hitch, mount, and mounts

Started by Trenidor, November 17, 2003, 08:19:23 PM

I know this post was started a long time ago, and a great deal of ppl replyed to it, but I want to restart it in hopes of something happening.

Why can't we hitch mounts and have other people ride the mount while someone leads?

-and-

Why can't we pack bodies on top of mounts?
 What if you were a ranger in the desert and come across a man that is dying...you take pitty on him so you pick him up and place him on your kank. Only problem is that you can't because of code limitations. I see no way to RP this out. You could subdue them and carry them with RP, but you'd only get two rooms in the desert before you run out of MVs
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Unless you subdue and ride.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

Yep. You -can- subdue and ride on your mount. I've done it before.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

You've gotta have a pretty strong kank to hold two grown men.... doesn't always work. Only thing I can think of is have a inix, But what ranger rides a inix? :?
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Quote from: "Trenidor"I know this post was started a long time ago, and a great deal of ppl replyed to it, but I want to restart it in hopes of something happening.

Why can't we hitch mounts and have other people ride the mount while someone leads?

I highly doubt that the staff has a fundamental objection with this idea because it is a good one.  I think the only reason why it is not in is because it requires someone to code it.  I imagine it isn't coded because the code would be a lot messier then you imagine.  Instead of working normally you have to get the code to ignore the riding skill of the person being led.  You need to find a way to deal with people jumping onto a mount that isn't theirs and refusing to get off.  It probably is not impossible, but it probably is not a quick little tweak.

Why can't we pack bodies on top of mounts?
 What if you were a ranger in the desert and come across a man that is dying...you take pitty on him so you pick him up and place him on your kank. Only problem is that you can't because of code limitations. I see no way to RP this out. You could subdue them and carry them with RP, but you'd only get two rooms in the desert before you run out of MVs

If corpses can't be packed, I imagine that is something that could be fixed with much less pain.  I would suggest mailing the account with that suggestion.  The worst they can say is no.  As to living people, I believe you can subdue someone and ride off with them.

Corpses are containers, all containers can be packed, including heads and bodies and such.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

I swear I've packed a corpse before, like Lieutenant Dan says.

Quote from: "Dan"Corpses are containers

That's a universal truth... not just Zalanthan

It wouldn't seem to be too hard to make the code ignore the riding skill of the led person, just a boolean and an If wrapped around the skill check...  But I don't know what the code looks like so that may not be viable...
he meek shall inherit the earth, until then, slap 'em down!

I just tested it, and you can, in fact, pack corpses.

As for the rest, I'll put it in the ideas database for some ambitious coder. I personally would like to see mounts that can carry multiple people at once.

Quote from: "Sanvean"I just tested it, and you can, in fact, pack corpses.

How many PCs did you kill to test it? ;)  It's the only way to be thorough, packing an NPC corpse might work differently.

If you haven't tested it on a PC yet, I have some suggestions.  In fact, I think Lazloth would be more than happy to volunteer his PC.

Sanvean wrote:
QuoteI personally would like to see mounts that can carry multiple people at once.

Absolutely.  Emphatically.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

The reason someone can't ride a mount that you've hitched to yourself, is because hitching a mount is coded as an anti-theft solution.

I.e. you are standing in the bazaar with your mount resting, and it is hitched to you. Some thief comes along and wants to steal your kank, but can't as long as you have hold of the reins. If you happen to walk away from your kank, or busy your hands with another mount's reins, then that's when the thief has the opportunity to strike.

This isn't an oversight; it's been coded on purpose, to my understanding.

Besides, why in the world would you want to hitch a mount and have someone ride it as some kind of unique experience, when you can just have the person riding your kank follow you with the follow command? You can't RP holding the reins because you didn't type the word "hitch" in?

Maybe I've misunderstood the original post about having others riding a hitched kank.

The purpose Flaming Ocotillo would be to have someone ride the mount so they don't have to walk while you LEAD the mount. Not to RP leading the mount and have to deal with the nearly unconcious person on the mount or the prissy person that hasn't ever mounted a kank in their life. At least I'm pretty sure thats the idea.

Like you toss someone up onto a horse and lead the horse. Just about anyone can lead a horse, it's alot easier then riding a horse.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Ah, I see.

No one seems to have defined it clearly, but for anyone else who's confused:

The suggested goal is to be able to lead someone on kank so that they don't have to make a ride skill check in each room.

I can definitely see something with this..

Elves don't ride. That's just a fact of life. They're also notorious thieves, and that's another fact of life. But let's say you're a hunter with a kank. And you manage to get yourself unconscious in the desert. An elf who you pay very well to supply you with information finds you half-dead, and after rummaging through your things realizes that all your sids are in the bank.

He's not gonna just steal your kank and your boots. He's gonna want to keep you alive so you can give him lots of coins to thank him for saving your ass, AND so you can continue to do so for all the lies he tells you about that shifty noble you have him watching.

So he's gonna want to put you on that kank. While he's leading it. You're not dead, you're just unconscious, and there's half a dozen gith next door re-loading their crossbows and snickering at the elf.

What to do? If it was me, I'd want to "get human" then "drape human kank" then "hitch kank" then run to safety!

I can think of another half dozen scenarios when it would make sense to be able to be hitched to a kank while someone else is riding it. Maybe someone you know who's a thief, who you're working with, but don't trust. You want to teach him to ride, but you don't want him having full control of the kank. So you have it hitched to you - and follow the thief on top of it. If he tries to run, YOU are holding the reins, the kank chokes, and tosses the thief off his back.

I think the person who is "hitched" to the mount should have control over who gets to ride it, even if it's not himself.

It would be cool if a group of people could beat down a mek, attach a big assed harness to it, and ride it towards a city.  Though, that will probably never happen.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "uberjazz"It would be cool if a group of people could beat down a mek, attach a big assed harness to it, and ride it towards a city.  Though, that will probably never happen.

What we really need are giant hooks which could be used to climb onto a salt worm and expose its segments to the sand, controlling its movements.  And stillsuits, of course.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Quote from: "JollyGreenGiant"
What we really need are giant hooks which could be used to climb onto a salt worm and expose its segments to the sand, controlling its movements.  And stillsuits, of course.

Um.....have you been reading Dune?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]