. Heck, my character robbed an apartment clean as the couple were mudsexing in the next room.

My problem is that this game is often filled with bored people looking for a flimsy excuse to murder someone.  Lets be real here, the people who are getting murdered and targetted aren't burly fighter dwarves in clans. Its easier for them to kill social characters and crafter. It fucking sucks to see that unless you are playing a warrior or combat class with high priority endurance you basically are dead meat the moment someone is bored enough. Even if you aren't playing the combat character people you enjoy playing with are easy fucking prey to even 0 day dwarves the moment you log off.

I don't think its asking for a lot here, you bored  people will still get to murder these non-combat character right outside their apartments without any effort anyways. The only thing this change would do is add the small tiny risk of them running away or someone seeing you commit the murder.  If you are strong enough you can still just open the door to their place, sneak in and just bash.  This would be a quality of life buff to indie characters merchant classes who are more likely to need these places.

Quote from: Dresan on June 28, 2022, 01:23:19 PM

Funny how this completely escalated down to theivery. As someone who routinely robbed people blind my suggestions would add some risk but it would hardly stop me. Heck, my character robbed an apartment clean as the couple were mudsexing in the next room.

My problem is that this game is often filled with bored people looking for a flimsy excuse to murder someone.  Lets be real here, the people who are getting murdered and targetted aren't burly fighter dwarves in clans. Its easier for them to kill social characters and crafter. It fucking sucks to see that unless you are playing a warrior or combat class with high priority endurance you basically are dead meat the moment someone is bored enough. Even if you aren't playing the combat character people you enjoy playing with are easy fucking prey to even 0 day dwarves the moment you log off.

I don't think its asking for a lot here, you bored  people will still get to murder these non-combat character right outside their apartments without any effort anyways. The only thing this change would do is add the small tiny risk of them running away or someone seeing you commit the murder.  If you are strong enough you can still just open the door to their place, sneak in and just bash. This would be a quality of life buff to indie characters merchant classes who are more likely to need these places.

It didn't escalate down to thievery. nerfing one will effect the other. stealth is stealth.

Quote from: Dresan on June 28, 2022, 01:23:19 PM

I don't think its asking for a lot here, you bored  people will still get to murder these non-combat character right outside their apartments without any effort anyways. The only thing this change would do is add the small tiny risk of them running away or someone seeing you commit the murder.  If you are strong enough you can still just open the door to their place, sneak in and just bash. This would be a quality of life buff to indie characters merchant classes who are more likely to need these places.

So...player risk is kind of my big jam to gripe about.  And I think you honestly have some sort of unconscious bias here, or there is a recent event clouding judgment or something.  People who depend on stealth skills are taking risks -constantly-.  It's almost unavoidable.  Even the act of trying to set up a locked-apartment kill in a way that is not 'follow me into my apartment' is inherently risky. 

'Bored people looking for any reason to kill' is a drastic underestimation of your fellow players.  Anyone who thinks 'Huh, well, I'm bored.  I could follow them there and kill them' is someone who blatantly engaged in even more risky mindsets.  These are moves where you're gambling your character's life that circumstances will be good to you, particularly since you are going into a place where -they- will have the key, and you will not (i.e. For you to escape the combat, they have to not be fighting you long enough to use pick again, while they get to unlock and run during combat).  That's the reason you see less 'buff dwarves' targeted for such things...you don't want to be the one looking Rorschach in the face as he growls 'I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me!'.  You will absolutely look for more favorable circumstances to go after someone you know is entirely capable of buffing you out.  This is not twink behavior, this is -rational- behavior.

If you honestly think that you can say people are slaying other people out of boredom, then simultaneously say that they're doing it to escape from risk, then you are again letting something either cloud judgment, or somehow out of touch with risk taking.  These things can and do cost murderers and burglars their lives.

Once again, I do believe that the 'shadowing through the door' issue is indeed an issue.  I don't think that's something that should be done reliably or comfortably.  But lying in wait in someone else's apartment seems entirely feasible and reasonable to me.

Nerfing that will nerf following nobles into estates, which nerfs a LOT of potential espionage plots.

Stealth is stealth. it all works together.

Using the pick skill in an area where crime code is active should give you a chance to get crimflagged based on your skill level and the roll you make while picking the lock. Right now it's a risk-free smorgasboard compared to steal, as long as your target isn't home, due to NPC ai limitations and the binary nature of the stealth code. Staff isn't always able to animate NPCs to help you figure out whodunnit, especially if it happened when they weren't around and don't have access to the runlogs.
Though this world is made of fearsome beasts that bark and bite
We were born to put these creatures through one hell of a fight

QuoteNerfing that will nerf following nobles into estates

While I actually agree with your premise, I'd like to note that despite over a decade of arguing along the lines of this representing alternative ways into the estate because codedly, there is ONLY one way into an estate, I've been told numerous times that this is not a practice that is desired unless expressly permitted with a staff member watching.  Which is why I stopped doing noble espionage and consider clan estates the only somewhat reasonable 'close to perfect safety' in the game.

Quote from: Armaddict on June 28, 2022, 02:43:14 PM

While I actually agree with your premise, I'd like to note that despite over a decade of arguing along the lines of this representing alternative ways into the estate because codedly, there is ONLY one way into an estate, I've been told numerous times that this is not a practice that is desired unless expressly permitted with a staff member watching.  Which is why I stopped doing noble espionage and consider clan estates the only somewhat reasonable 'close to perfect safety' in the game.
wish all I want to shadow a VNPC into the <clan compound>

June 28, 2022, 03:09:53 PM #49 Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 03:20:07 PM by Dresan
Quote from: Armaddict on June 28, 2022, 01:45:18 PM
And I think you honestly have some sort of unconscious bias here, or there is a recent event clouding judgment or something. 

'Bored people looking for any reason to kill' is a drastic underestimation of your fellow players. 

But lying in wait in someone else's apartment seems entirely feasible and reasonable to me.

Oh its a conscious grip with this game and some of its players. Not even the shitty encounters with the staff over the years has bothered me as much as my the behavior of some people here.

To be absolutely clear, I think camping and waiting for a laborer to log in to sap them to death was lame as shit. And while it did not happen to my character, the person who did this sure suceeded in getting me and that person to stop playing this game. And to be clear, I've been murdered in apartments a few times and killed in all sorts of questionable ways but this one left an extra bad taste in my mouth, because that person chose the easy route of going after someone who was not the main source of conflict just because its was an easy kill. 

That happened a couple years ago now, time sure flies, but it still really makes one feel like investing anymore time in this game other than to discuss changes on the forums now and then is a complete and utter waste of time unfortunately. 

...so the entire premise of this is based off of 'I didn't like this, so it shouldn't be possible?'  Is there an -actual- reason why someone can't be under a table, in a nook, under your bed, or any of those countless other scenarios where someone can hide in your house?

I genuinely think this has a lot less to do with a player doing a shitty thing, and lot more to do with coping with a lack of closure on a character, which is a common thing in permadeath games.  Not to mention...if they waited in an apartment for someone to log in, that seems to point very strongly -away- from a kill for boredom, and there being an express purpose.  You may not like that purpose.  You may not think it's strong enough.  But that enters into the subjective relativism that is used across the entirety of the game from one player to the next on whether they do or don't play their character correctly.  Some people may not think I had a good reason to think my character should have been successful in stealing that knife on that belt, i.e. 'Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.'  It enters into the area of which vnpcs need to be counted on to prevent an action, and which ones don't.  It enters the area where it is pure subjective opinion on whether something is good or bad.

I don't know the details.  I assume staff does, because it sounds like it was perturbing enough that you probably wanted the other player looked at.  But none of what has been stated here makes me think anything other than 'Why wouldn't I be able to hide in an apartment?', 'Why wouldn't I kill someone in their apartment?', or 'I wonder if they followed them in while staying hidden, because I stopped doing that when I actually examined how weird that situation is.'

And I definitely start losing all seriousness for the 'problem' being a problem when it comes down to 'these shitty fucking players, we need to make unrealistic changes just to throw wrenches in their plans' instead of getting staff to actually examine whether something was poor or good.

June 28, 2022, 03:42:50 PM #51 Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 03:56:32 PM by Dresan
Quote from: Armaddict on June 28, 2022, 03:20:10 PM
stuff

There isn't anything you said that makes me think of that particular situation as any less shitty or any better of the some of the players i consider as just bored. I still think its lame of people to do that in general, and using the term lame is the polite word here.

That said, many ideas and changes are literally implemented to allow or stop certain behavior of players, whether or not you agree with that behavior is just your opinion. As an example the staff felt waying people before sapping them to be twinky so they made changes to how way worked.  It would be a very different game any ideas or solutions were written off as just 'deal' with it.

What I am proposing is not unrealistic in some apartments. As someone who loves stealth classes themselves this wouldn't even bother me. Some of them are practically empty square rooms and it doesn't make sense for people to hide in them easily. When you take account playability for everyone not just combat stealth classes I think it becomes more reasonable of an idea.

We have different opinions, clearly based on different preferences of play but my original idea stands. And again player rich enough should probably be able to hirer npc for protection, the bored will just need to try harder to find their jollies.  :D

...except the reason this idea is being brought up is you taking something that isn't actually a 'problem', it's something you don't like, and saying that those people who do that thing
to...

Quotejust 'deal' with it.

Once again.  I can agree with shadowing into an apartment to get access being...not impossible, but less than desirable to have possible at the drop of a hat.  I do not believe finding access to get in and wait in any way constitutes 'lameness', just the realism that your private place is indeed private.  You can call that an opinion, but that is why I asked specifically for why that would be something unreasonable to expect.

QuoteAnd again player rich enough should probably be able to hirer npc for protection

It's been brought up, even recently I think, but with 'extra steps'.  The issue might have been how to get the npc's to know who to assist (i.e. one person clans when you hire one?), or it may have just gone down a direction they really didn't want to.  I can't say whether this is in the cards or not, but for this express purpose I'm not particularly against it.  However, funnily enough...one of my more recent characters actually tried to hire themselves out on the foundational principle of 'I'll patrol your apartment buildings if you hire me, one after the other.  I'll check your doors.  You can call on me when you go there to clear it up.'  While this is not omnipresent and depends on my activity...there was actually -0- interest in it.  If players would actually hire the resources that -are- available, the availability of that service would likely go up, i.e. 'WE NEED MORE APARTMENT GUARDS!'  It's not a 100% solution.  But I don't think a 100% solution is really in the interest of anything other than trying to make something entirely possible...impossible.

Quote...the bored will just need to try harder to find their jollies.  :D

Like I said above, seems to be you saying 'You'll just have to deal with it', not anyone else.  So I can say that now, I suppose, since you did first, but we'll just make it a friendly reflection.  The boring will just need to try harder to find their perfect safety. :D

I can name you 5 spots in the sewers which are safer and see less traffic than your average Gaj balcony apartment. :)

It is reasonable that someone would be able to pass through a door without being stealthily followed.

June 28, 2022, 05:21:55 PM #55 Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 06:58:08 PM by Lotion
Quote from: Miradus on June 28, 2022, 04:36:22 PM
I can name you 5 spots in the sewers which are safer and see less traffic than your average Gaj balcony apartment. :)
I think this is because reaching many of these places requires a safe method of vertical traversal and a willingness to cross hundreds of stamina worth of rooms each way.

Quote from: Lotion on June 28, 2022, 05:21:55 PM
Quote from: Miradus on June 28, 2022, 04:36:22 PM
I think this is because reaching many of these places requires a safe method of vertical traversal and a willingness to cross hundreds of stamina worth of rooms each way.

Absolutely!

Quote from: Armaddict on June 28, 2022, 02:43:14 PM

Yeah, you should always wish up if you are breaking into any estate. That's a no-brainer.

Don't let it deter you. If you think you can get in and out, do it. Just make sure to pop some hemotes.

However, it isn't something that should just be done on a whim. It should be something you take your time, and plot out. Add to a report so staff know you are casing the joint, ect ect.

Staff aren't there to protect the noble. So don't be afraid.

There is nothing more hilarious than following someone back to their private clan compound and then sitting down in their chair, propping your feet up on their desk, and saying, "Let's talk about your protection payments."