Premade Characters for Newbies

Started by Dar, December 06, 2021, 02:40:50 AM

Huh. I don't get a warning on Chrome. It's just an example. The description generators tend to be too random for my tastes, though I might tweak one if I want a different look.

If this becomes a thing, I'll happily volunteer to write up a dozen or so premade characters.

Quote from: Yelinak on December 12, 2021, 10:47:50 AM
If this becomes a thing, I'll happily volunteer to write up a dozen or so premade characters.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Veselka on December 10, 2021, 12:16:45 AM
First Time Accounts + First Time PC = Should get a Premade Character Approved and in the game. Make them go to a newbie school. Let them learn the commands.

Since I started staffing if there's a PC in the queue who needs editing, I'll edit it and get it through.  I know I'm not alone as a member of staff and that several others do this as well.

There are a few caveats - I mean if it's a cybernetic cat girl with a lazergun for a foot, that's too much editing and the player doesn't understand.

We have had the discussion about pre-gens before, and the talk will likely come up again.  It's not that we lack the creativity to get twenty or more pre-gens together, it's that it would require a system overhaul in some regards.
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

Quote from: Shalooonsh on December 12, 2021, 01:42:52 PM
Quote from: Veselka on December 10, 2021, 12:16:45 AM
First Time Accounts + First Time PC = Should get a Premade Character Approved and in the game. Make them go to a newbie school. Let them learn the commands.

We have had the discussion about pre-gens before, and the talk will likely come up again.  It's not that we lack the creativity to get twenty or more pre-gens together, it's that it would require a system overhaul in some regards.

You could do it with an external website link that generated or contained copy/pastable backgrounds and descriptions without much of a system overhaul. Might make a good stopgap.

But still the problem is still going to arise so I think doing it in the game is better AND only for first time accounts/characters. Something like what DragonRealms has where you can do it step by step for gender and features.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Why limit it to new players? Sometimes I would like to just pick a premade as a challenge or if in a slump.