World's Events Pace

Started by Barsook, September 24, 2021, 07:49:03 PM

As noted in the Feedback thread, the pace seems to be too slow.

A part of me doesn't agree with this due to the fact that it's something that doesn't happen when you read/watch fiction (manga doesn't really count). The reason why is simple: plots take time to unfold. Just a little reminder here.

I guess I don't understand why people have issues with the pace. My only thought comes to those who want to climb the social ladder and/or ranks of a clan. Even with that, I seen many get far fast. It is just real life just stops the pace of the game?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I've never really had a problem with the pace of the game or of plots. But it doesn't match AAA video game titles that people play now, where the pace is everything (fast pace, that is, or at least even pace). I love games like KOTOR, where the pace is abysmally slow, or open-world games like Oblivion where the game is as long as you want it to be.

I tend to not hyper focus on my PC's 'SUCCESS', it's just another PC that I am playing at the time. I follow their goals as they would follow their goals. If my requests take a while, I bump them with a note, or if things appear to be slow I play other video games. But I still try to log in consistently. The action (when it is had) is quite honestly the best out there.

I know others have problems with the pace -- I honestly think they take the game a little too seriously, and should get some sunshine/read a book. The game is at its best when you have a healthy relationship with it, and don't expect too much from it.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Sometimes I think the pace is too fast/rushed due to real life.

The pace is too slow because most characters die young, die easily if someone really wants them dead, and this creates a disconnect between PC and staff pacing.

Firstly, it's frustrating for a PC to be involved in ongoing events very much when they are so slow that a dozen things on the PC timescale have happened in the meantime. I played a Valuren earlier this year who lasted an IC year or so - by the clan's standards, extremely average. The clan had(has?) an active plotline going on, and I saw all of a single one(1) RPT related to this plotline. Cool shit happened all about him just fine, there was conflict, I had friends in the tribe, and all of it meant the [redacted] plotline, despite technically being really important, was just a sideshow: it's just hard to care about once-a-year matters.

Second, because the pace is so slow, characters who get involved in events and the like have to play extremely, exceedingly cautiously. Many people playing nobles have said that a pain point was in their early phase specifically: you know nobody, have no contacts, few employees, and staff is unwilling to invest in the plans of noble players before they have been around for an IC year or two. I would be, to say the least, extremely disappointed if this were in fact the case. These are players you have already vetted to play a noble role, these are people you trust enough to have such a thing - please don't make them wait for months of their life to do stuff for what are, indeed, arbitrary reasons.

Thirdly, and this ties in to #2, most clans aren't huge and information just dies with people. If someone important does die or store, there's a week or two at first where people go 'maybe they are just on a holiday'. Then you either get or promote a new leader. Then they have to settle in again. Things are grinding slow and information is such a scarce damn thing in the game that it is rare for lost plotlines to seamlessly be inherited; more often than not, they are just dropped.

It'd be nice if things could move quicker than they do. It would make them more engaging and current; it would leave PCs less in limbo; it would make it easier for newer leaders and minions to be involved in things; it would make characters themselves more immersed in cool stuff rather than mundane slice-of-life RP.

And it'd be nice if they were tied less to specific characters, too. From what I've seen, sponsored leaders are told extremely little of what their predecessors got up to, and are mostly tossed into the deep. Some early guidance and boost to what they should or want to be doing really wouldn't be amiss, I don't think.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

The pace changes, depending on role, and world events. I could easily find a role that I know will have a faster pace, and one that I have more control of that pace.
To sum it up, pace yourself, for sometimes events can quickly escalate.
The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God? -Muad'Dib

So let's all go focus on our own roleplay before anyone picks up a stone to throw. -Sanvean

Quote from: Patuk on September 25, 2021, 12:04:11 AM
The pace is too slow because most characters die young, die easily if someone really wants them dead, and this creates a disconnect between PC and staff pacing.

Firstly, it's frustrating for a PC to be involved in ongoing events very much when they are so slow that a dozen things on the PC timescale have happened in the meantime. I played a Valuren earlier this year who lasted an IC year or so - by the clan's standards, extremely average. The clan had(has?) an active plotline going on, and I saw all of a single one(1) RPT related to this plotline. Cool shit happened all about him just fine, there was conflict, I had friends in the tribe, and all of it meant the [redacted] plotline, despite technically being really important, was just a sideshow: it's just hard to care about once-a-year matters.

Second, because the pace is so slow, characters who get involved in events and the like have to play extremely, exceedingly cautiously. Many people playing nobles have said that a pain point was in their early phase specifically: you know nobody, have no contacts, few employees, and staff is unwilling to invest in the plans of noble players before they have been around for an IC year or two. I would be, to say the least, extremely disappointed if this were in fact the case. These are players you have already vetted to play a noble role, these are people you trust enough to have such a thing - please don't make them wait for months of their life to do stuff for what are, indeed, arbitrary reasons.

Thirdly, and this ties in to #2, most clans aren't huge and information just dies with people. If someone important does die or store, there's a week or two at first where people go 'maybe they are just on a holiday'. Then you either get or promote a new leader. Then they have to settle in again. Things are grinding slow and information is such a scarce damn thing in the game that it is rare for lost plotlines to seamlessly be inherited; more often than not, they are just dropped.

It'd be nice if things could move quicker than they do. It would make them more engaging and current; it would leave PCs less in limbo; it would make it easier for newer leaders and minions to be involved in things; it would make characters themselves more immersed in cool stuff rather than mundane slice-of-life RP.

And it'd be nice if they were tied less to specific characters, too. From what I've seen, sponsored leaders are told extremely little of what their predecessors got up to, and are mostly tossed into the deep. Some early guidance and boost to what they should or want to be doing really wouldn't be amiss, I don't think.

It feels like the problem also ties into the lack of trust that players get from the staff along with how information is passed on.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I think the only thing brought up pacing regards that I have issues with is around when leaders die/store or are just gone from the game. Due to restrictions on how most clans are set up there isn't an option for other players to even temporary fill that role in order to keep things going. And we need that rather a leadership role is just on vacation for a week or got killed. We need to have player agency in this cases so things don't stagnant.
21sters Unite!

I imagine staff is trying to involve as many facets and clans into the plot as they can. Which obviously takes time as some react immediately, while others take their time. Then by the time they finally make their move, the clan that already acted has been wiped out, so staff needs to wait for new members to reestablish themselves and get reinvolved. When they're ready, the slowpoke clan stores and regains a new sponsored role. On and on and on it goes.