COMMON-SENSE IDEA: Anti-friendly fire

Started by MeTekillot, May 09, 2022, 02:52:33 PM

If you attempt to attack a clanmate anywhere but inside of a sparring hall, I think it would make a lot of sense for you to need to confirm the command the same way you need to confirm attempts to leap off the Shield Wall. 'kill clanmate now' or 'kill clanmate !' being necessary to go through with attacking them.

Make it a nosave flag and I think you thought of something cool
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on May 09, 2022, 03:58:16 PM
Make it a nosave flag and I think you thought of something cool

+1

+2 if leaders also induct all followers into their clans at recruit rank prior to big combat RPTs.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

This would probably save so many characters needless stupid deaths. The sort of deaths that end up leading to long breaks.
21sters Unite!

• I'm concerned about why you're typing "kill riev" and not meaning to kill riev
  • Reducing accidents is fine. Its kind of like "mercy" code kicking in.
  • I think a "nosave" option isn't as conducive to the original idea, because you may turn it off for 'reasons', and forget to turn it back on afterwards. Making a "kill riev !" means you meant to do it.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on May 10, 2022, 09:00:32 AM

• I'm concerned about why you're typing "kill riev" and not meaning to kill riev

>kill gith
You attack the short figure in a hooded, brown military aba who added the keyword 'gith' on her third day as a Runner because the unit decided to nickname her Gith Clit.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Riev on May 10, 2022, 09:00:32 AM

The fragile, white-haired f-me is standing here.
The big bad in a white mask is absolutely stepping on your Sergeant in the 1v1.

The dopey Trooper shouts, in sirihish:
     "KILL TEH WHITE ONE"

The grey cloaked assassination target walks in from the east.

The accomplice in a cloak of black and grey coughs, giving you the signal!

The evil southern templar is fighting the good northern templar.
The good northern templar is fighting the evil southern templar.

The nonsponsored Sergeant who plays on mobile shouts, in sirihish:
     "assist the Lord temple ar"

Sounds like "in the moment" mistakes that could be fun.

I'd suggest using "assist" and not "kill" for one thing (though I know its not as satisfying to not get that immediate first hit).

In the second example, I can see how that would be tough. Still though.... if you type "assist templar" its on you.

I'm still okay with "kill riev !" if you absolutely have to have something, but I think its not as common sense as your title would suggest. Much like OOC'ing to "turn mercy on" before a spar, it negates the possibility of "making it look like an accident".

there's no plausible deniability while you chopped your boss in the back of the head instead of the guy in totally different clothing that he was fighting. that's not fun that's just stupid

The Venn diagram of fun mistakes and mistakes that happen through ridiculous keyword tomfoolery on account of Arm being a MUD is two separate circles.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

May 10, 2022, 01:07:37 PM #10 Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 01:09:31 PM by pilgrim
Why are people roleplaying about mechanical keyword mistakes and no save flags? "Hey I reminded him to put mercy on before starting the spar and he still killed my friend, it was on purpose!"

????

"Hey they fixed keyword mistakes so friendly fire doesn't exist anymore!"

?????

One of my favorite moments I totally shot someone with an arrow on purpose and then told them that it was a mistake and they shouldn't have been downrange while I was in the middle of shooting. What are they supposed to say, that they don't have any keywords similar to 'target dummy'?

"DO I LOOK LİKE A DUMMY TO YOU?!!"

"yes teehee"

Quote from: Patuk on May 10, 2022, 12:26:15 PM
The Venn diagram of fun mistakes and mistakes that happen through ridiculous keyword tomfoolery on account of Arm being a MUD is two separate circles.

k templar

Honestly, The assist command mistargeting is still an issue that I'm pretty sure has led people get killed.

They problem is ... Noone knows if it's an IC attack or an OOC mistake and in the moment tend to default to IC attack. Which leads to characters dying during a circumstance that would have NEVER happened. Because the difference between a desert beast and having a hooded cloak having a possible hidden keyword, is VERY different if you were looking at them, but the system only really matters who entered the room last.
21sters Unite!

Honestly I would prefer that there not be immunity to mistakes.  But I do think 'assist' with no arguments should search your clan members first.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on May 15, 2022, 09:11:43 PM
Honestly I would prefer that there not be immunity to mistakes.  But I do think 'assist' with no arguments should search your clan members first.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Is it possible, maybe, to have a assist take a clan as an argument?

assist guild
assist byn
assist Arm
assist militia
assist utep

etc etc. My concern would be if the first "Utep" clan in the room is not currently in combat, you'll get the "... but they aren't fighting anyone!" message and lag.

Quote from: MeTekillot on May 10, 2022, 11:20:41 AM
there's no plausible deniability while you chopped your boss in the back of the head instead of the guy in totally different clothing that he was fighting. that's not fun that's just stupid

Sorry to say here, but PEBCAK.

Yes, it sucks.  But it's a MUD, and keywords are a part of it.  The way I worked around this for years is to almost always just use an extra keyword -- or even better, I use names.

I have found very few scrab, carru, gith, raptor, mekillot, or erdlu to be named "Amos" or "Dhayve."

IMHO Sergeants in any military force in game should 100% be teaching their people to 'assist name' never 'assist cloak.'
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

Also, I can't count how many times I've spotted mistargets because some of you all use random sdesc words and cloak words even when you know the target's name.

May 29, 2022, 01:49:36 PM #18 Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 01:52:24 PM by Katima
Quote from: creeper386 on May 11, 2022, 12:02:57 AM
Because the difference between a desert beast and having a hooded cloak having a possible hidden keyword, is VERY different if you were looking at them, but the system only really matters who entered the room last.
Players cannot mistarget the 'hidden' keywords used by staff to make items easier to search in the item DB. Players do not have access to them and cannot ever accidentally target them if they were attached properly.

If you run into a situation where you think an item has a keyword that doesn't belong on it and you also strongly believe that you're mistargeting a person because of it, I would ask that you put in a bug report request and give details of your suspicions as well as the short description (sdesc) of the item in question so we can investigate. Items should not have more player-targetable keywords than are included in the sdesc of the item.
You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy. - Nightbirde

I usually use assist and the name, If everybody is hooded.

Course that does often get "he is not fighting anybody" Or whatever the message is. At which point I will just wait, try again in 5 seconds. If everybody is hooded I will only assist that one name.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Shalooonsh on May 29, 2022, 11:15:50 AM

Yes, it sucks.
Yes, I agree. It sucks and is unreasonable and unrealistic.
IMHO Sergeants in any military force in game should 100% be teaching their people to 'assist name' never 'assist cloak.'
That's a good idea that nearly everyone does specifically because of this problem that we both agree sucks.

Quote from: Armaddict on May 15, 2022, 09:11:43 PM
Can I ask why? I get that we all hazed through chopping the wrong person in the back for no RP reason, but I don't understand what keeping this ludicrous behavior in the game contributes. The fascinating plotline of your raptor tattooed runner getting hacked to death by the Trooper playing on mobile?

What if you could use assist preemptively.

"Assist Amos On" would queue up an assist to Amos if he got into combat. It's not a rescue or a guard, because you wouldn't attack anyone until you see your target being attacked. It stays active as long as it's on, so as long as people are attacking Amos you're assisting him.

"Assist" shows your status.

"Assist off" turns off assist.

It doesn't solve every problem but if you take the time to prepare it'll streamline battle chains until things your people start falling down,  keeping a good balance of fighting chaos and planned tactics.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

That only comes up when Amos is attacked by something from hiding, which initiates a fun feature of Amos not being considered "in combat" until Amos attacks back. So you either have to a) identify and attack what attacked Amos directly, b) hit 'rescue amos' if you're good enough for that to be a viable strategy, or c) wait for Amos to start hitting back. This is true even if you're actively guarding Amos.

Quote from: Delirium on May 30, 2022, 12:41:02 PM
That only comes up when Amos is attacked by something from hiding, which initiates a fun feature of Amos not being considered "in combat" until Amos attacks back. So you either have to a) identify and attack what attacked Amos directly, b) hit 'rescue amos' if you're good enough for that to be a viable strategy, or c) wait for Amos to start hitting back. This is true even if you're actively guarding Amos.

It removes the need to type "assist 4.cloaked" when combat begins, because you're already set up to assist that player as your character sees them being attacked.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

What about adding extra stuff to guard to make it the opposite of threaten? Threaten is probably one of the coolest new skills we've gotten, due to it's versatility and interaction with other skills.

Guard:
This skill allows one person to guard over another, attempting to intervene should they come to harm.

Syntax:
> guard elf
> guard none
> guard elf rescue : Immediately throws a rescue in if the guard fails.
> guard elf assist : Immediately aid your ward in combat if you fail to protect them.
> guard elf bluff : You look like you're guarding them, but you're getting paid a bunch to look the other way.
> guard elf intervene : You attempt to put your body before theirs when targeted with ranged weapons.
3/21/16 Never Forget