Uncontrolled Manifestations

Started by MeTekillot, January 10, 2022, 05:59:36 PM

January 10, 2022, 05:59:36 PM Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 06:01:10 PM by MeTekillot
I wanted to spitball the idea of Elementalist characters who are manifested should have certain actions cause them to roll a chance to manifest an aspect of their Element.

When wounded for more than 30% of their hp or stun, or when wounded while at <50% hp
When hit with backstab/sap and not killed outright
When shifting consciousness (dumbstruck to lucid, unconscious to conscious, and vice versa)
When attempting to flee with insufficient stamina (PANIC!)
When starving or dehydration takes them below 50% health
Entering combat while under the influence of enough certain types of spice

This should happen regardless of their wielded weapons or location. Magickers with more control over their Element would be less likely to manifest accidentally.

"Everybody knows you starve 'gicks to suss 'em out. And if they're not a 'gick, they die instead of doing some 'gick shit! Foolproof!"

In a setting where manifesting might actually be beneficial (IE: "My magic awakens and I do a big fire attack and live!") I'd be down for it.

As is you're getting shit on by the game that already shits on you, but I suppose it would help bring to the front the 800 mages we already have running around.

I'd rather it be any mage 'cantrips' when these things happen, not just a manifestation.

Nice idea, I like it and any iteration of it.

manifesting during ERP is getting old
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

Quote from: triste on January 11, 2022, 08:34:32 AM
Nice idea, I like it and any iteration of it.

manifesting during ERP is getting old

I swear to god it's always the water mages...

Not really a fan of it.

Most magickers already have enough ways to die quickly/early on if they are using their spells on a regular basis.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: Dan on January 11, 2022, 03:30:20 PM
Not really a fan of it.

Most magickers already have enough ways to die quickly/early on if they are using their spells on a regular basis.

That's kind of where I am.
On one hand I think it's a neat idea and for lore I'd support it, people generally manifest when stressed (At least I feel probably 60% of my magickers have, with 20% having just been 'magic always cause fuck why not'), but it doesn't seem fun to be forced into manifesting.

The general approach taken these days is that players are in control of how/when their character manifests, unless they specifically ask staff to manifest them randomly.  I would not be in favor of an automated way to force them on the character.  Cool idea, but it's not aligned with our stance of letting players decide.

This is a reminder though, that if you do want your character to randomly manifest out of your control, you can put in a request and ask staff to handle that.  And then see what happens!
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: Halaster on January 12, 2022, 09:10:53 AM

This is a reminder though, that if you do want your character to randomly manifest out of your control, you can put in a request and ask staff to handle that.  And then see what happens!

Precisely what I thought about it. And thanks for saving me a question request :P
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

Totally against this.

Uncontrolled manifestations have a huge potential of leading to a PC being killed, or banished, or just plain being outed in situations/locations and in front of PCs/NPCs they otherwise would not want to reveal themselves to. And that just spoils the fun of a concept/role that the PC might have been specifically created for. Not to mention it also being a Karma burner, if this happens.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Quote from: Incognito on January 13, 2022, 10:59:39 AM
Not to mention it also being a Karma burner, if this happens.

This is a problem with the CGP system

Quote from: Lotion on January 17, 2022, 08:25:27 PM
Quote from: Incognito on January 13, 2022, 10:59:39 AM
Not to mention it also being a Karma burner, if this happens.

This is a problem with the CGP system

Its also a problem if the proposed system
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Dear god, no. If you want to add randomization and danger, set up a table of conditions and dice rolls for yourself.

My last mage never did manifest, though they came within 2 points of doing so once.

I've found a lot of fun and success and plot material in making dice rolls for things that are known to be trigger points for characters. It helps add to the forced randomization that I think is the spirit behind this suggestion but allows the player agency over whether it will truly impact the character arc in a sustainable way. That way, if it's definitely going to end your story and you want it to continue, you can override the dice roll (but I usually don't). This doesn't just apply to magick manifestations, it could apply to things like making pivotal choices in a character's life, or to things like alcoholism.

I usually keep a tab open with https://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm and have pre-determined percentages.