Weapon attack speed

Started by Dresan, August 31, 2021, 09:36:16 AM

This thread delivers! Whining about breeds, whining about elves, freak-out against sneakies, dwarves, victims of sneakies, gripes against twinks, rants against stats, people pretending they know how the code works...

Great entertainment.  But it's a couple days old now so maybe get back to the topic of weapon speed.
Halaster — Today at 10:29 AM
I hate to say this
[10:29 AM]
I'll be quoted
[10:29 AM]
but Hestia is right

Alot of weapons have inherently scuffed weapon speeds when compared to other items in the same class of weapons. ...also really cool when a random spear thats like 12 stone hits weaker and slower than a 5 stone shortsword or something. Also I too hate elves.

It's been said before (possibly even in the help files) that the pros and cons of each weapon skill should become evident just by using them. Aside from bludgeoning weapons, which are obvious, I've never realized what the benefits are for other weapon types. I've yet to notice one type that's more beneficial to low strength characters. They all seem kind of the same, aside from clubs.

Is there a weapon type that benefits those with higher agility?

Maybe best to look at such help files as parry or dual wield and such.

Things can be figured out, often what many people think is a good weapon for say, high agi is actually the one best for high str, and vice versa.

While others might be best for say, more balanced stats.

Experiment, you likely will end up surprised.

Oh, and just because a weapon is pretty and high priced does not mean anything other then you paid for pretty. Kind of like RL. ;)
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

September 19, 2021, 12:12:58 PM #54 Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 12:17:55 PM by Greve
Quote from: Sephiroto on September 18, 2021, 08:22:08 PM
It's been said before (possibly even in the help files) that the pros and cons of each weapon skill should become evident just by using them. Aside from bludgeoning weapons, which are obvious, I've never realized what the benefits are for other weapon types. I've yet to notice one type that's more beneficial to low strength characters. They all seem kind of the same, aside from clubs.

Is there a weapon type that benefits those with higher agility?

Piercing weapons do fairly good stun damage. Stabbing weapons are the same as piercing except they can be backstabbed with.

Chopping weapons do some stun damage, and it has always been said that they're good against armor (I've never personally noticed). Northern characters start with higher chopping skill.

Slashing weapons are said to help with parry, but again, I've never noticed. However, it's by far the most commonly used weapon type, and you defend better against attacks with weapons you're skilled with, so in that sense, slashing is good for defense just because something like half of PCs and armed NPCs use them. Southern characters start with higher slashing skill.

Bludgeoning weapons deal completely ridiculous amounts of stun damage when hitting the right body parts, but slightly less health damage.

I've never been able to detect any differences beyond that. Throughout all my years it has been clear that bludgeoning weapons are vastly, dramatically superior to all others. The only possible exception is if you have really low strength, because if the fight is long, it's a problem since there's stun regeneration in combat. But even then, if you have low strength, bludgeoning weapons are basically the only way to hit hard enough to reel people with any sort of consistency.

My current character had low strength and nothing seems to help with his blows getting through armor. Perhaps this will improve as the various weapon skills improve, but AFAIK the help files for offense and weapon skills say they affect how often you hit and not how hard. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm just here to evaluate whether low strength combat characters are junk, or whether there's nuance that allow them to be viable. There are plenty of stories here suggesting that elves even with lackluster strength can be great combatants.

I've seen low strength characters that do great in combat. Including elves.

Like, elves might not do great damage(though they can) but can also be insanely hard to hit.
21sters Unite!

Quote from: Sephiroto on September 19, 2021, 12:49:53 PM
My current character had low strength and nothing seems to help with his blows getting through armor. Perhaps this will improve as the various weapon skills improve, but AFAIK the help files for offense and weapon skills say they affect how often you hit and not how hard. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm just here to evaluate whether low strength combat characters are junk, or whether there's nuance that allow them to be viable. There are plenty of stories here suggesting that elves even with lackluster strength can be great combatants.
When you hit more often and have higher offense you'll gradually do more damage.

I can tell you, the key to elves is speed.

Biggest thing is this part of this help file.

QuoteEncumbrance
(Items)

There is a limit to what anyone can carry, and the more heavily loaded one is, the harder it will be to move around and fight. Some basic rules are:

So, one wants to do everything to maximize speed. And while say Piercing is fine even great if one has good str, One might want to trade doing 10 stun per hit over 4hp if lower str.

And yes, I know, There are many people who are like BUT X-D...ARMORS!!!! My elf is too weak to keep low encumbrance with armor.

Answer, Armor is to reduce damage when you get hit. What if you are not getting hit?

Point is, mostly your attack speed is based on the PC itself, not the weapon. Which is actually one of the most realistic points of arm combat system. I assure you, IRL my "attack speed" With a weapon is 95% based on my skill with that weapon and my overall melee training and fitness...NOT the weapon type itself.

A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

My elves never wore armor. I had like 80 max health and 'good' strength (Which was enough to carry my stuff and that was about it). I wore no helmet, no bracers, no arm guards, nothing.

I'd solo drov beetles at like...day 4-5. Being light is important.

That being said getting hit hurt pretty bad lol

Quote from: Sephiroto on September 19, 2021, 12:49:53 PM

Elves with lackluster strength can be good but in general if you roll very low or even middling strength well....

Rethink your character concept if it hinges on being good at combat and scrap it if it hinges on being very good