Let's Make some Beast Talkers.

Started by Fredd, April 08, 2022, 12:36:20 PM

April 08, 2022, 12:36:20 PM Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 12:40:03 PM by Fredd
So, not to long ago I came up with idea for a new Psion class. At first it was a joke, but after thinking about it, and talking it over with some people, I really like this idea.
So I'm trying to shore up some support to petition staff to throw it on the docket to be made. I've spoke with a player or two that likes Psions and they agree that the class sounds like a lot of fun.

I'm picturing it as Karma 2, but making it the same as the other Psionist's would also make sense. Without the ability to effect humans, you take a fair amount of the utility from the class. It seems like they would be about as strong as your karma 2 mages, who tend to have ways to murderize you fairly quicker then calling a beetle.

All animals on Zlanathas are already Psionic in some way shape or form. You can try to connect to animal minds but they are to foreign. So the code base should already be mostly there., it would need some tweaking, i'm sure. But I don't think they need to completely recode psionics for this class to work.

Powers: no or very limited ability to effect humanoids with psionics (aka, humans, elves, h.elves, dwarves,muls, and Mantis)

The ability to call, and control animals. Including the ability to use the "Command" command on them to guard, follow, emote, ect.

The ability to take over and control animals like rats remotely (This is what I'm picturing the bread and butter ability to be)

The Ability to project senses into animals remotely.

Whatever else the staff want to add. There's a whole host of "Animal Companion" tropes ripe for the picking.

Pros: This looks like a lot of fun, and it is a hole in the game that could use filling.

You could have an Ankheg, and name him Fluffy. (just don't lose control, or fluffy will be hungry)

Cons: Someone's gonna fill animal holes, likely day 1.

I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Fredd on April 08, 2022, 12:36:20 PM
All animals on Zlanathas are already Psionic in some way shape or form.

That's actually not the case.  In Dark Sun that might be true, but on Zalanthas most animals are just basic animals, nothing psionic about them.

that said....

https://youtu.be/XYvILyXjSaY
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

From the help files:

The Way                                                       (Communication)

The Way, or the Way of the Mind, is the name commonly given to the use
of psionic (mental) powers on Zalanthas. Over several aeons, every living
thing in the world has developed some use of psionics.
While the use of
the Way is not simple (it makes demands on one's consciousness, as measured
by your character's focus points), every character is able to make use of
it. Only psionicists, however, can truly claim to have mastered the Way.

See also:
   Psionicists, Psionics, Focus Points, Roleplay with Psionicists

Delay:
   after

Quote from: Halaster on April 08, 2022, 04:45:30 PM
Quote from: Fredd on April 08, 2022, 12:36:20 PM
All animals on Zlanathas are already Psionic in some way shape or form.

That's actually not the case.  In Dark Sun that might be true, but on Zalanthas most animals are just basic animals, nothing psionic about them.

that said....

https://youtu.be/XYvILyXjSaY

Yes! Gimme my beastmaster!
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Fragmented on April 08, 2022, 07:17:45 PM
From the help files:

The Way                                                       (Communication)

The Way, or the Way of the Mind, is the name commonly given to the use
of psionic (mental) powers on Zalanthas. Over several aeons, every living
thing in the world has developed some use of psionics.
While the use of
the Way is not simple (it makes demands on one's consciousness, as measured
by your character's focus points), every character is able to make use of
it. Only psionicists, however, can truly claim to have mastered the Way.

See also:
   Psionicists, Psionics, Focus Points, Roleplay with Psionicists

Delay:
   after

Hunh, well I guess I'm wrong then.

"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Okay. This is all well and fun with like... kagor.

But a Mekillot? Breaking down walls? Do you get a penalty if the animal is slayed?

Fredd, I love you, but I really feel like this idea is just fun and won't add anything to the game but headaches and boring typical "defiler" plots. Destroy for the sake of it.

Maybe if it was a tribal role and they had customs/inner laws?

Quote from: Gentleboy on April 08, 2022, 11:02:05 PM
Okay. This is all well and fun with like... kagor.

But a Mekillot? Breaking down walls? Do you get a penalty if the animal is slayed?

Fredd, I love you, but I really feel like this idea is just fun and won't add anything to the game but headaches and boring typical "defiler" plots. Destroy for the sake of it.

Maybe if it was a tribal role and they had customs/inner laws?
Or just put coded limitations on it. Maybe the moon isn't in the right cycle to control a Mek, or an Ankheg, or maybe those species naturally developed psychic immunities

Oh, or human sacrifices need to be made. I always wish we had that for powerful stuff.

April 08, 2022, 11:28:54 PM #8 Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 11:37:10 PM by Fredd
Quote from: Gentleboy on April 08, 2022, 11:22:53 PM
Oh, or human sacrifices need to be made. I always wish we had that for powerful stuff.

Honestly, I could see them taming a Mek, but it's somehting that requires a plot Maybe they are resistant, but over time, you could befriend it. This would limit ye-old mek-to-the-gates antagonist attacks, and make it much more personal.

I am also all for some sort of penalty if a befriended animal dies. Not a puppet (an animal the BT takes over, like a rat in a city, or a random raptor to run around the Red in) But the animal tha t follows them around and can command like nobles and templars do guards.

And also there should likely be some kind of limit to how many animals you can have charmed. Like, Masters having 3. (Beast Master! Gimme my attack ferrets!)

edit: In theory they could have a regenerating 'karma' that lets them befrind animals with. it builds up over time, and different animals can have different values. Using it all on a mek, means you have to regent hat much 'animal charm' which could take an IC year if staff wanted to.

I really like this idea of a psion guild/subguild. It'd be a pretty unique flavor to add to the game, imo, and could be very fun. (And terrifying to encounter randomly in the wilds! XD) A good way to limit the power of what is tamed could go hand in hand with monster power/hit dice/whatever Arm uses, and the skill of the user. A few ideas that popped into my head would be:

Skill Beast Link/Subjugation/Domination/etc.: Allows one to connect to the mind of a beast and subjugate it.

-Lesser skill level allows the weakest creatures to roll saves periodically. Higher skill level can eventually negate saves of lesser creatures. More powerful, or intelligent beasts can seem impossible to subjugate, with some having rolls to break free every round, regardless of skill level.

-Connecting to a beast forms a strong impression upon it, and upon breaking free or being released, may become enraged, focusing blindly on destroying the invader of its will.

-Contact might be required to be maintained at <novice>, not only making it difficult to keep hold of a beast, but also losing control if attacked directly. Beyond novice, contact can be dropped as the beast becomes more like an npc bodyguard until subjugation fails via save rolls or death.

-This skill is simply to take control of a beast's mind and exert the will of the Beast Master/Talker/Speaker/(Whisperer?). Individual controls are a different skill...

-Feeding a beast every so often can ease control issues between it and the caster.

-Formerly controlled beasts may have a bonus/penalty to further attempts, based on the amount of danger/wounds/feeding it faced before breaking control/being set free.

-If a beast dies while under link with the caster, caster may take X stun damage based on overkill damage from the killing blow.

-Taming a creature above the limits of what one can tame will automatically unbind one of the current beasts (newest tame, oldest tame, random?) and force a roll of the unbind skill, or just a straight attack on the caster.

Skill Beast Command/Control: Allows one to issue commands, potentially lethal ones, to a subjugated beast.

-Allows a Beast X'er to issue commands such as kill, kick, bash, emote, etc to a controlled beast. "Title" should be used to not confuse your army of gortoks!

-Commands that could endanger a subjugated beast may be cause for a save roll, depending on beast type/ferocity/cowardice/intelligence. Ordering a jozhal to attack a mekillot might not happen so easily. Higher levels of skill can lessen/negate these rolls with creatures of certain power levels.

-Having a beast follow the caster into foreign areas could force a roll in which the beast refuses to follow further. Taking a scrab into Allanak, for example. Scrab would likely be subject to angry guards as if it weren't under control. Caster may be subject to angry guards that want to know how someone is controlling wild beasties in the first place.

Skill Beast Unbind: This skill allows one to release control over a beast in a manner that avoids backlash from the creature.

-"Unbind X" - Relinquishes subjugation of a beast. Based on the skill of the user and the strength/intellect of the creature, this could generate a peaceful uncoupling, or a violent backlash.

-A successful roll might see the beast wander off/flee a random direction for 3 to X rooms away from the caster.

-A failed roll might see the now-free beast turn and attack the caster blindly until one is dead. Stronger/smarter creatures are more likely to understand what happened to them, and attack.

-Unbinding a creature engaged in combat may result in heavy stun damage to the caster, or the beast automatically turning on the caster and ignoring its current foe for leading it into this situation. Maybe both?

Skill Pacify Beast: This skills allows one to turn a beast docile to them, and at greater skill levels, those in the immediate vicinity/room.

-An aggressive creature will cease combat actions on the caster if the skill is successful. For X turns/minutes/hours, it will not attack, unless attacked by the caster.

-Every turn in the vicinity of the pacified creature will give it a bonus to break the pacification. It isn't your friend, it's just being told by a little bug that you're not a current danger.

-For X amount of time, a pacified creature cannot be re-pacified. Attack - pacify - attack - pacify - attack.... is not a valid combat strategy.

-The above is universal. Four Beast Dudes taking turns pacifying a mekillot every other round is not happening. One pacify per X amount of time.

-At higher levels of skill, and depending upon creature power/intelligence, the caster's pacify could have a larger effect, turning the beast docile to some/all in the area.

Perhaps components can be required for creatures of a certain strength as well. Wanting to control a Mek long enough to run over that Salarri argosy is going to require a Mek tooth to hocus pocus control over one.

Stun/Focus drain for control could be an issue as well, compounding with each extra beast under control. At higher levels of skill, a single beast might not drain anything, but when you have multiple of them at once, it can be taxing, and compounded by things such as psi/barrier/etc.

No buffing beasts based on caster skill/stats, etc. Don't need a Beast Dudette with AI strength turning a jozhal into The Mountain. What you tame is what you get.

I, for one, already have my character written up!

Quote from: Dune Bunny on April 10, 2022, 11:39:47 AM
I really like this idea of a psion guild/subguild. It'd be a pretty unique flavor to add to the game, imo, and could be very fun. (And terrifying to encounter randomly in the wilds! XD) A good way to limit the power of what is tamed could go hand in hand with monster power/hit dice/whatever Arm uses, and the skill of the user. A few ideas that popped into my head would be:

Skill Beast Link/Subjugation/Domination/etc.: Allows one to connect to the mind of a beast and subjugate it.

-Lesser skill level allows the weakest creatures to roll saves periodically. Higher skill level can eventually negate saves of lesser creatures. More powerful, or intelligent beasts can seem impossible to subjugate, with some having rolls to break free every round, regardless of skill level.

-Connecting to a beast forms a strong impression upon it, and upon breaking free or being released, may become enraged, focusing blindly on destroying the invader of its will.

-Contact might be required to be maintained at <novice>, not only making it difficult to keep hold of a beast, but also losing control if attacked directly. Beyond novice, contact can be dropped as the beast becomes more like an npc bodyguard until subjugation fails via save rolls or death.

-This skill is simply to take control of a beast's mind and exert the will of the Beast Master/Talker/Speaker/(Whisperer?). Individual controls are a different skill...

-Feeding a beast every so often can ease control issues between it and the caster.

-Formerly controlled beasts may have a bonus/penalty to further attempts, based on the amount of danger/wounds/feeding it faced before breaking control/being set free.

-If a beast dies while under link with the caster, caster may take X stun damage based on overkill damage from the killing blow.

-Taming a creature above the limits of what one can tame will automatically unbind one of the current beasts (newest tame, oldest tame, random?) and force a roll of the unbind skill, or just a straight attack on the caster.

Skill Beast Command/Control: Allows one to issue commands, potentially lethal ones, to a subjugated beast.

-Allows a Beast X'er to issue commands such as kill, kick, bash, emote, etc to a controlled beast. "Title" should be used to not confuse your army of gortoks!

-Commands that could endanger a subjugated beast may be cause for a save roll, depending on beast type/ferocity/cowardice/intelligence. Ordering a jozhal to attack a mekillot might not happen so easily. Higher levels of skill can lessen/negate these rolls with creatures of certain power levels.

-Having a beast follow the caster into foreign areas could force a roll in which the beast refuses to follow further. Taking a scrab into Allanak, for example. Scrab would likely be subject to angry guards as if it weren't under control. Caster may be subject to angry guards that want to know how someone is controlling wild beasties in the first place.

Skill Beast Unbind: This skill allows one to release control over a beast in a manner that avoids backlash from the creature.

-"Unbind X" - Relinquishes subjugation of a beast. Based on the skill of the user and the strength/intellect of the creature, this could generate a peaceful uncoupling, or a violent backlash.

-A successful roll might see the beast wander off/flee a random direction for 3 to X rooms away from the caster.

-A failed roll might see the now-free beast turn and attack the caster blindly until one is dead. Stronger/smarter creatures are more likely to understand what happened to them, and attack.

-Unbinding a creature engaged in combat may result in heavy stun damage to the caster, or the beast automatically turning on the caster and ignoring its current foe for leading it into this situation. Maybe both?

Skill Pacify Beast: This skills allows one to turn a beast docile to them, and at greater skill levels, those in the immediate vicinity/room.

-An aggressive creature will cease combat actions on the caster if the skill is successful. For X turns/minutes/hours, it will not attack, unless attacked by the caster.

-Every turn in the vicinity of the pacified creature will give it a bonus to break the pacification. It isn't your friend, it's just being told by a little bug that you're not a current danger.

-For X amount of time, a pacified creature cannot be re-pacified. Attack - pacify - attack - pacify - attack.... is not a valid combat strategy.

-The above is universal. Four Beast Dudes taking turns pacifying a mekillot every other round is not happening. One pacify per X amount of time.

-At higher levels of skill, and depending upon creature power/intelligence, the caster's pacify could have a larger effect, turning the beast docile to some/all in the area.

Perhaps components can be required for creatures of a certain strength as well. Wanting to control a Mek long enough to run over that Salarri argosy is going to require a Mek tooth to hocus pocus control over one.

Stun/Focus drain for control could be an issue as well, compounding with each extra beast under control. At higher levels of skill, a single beast might not drain anything, but when you have multiple of them at once, it can be taxing, and compounded by things such as psi/barrier/etc.

No buffing beasts based on caster skill/stats, etc. Don't need a Beast Dudette with AI strength turning a jozhal into The Mountain. What you tame is what you get.

I, for one, already have my character written up!

I really like your ideas.

And I agree, there is enough strength in controlling animals that buffing them can cause issues. So any buffs would have to be very carefully looked over for exploiting. An unkillable Mekillot sounds like fun, until it's rampaging in one of the nobles quarters.

I would just to see things like rats, jozhals sneaky beast do random steals.  A jozhal sneaks into your foraging area and steals your dried beetle meat and waterskin before bolting off!
Just having fun.

Quote from: Wday on April 18, 2022, 11:02:28 AM
I would just to see things like rats, jozhals sneaky beast do random steals.  A jozhal sneaks into your foraging area and steals your dried beetle meat and waterskin before bolting off!

This would be pretty neat! But I think that requires recoding animals. So likely a touch beyond what staff would be willing to do.

It would be really cool if different animals had different skills.

order a raptor to hunt, and it point sit's snout the direction of footsteps, ect.