How are IC events achieved through breaking game rules handled?

Started by UnderSeven, May 02, 2022, 12:43:32 PM

How does staff handle an event where a player had to break rules to accomplish something? Such as ignoring the npcs in an area?  Like say there was a locked door surrounded by guards, but the guards don't aggro on someone picking a lock, so they just pick it, in plain view.  Or a pc is in a back area with objects they want to interact with, again with guards and the guards arn't auto aggro but clearly would react if they were pcs.

Is a massive loss of value in such cases retconned, like if someone had a metal sword stolen?  What about if characters dies in such a fashion? 

From a player trying to protect their in game stuff do they have to consider the possibility of ooc abuse because retconning is not an option or is it up for consideration in some cases?

Thankfully this type of incident is pretty rare, but on those rare occasions that require it, we tend to judge each case by its own merits.  If it is completely unrealistic and there was no communication with staff, then we would have to judge how badly it would impact the people who were associated that would have to get hit with the retcon stick.

Like I said though, it is rather rare.  Most players are very respectful about communicating, and we don't often see this sort of thing.
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill