The Way and Movement

Started by Tamarin, November 20, 2003, 12:28:16 PM

I discovered this while trying to contact various people and walking around.  If you are in contact with someone, and you type a directional command, you are unable to hold the link and it is severed.  -However-, if you are -following- someone, the link can be and is maintained.  Does this make sense to anyone?  Why would the mental strain of following someone be any different than moving around yourself?  Doesn't make sense to me.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

I'd bug it since it seems it was probably just an oversight.  Walking is walking.

That's what I figured.  Also regarding contact, which I forgot to mention, was sometimes when I contact someone and am standing (I think that's the circumstance), my max stun drops ten points until I break contact.  Anyone else have this problem?

Quote from: "uberjazz"That's what I figured.  Also regarding contact, which I forgot to mention, was sometimes when I contact someone and am standing (I think that's the circumstance), my max stun drops ten points until I break contact.  Anyone else have this problem?

I don't think that's a problem, my max stun almost always drops, the amount varies from PC to PC.  I figure its the overhead for keeping the connection up.

I see.  I guess I never noticed it before.

You know...the whole max stun thing?  I'd never noticed it with any previous character of mine...and with my current, it only happens when starving.  If not starving, no drop in stun.  I think you're all on crack or something.

Edit: I just realized that this was partly derailment...so I'll add my comments to the original post.  For me, I view it as the following:  If you're following someone, you're getting lead around...you don't need to pay attention to much besides the back in front of you or the hand holding yours as you are lead along.  If you are the one typing the commands, your character is proactively moving themself and thus need to pay attention to where they are going so that they don't walk into a wall, half-giant or mekillot's stink rump.  I think it's fine the way it is.  It may be an oversight...I'd send an email to the mud account to see if it was intended to be the way it is, if it wasn't but will be left alone or if it was an oversight that should be corrected.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

No no....its smack for me.

I would think that this is a bug, and even if it isn't, should probably be considered for change.

We've probably all been in the position of being led by someone faster than us, such that the mv lag makes it impossible to enter any commands while following.  Passing out in the street because you got into that situation and couldn't "break" would suck.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I'm pretty sure I bugged this a fair while ago (over a month ago, most likely several months ago) and it hasn't been fixed. So I'd cautiously consider it isn't a bug, that or it's a difficult bug to fix ;)

This is a known bug, and will be addressed at some point. It doesn't seem like a huge one to me, however, so I'm wondering if I am failing to understand something about its implications. Is there some compelling reason why this fix should be made higher priority?

Quote from: "crymerci"
We've probably all been in the position of being led by someone faster than us, such that the mv lag makes it impossible to enter any commands while following.

Nope, I've never had a problem with "follow self".  Sometimes it takes a couple rooms to kick in, but the command seems to execute before the lag accumulated after the command takes effect.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Sanvean"This is a known bug, and will be addressed at some point. It doesn't seem like a huge one to me, however, so I'm wondering if I am failing to understand something about its implications. Is there some compelling reason why this fix should be made higher priority?

I think two things have been discussed as possibly being bugs.   Contact not 'breaking' when someone you are following moves, and establishing a connection over the way dropping your max stun.

Are both bugs?  I've always assumed a loss of max stun was intentional.

Quote from: "CRW"..Contact not 'breaking' when someone you are following moves..
I'd always thought this was by design, at least after I found it.  There are a couple of corollary game 'repercussions' that are loosely affiliated, but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader to discover.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

I tend to agree with Lazloth.  I always considered it a "feature."

I mean, if, when following someone, you can be be led right off a cliff because you are paying so little attention to anything but the back of your leader's skull, it made sense to me to be able to use that freed-up attention on maintaining a mental conversation.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

QuoteI think two things have been discussed as possibly being bugs. Contact not 'breaking' when someone you are following moves, and establishing a connection over the way dropping your max stun.

Your max stun is intended to drop, yes. That is by design, and not a bug.

Quote from: "Sanvean"It doesn't seem like a huge one to me, however, so I'm wondering if I am failing to understand something about its implications. Is there some compelling reason why this fix should be made higher priority?
I don't know what else is getting coded so I have no idea how important it is compared to other things that are being coded, but it can be fairly easy to abuse. Such as if someone is getting attacked by gith and are a fair way outside the city while fleeing, all it takes is to "contact so and so" while following to get help.

If people don't abuse it it isn't important of course :)

I don't think it is a big deal.  In order to be following you have to be standing.  If you are standing then you are going to burn through all your stun points pretty quickly, most people prefer to sit or rest while using the way.  You'd have to be lucky to get off a successful contact and then psi a message while standing.  Chances are if you were trying to use the way you would be sitting or resting, so your attempts at following would fail and you'd be left alone and unhitched.  

Attempting to use the way while you are under attack or in imminent danger of attack is foolish.  Even a single glancing blow to the head may be enough to make you pass out if you are burning stun points on psychic abilities.

I don't see the problem.  Then again, I wouldn't see a problem with letting people walk around while in contact when they aren't following.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins