Idea: SimAdversary

Started by Halcyon, October 12, 2021, 02:35:10 PM

I wanted to discuss an idea before putting it in to the staff tool.

Lots of games have enemy groups or npcs linked to specific characters.   It occurred to me that several of the roles in Arm could be made more narrative in experience with similar support.  For example, what if any escaped slave role was automatically documented on a board in Borsail/Winrothol holdings, as appropriate, and conditional slave hunter npcs were possible to spawn in the game.

This could also be a conditional trigger by staff.   If a pc got too wealthy without the right backing or bribery, staff could institute pickpockets or other npc thieves to spawn and target that pcs activities and holdings.

Ideally, this would be a kind of npc, an encounter frequency and a level of hostility related to it.

Escaped slaves might have rare frequency of slave hunters, who are very dangerous.
Active pc thieves might get steadily more frequency of spawning "thief catchers", at ramping danger, as they act.  The longer they lay low, the frequency and danger score could fall.
Ungemmed mages could get military scouts in a region, building to witchhunters in a region.
Bynners could have rival merc units or gith units
I think this might also be used in layers to give noble forces automated, applicable adversaries.

What do you think?
Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fiiiiiine.

Good idea, of course, but would require extremely robust code for any non-hack solution. Possible sideways implementation is to implement automatically generated PCs that people can play a la gladiators to inhabit these roles instead.