nomount climb hot take

Started by Lotion, February 07, 2022, 01:47:46 PM

There's a lot of climbing rooms tagged as nomount where a mount cannot enter them no matter what. This sucks!

Reasons why climb rooms should almost NEVER be tagged nomount:
* there are certain mounts that are good at climbing such as sunbacks which can be bought in many places
* mounts that suck at climbing are still going to suck at climbing
* mounts under the effects of various magickal spells should be able to go up a cliff, but a lot of them are tagged as nomount
* some mounts can fly and yet these nomount rooms are too powerful for even them

Now for some PURE SPECULATION:
Long ago, perhaps mounts were not meant to be able to climb and so staff build in these random nomount climbing rooms... but since then there are now mounts which are good at climbing and so there are some climbing rooms where mounts are allowed. Because the MUD is really big and due to staff oversight and also a general historic resistance to change which is slowly fading over the past few years nobody ever changed the old noclimb rooms. And now I can get into a situation where I climb up a mountain with my mount and then going down another part of the mountain I run into a nomount climb room and completely lose my immersion of a cool mountain exploring character and figure out how to deal with this weird ooc code thing blocking my way and it sucks.

Maybe somebody staffside could just do a quick sanity check on rooms that are NOMOUNT && !INDOOR?

I know there are some longstanding traditional ones outside of the fly/climb scenario, but maybe even those should be reconsidered. (Why not let people ride in the rinth? Or through canyon #567, etc.)

(Obviously riding in the rinth should cause your mount to throw you as it is eaten alive by a swarm of feral children.)
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on February 07, 2022, 03:22:44 PM
(Obviously riding in the rinth should cause your mount to throw you as it is eaten alive by a swarm of feral children.)

The lack of giant, tamable, mountable rats in the 'rinth is exceedingly disappointing.

Quote from: roughneck on February 08, 2022, 08:40:13 AM
The lack of giant, tamable, mountable rats in the 'rinth is exceedingly disappointing.

In the narrows, RoUS tame you!

After that useless interruption please continue.

Quote from: roughneck on February 08, 2022, 08:40:13 AM
Quote from: Brytta Léofa on February 07, 2022, 03:22:44 PM

if you play the right dwarf well enough anything is possible