LITERACY IDEA: Skill books

Started by MeTekillot, May 02, 2022, 10:10:09 PM

Simple enough; be able to use books to study skills if you're literate. Instead of raw skill gains, perhaps it could very significantly increase how much you gain per skill increase. Or, if we're being wild, it could increase your skill maximum if you study a skill text written by someone with a higher cap than yours.

I'm a big fan of this.

Adds a whole layer of interaction at the levels where literacy is a factor.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

I like this too. Especially with nobles.
'One fire drives out one fire,
One nail, one nail.
Rights by rights falter,
Strengths by strengths do fail.'

-Tullus Aufidius, Coriolanus by William Shakespeare

This would make training some skills as a noble much easier. Since the chances to say, bandage a wound, don't come up that often for them.

And a new neat target for thieves to steal for nobles. Make sure they have some sort of semi-unique look so an illiterate might spot one. Give each house a few books of skills closely related to them, so no one has a complete set. (or even close to one)
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Nobles should not be training for anything.

They should not use their skills.

There are books with information IG with stuff in it (while not code related, has answers and... certain things recorded)

honestly,

if anything, nobles should just have a class of their own with set skills.

I don't understand what is appealing about the Zalanthan nobles being "caricature of useless evil guy". They would be infinitely more interesting if their decadence is paired with deadly competence. Honestly, they should get +5 to every stat just as a representation of them having me never known the desperation and malnourishment most PC characters would in their background.

Quote from: Gentleboy on May 03, 2022, 06:31:12 PM
Nobles should not be training for anything.

They should not use their skills.

There are books with information IG with stuff in it (while not code related, has answers and... certain things recorded)

honestly,

Huh? You have me confused here. You are joking, right? Why shouldn't a noble have a class like anyone else?

Nobles need skills just like any other leader.

Firstly, you simply just can't delegate everything. In a perfect world we could, but this is a game, and minions got rl to handle.

Secondly: Nobles have goals they will want to push. Some might be art based, some might be combat based, some might be freaky research based, and some might be "gentleman thief" based.

Thirdly: What do you want the nobles to do when they are waiting for their minions to do something? Play Elden Ring?

Fourthly: Nobles should be writing books. Books become much easier to write with first hand knowledge.

Fifthly: A LOT of noble houses pair very strongly with some classes. The most obvious of which are the combat oriented Houses, and Combat types. So you want Tor's to not be able to be combat types.

I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Hmmm,

you're right.

A combat noble and a cool noble role.

You should not be crafting or sneaking around as a noble.  The only skills I used were drawing and well.. everyone gets that.

You can craft, but it cannot be sold/used to make money...

Most skills are not used when playing a noble.

Quote from: Gentleboy on May 03, 2022, 11:56:00 PM
Hmmm,

you're right.

A combat noble and a cool noble role.

You should not be crafting or sneaking around as a noble.  The only skills I used were drawing and well.. everyone gets that.

You can craft, but it cannot be sold/used to make money...

Most skills are not used when playing a noble.

I disagree. there's a fantasy trope/genre all about Nobles who steal from Nobles. Or wealthy that steal form the wealthy, ect. It's one I like a lot.
The thought of a scumbag noble robbing the poor also amuses me. That would be an interesting dark secret to find out and blackmail them with.

As for crafting... I kinda agree? On one hand, they really shouldn't need to craft for money, it should be beneath them. But in the hand we live in, getting people to do shit can be expensive and a few thousand a rl week can easily not be enough. IE: Running an event can cost that much fairly easily. Even with people doing things for free where they can. Drinks, food, gifts, prizes, ect. It all costs coin. Sure you could just use your House Cook. But the point of an Event is to involve people. And coin provides a means for that.

I love you GB, but I think you are talking from first hand experience, which discounts everyone elses. Just because you and I might never use Floristry, doesn't mean a Dasari player wouldn't, or a Fale, or even a Tor. Everyone likes different things and come up with different ideas based on different skillsets. I've watched enough people  store nobles to understand that we probably don't want to take rp chances away from them.

If I don't use clayworking, no one can!!!!!!!

Quote from: Gentleboy on May 03, 2022, 06:31:12 PM

honestly,

This

Drawing/writing is high level starting
Alcohol tolerance
Barrier and expel maxed out
Listen (no scan)
Watch
Faster language learning
Haggling
Higher focus points and faster focus Regen
Posioning, to inspect foods
Execute (backstab, except kills 100% of the time, not ever to be used strategically but only when death is an inevitable conclusion)
Torture (must get consent to describe the torture, otherwise it's generic)  lowers HP without triggering combat
Piloting (as a hobby)
Group psi - connects to multiple people and when you psi you can send it to everyone.

-Stoa

Agreed. And maybe GMH family members also. 
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points