Character Novel Quotes & Blurbs

Started by sucre, February 15, 2022, 09:21:21 PM

Hey, we have one for theme songs, so why not this?

(From The Year of the Flood, by Margaret Atwood.)

Not precisely applicable, but the useless thing, chef's kiss, hilarious.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
There is no room for doubt in power. -TJA, 5/20/22

Most Jack Vance novels and quotes fit for me in Zalanthas -- (My sig is one of them)

"What are your fees?" inquired Guyal cautiously. "I respond to three questions," stated the augur. "For twenty terces I phrase the answer in clear and actionable language; for ten I use the language of cant, which occasionally admits of ambiguity; for five, I speak a parable which you must interpret as you will; and for one terce, I babble in an unknown tongue."
― Jack Vance, Tales of the Dying Earth

"What exists is real; therefore it is tragic, since whatever lives must die. Only fantasy, the vapors rising from sheer nonsense, can now excite my laughter."
― Jack Vance, The Green Pearl

"You are young; you have hopes. One by one they will go, and nothing will be left but the bare fact of life."
― Jack Vance, Durdane

"Nothing is more conspicuous than a farting princess."
― Jack Vance, Suldrun's Garden

"What is an evil man? The man is evil who coerces obedience to his private ends, destroys beauty, produces pain, extinguishes life."
― Jack Vance

"I can resolve your perplexity,' said Fianosther. 'Your booth occupies the site of the old gibbet, and has absorbed unlucky essences. But I thought to notice you examining the manner in which the timbers of my booth are joined. You will obtain a better view from within, but first I must shorten the chain of the captive erb which roams the premises during the night.'

'No need,' said Cugel. 'My interest was cursory."
― Jack Vance, The Eyes of the Overworld

"What great minds lie in the dust," said Guyal in a low voice. "What gorgeous souls have vanished into the buried ages; what marvellous creatures are lost past the remotest memory ... Nevermore will there be the like; now in the last fleeting moments, humanity festers rich as rotten fruit. Rather than master and overpower our world, our highest aim is to cheat it through sorcery."
― Jack Vance, Mazirian the Magician

"How I hate you," he said softly. "If hate were stone I could build a tower into the clouds."
― Jack Vance, The Gray Prince
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

"The earth is mostly just a boneyard. But pretty in the sunlight."

"Call saw that everyone was looking at him, the hands and cowboys and townspeople alike. The anger had drained out of him, leaving him feeling tired. He didn't remember the fight, particularly, but people were looking at him as if they were stunned. He felt he should make some explanation, though it seemed to him a simple situation. "I hate a man that talks rude," he said. "I won't tolerate it.""

- Lonesome Dove
Though this world is made of fearsome beasts that bark and bite
We were born to put these creatures through one hell of a fight

"I assume I need no introduction?"

- Lestat from Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice

I changed this to "I presume I need no introduction?" when contacting people for the first time with a notorious mul silt skimmer captain. I always thought of it as an incredible opening line for the truly infamous.
"Let sleeping characters sleep naked." -Azroen

Stop bragging, Will! We all love you.  ;D

Here's another one from the book I quoted above:

Quote from: The Gruffalo on February 16, 2022, 04:01:29 AM
"I hate a man that talks rude," he said. "I won't tolerate it."

Gorgeous. That's some character inspiration right there.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on February 16, 2022, 06:15:19 PM
Quote from: The Gruffalo on February 16, 2022, 04:01:29 AM
"I hate a man that talks rude," he said. "I won't tolerate it."

Gorgeous. That's some character inspiration right there.

Best Templar.

"Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird,
That cannot fly."

Langston Hughes
Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fiiiiiine.

"The unwritten law of all armies, Captain. The lower ranks have the privilege of questioning the sanity and competence of their commanders.  It's the mortar holding an army together."

- From The Black Company by Glen Cook

"But the best of times were spent with his hero.

There were usually apprentices in the house, friendly, but too busy to take much notice of the little foundling in the kitchen. Except for one. A decade older than Ducket, with curly hair, brown eyes, a devil-may-care attitude coupled with a friendly charm, to the boy he seemed a god. The younger son of a rich old gentry family from the West Country, his father had sent him to join the merchant elite of London. As the cook would say with approval: "There's a real young gentleman." But Richard Whittington was still an apprentice.

[...]

Whittington liked little Ducket. The foundling had such a cheerful spirit that the apprentice often played with him. He taught him how to wrestle and box and soon discovered something else: "no matter how often he goes down, he gets back up again," he said approvingly. "He never gives up.""

- London, by Edward Rutherfurd
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki

Veni, vidi, vici.
-Attributed to Gaius Julius Caesar
Halaster — Today at 10:29 AM
I hate to say this
[10:29 AM]
I'll be quoted
[10:29 AM]
but Hestia is right

Quote from: Hestia on March 17, 2022, 09:27:11 AM
Veni, vidi, vici.

I believe his quote most related to Armageddon comes from 'Asterix in Britain' and is:

Make a note. I came, I saw, I don't believe my eyes. I asked for order with strict discipline!

- Gaius Julius Caeser (Also Templar Malenthis Jal the Red during the opening of the Copper War)
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Veni, vidi, vici.

Amusingly, this would be pronounced, "wenny, weedy, weaky," according to what we know about Latin pronunciation.

😅 I might have participated in a Latin festival as a youth. It makes the words strike a lot less potently to hear them pronounced accurately.

Quote from: sucre on March 17, 2022, 07:51:21 PM
Veni, vidi, vici.

Amusingly, this would be pronounced, "wenny, weedy, weaky," according to what we know about Latin pronunciation.

😅 I might have participated in a Latin festival as a youth. It makes the words strike a lot less potently to hear them pronounced accurately.

Are you telling me the Biggus Dickus guy is the only character to serve as an accurate example of Latin? Goddamn.

"That is what I do Lady," he said slowly. "That is why I am."
-Ingtar

I've used this quote directly when playing dwarves before.
3/21/16 Never Forget

I have to offer up one of the classics.

>A halfling with yellow facepaint enters from the west.
>A halfling with yellow facepaint says in an unfamiliar tongue, panicked and screaming, running past: "Aiy! Gha ulghla xhy untara!"
>A halfling with yellow facepaint runs east.
>You think: what the fuck?
>Turning with an apprehensive smile to the ----------- man, you say in sirihish, "What the fuck does gha ulghla xhy untara mean?"
>A wall of water enters from the west.

(All credit to "5 day lifespan")

Quote from: Hauwke on March 18, 2022, 04:19:27 PM
Quote from: sucre on March 17, 2022, 07:51:21 PM
Veni, vidi, vici.

Are you telling me the Biggus Dickus guy is the only character to serve as an accurate example of Latin? Goddamn.

No. Mostly I just meant that v was pronounced as 'wuh', and there were no soft c or ch sounds. :D

Here are some fun ones for when I do my bi-annual read to cry over Song of Achilles:

"And perhaps it is the greater grief, after all, to be left on earth when another is gone."
"I am made of memories."
"There are no bargains between lion and men. I will kill you and eat you raw."

all are from Madeline Miller's genius.

"You speak as if I pulled some invisible strings. No, you couldn't be further from the truth, child. I simply whispered to the darkness you already held inside."

"It was one of those moments in which I become very uncomfortable. One of those times when nothing you say can be right, and almost anything you do say is wrong. I could see no answer but the classic Croaker approach.
I began to back away.
That is how I handle my women. Duck for cover when they get distressed.
I almost made it to the door.
She could move when she wanted. She crossed the gap and put her arms around me, rested a cheek against my chest.
And that is how they handle me, the sentimental fool. The closet romantic."