IDEA: Elf racial ability 'march'

Started by MeTekillot, April 18, 2022, 11:04:35 AM

In the spirit of elven pride in running and their immensely tribal psychology, I propose an idea:

When in a 'follow' train of clan members and/or other elves, every room the elf should have a steadily increasing chance per number of elves and clan members in the 'follow' train to recover 5-10% of their stamina per room moved.

Additionally, I think they should get a 'march force' ability to spend focus points to auto-succeed this ability, as they summon their obsessive pride in running as a nearly physical force. Doing this should temporarily lower max focus, similar to how some poisons temporarily lower max HP.

it's not a horrible idea but is it needed?

Can't they already walk form Allanak to Luirs with just 1 rest stop?

I think the point of not giving c.elves run, is because they would be to strong balance wise. At least I swear this is what staff used to say back in the day.

This is why d.elves are karma 1.

Personally, I say just make all elves karma 1. and the same wherever they are.

We wont lose elf players, and might even gain a few.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Fredd on April 18, 2022, 11:47:08 AM

They can if they're okay getting dangerously low in stamina points and being unable to run from an attack.

A better question is why are city-elves walking and/or running in the desert anyway? They're city-elves. They've taken city and walls and roads as their Favored Terrain. Byn elves will, on occasion, be brought on contracts but thats because people are trying to give them the ability to still go on contracts.

Regardless, there's got to be some thought as to why a city elf would be losing enough stamina that they'd need to 'regain' some like this.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I think that for desert elves that might be a cool idea. They follow the path of those in front of them, using their footing. Even a sense of pride and pushing past what others might otherwise be incapable of. Having spent some time walking over dunes many years ago, I can attest that following behind someone else makes it much easier. We would even take turns leading because of the difference that it made. But that said, I don't think that it should be applicable to city elves. I already think that city elves running through a crowded city is just silly. I could have swore there was actually a help file someplace that gave justified them not being runners because of all of the time spent in the city, but I can't seem to track it down - maybe it was over at the old.site. But, I digress!

Neat idea, but only for d-elves imo. Rock on.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

Quote from: Riev on April 18, 2022, 01:50:33 PM
Quote from: Fredd on April 18, 2022, 11:47:08 AM

They can if they're okay getting dangerously low in stamina points and being unable to run from an attack.

A better question is why are city-elves walking and/or running in the desert anyway? They're city-elves. They've taken city and walls and roads as their Favored Terrain. Byn elves will, on occasion, be brought on contracts but thats because people are trying to give them the ability to still go on contracts.

Regardless, there's got to be some thought as to why a city elf would be losing enough stamina that they'd need to 'regain' some like this.

Bolded because, once again, Riev applies the percussion tool to the head of the post-form stabilizer.

City elves are city elves are city elves.  There should be limited reasons they are going outside.  If you're playing a city elf and you're spending less than 50% of time in your HOME CITY or you're spending more than 25% of your time OUTSIDE OF CIVILIZATION then you have missed a very important part of the racial term.

The city in city elves is not a polite suggestion, much like the desert in desert elves.  Please do pay attention to them.  Thanks!

(Also, the common sense idea is neat, however, the only real thing city elves should be doing when walking behind a bunch of humans is mentally bitching at themselves about their life decisions and also internally whining about how bullshit and slow these soft ass roundears are.)
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

Quote from: Shalooonsh on May 29, 2022, 11:22:20 AM
(Also, the common sense idea is neat, however, the only real thing city elves should be doing when walking behind a bunch of humans is mentally bitching at themselves about their life decisions and also internally whining about how bullshit and slow these soft ass roundears are.)

I disagree with Shalooonsh.  Publicly.  The only real thing city elves should be doing when walking behind a bunch of humans is snaking their hand forwards to snatch something.

I agree. Humans being soft and slow compared to elves is the entire point of this idea.

As someone who played an 'elf' in a Delf tribe without desert run,

it's possible and manageable. It is not ideal, but, I've done it and I played it without giving up. There are some things that help, but, it is a burdenous (this word is not real) task. And you will slow your pack/mates/pals/brudders down.

Sorry to get off the main topic. I just want everyone to know that there is a really rewarding feeling that comes with playing something at a disadvantage. Especially with the elven mindset. It's a really tasty foil between pride and reality.

May 30, 2022, 11:13:26 AM #9 Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 11:15:31 AM by LindseyBalboa
Quote from: Brokkr on May 29, 2022, 07:16:44 PM

I disagree with Shalooonsh.  Publicly.  The only real thing city elves should be doing when walking behind a bunch of humans is snaking their hand forwards to snatch something.

I know this will get me banned forever but it's just a risk I'll have to take: staff is wrong.

Elves should never be walking like a chump. Sneaking or running only.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Quote from: LindseyBalboa on May 30, 2022, 11:13:26 AM
Quote from: Brokkr on May 29, 2022, 07:16:44 PM

I know this will get me banned forever but it's just a risk I'll have to take: staff is wrong.

Elves should never be walking like a chump. Sneaking or running only.
This. In the circumstance where they are outside for any reason, they should be running/sneaking as its just thematic for them to be doing so. Just not as effective as a desert-adapted elf and better than a human.

Elves are elves and have their claimed territory. For some elves who are city dwellers that claimed territory involves a bit of scrab and a bit of dunes. For some its never leaving the city because thats viewed as utter insanity and risky. Theyre both valid but the city elf shouldnt be walking in those dunes!