brawl everywhere

Started by Brytta Léofa, August 27, 2021, 04:25:16 PM

Have we had a thread about this recently?

Proposal: brawl enabled everywhere, with modifications. And I do mean everywhere.

Use hit <person> to initiate an unarmed attack. Hit can be used in any room. If hitting the person would crimflag you, it warns you and does nothing.

Calculate a Social Credit score, something like this:
  0 if crimflagged
  1 for randos, Byn runners, first-rung GMH employees
  2 for folks above minimum rank in a reputable non-noble clan who are wearing clan livery. except Byn etc. because they can handle themselves.
  3 for GMH merchants wearing clan livery, all noble-house employees wearing livery
  999 for nobles wearing fancy clothes or an uncovered signet ring

Here's the beatdown rules:
- No "hit" with a weapon in your hand. Error message.
- Anybody can hit a crimflagged person, nobody cares. You wish the jails were closer to the criminals.
- If you have a Social Credit score greater than the victim, you can beat them down to "poor" without being crimflagged.
- If you have Social Credit equal to the victim, you can beat them down to "moderate".
- In a brawl-friendly tavern, Social Credit matters less. You can beat anybody non-noble down to moderate.
  - (Taverns are the only place you get the crazy "smashes a mug over your head"-type messages. Elsewhere it's more generic.)
- If you brawl someone unconscious, crimflag for you. Oops! Sad dwarf.

> hit dude.in.desert
You're not in a city; just use "kill" brah.
> hit dude.on.street
You throw a punch at the tall, muscular man, connecting hard.
> hit dude.on.street
Soldiers would likely take notice if you did that (the tall, muscular man is too badly hurt).
Use "kill" instead if you want to engage in combat; you will be crimeflagged.
> hit dude.in.tavern
You smash a barstool over the tall, muscular man's head.
> hit merchant.on.street
Soldiers would likely take notice if you did that (the tall, muscular man is wearing the livery of House S'larr).
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on August 27, 2021, 04:25:16 PM
Have we had a thread about this recently?

Proposal: brawl enabled everywhere, with modifications. And I do mean everywhere.

Use hit <person> to initiate an unarmed attack. Hit can be used in any room. If hitting the person would crimflag you, it warns you and does nothing.

Calculate a Social Credit score, something like this:
  0 if crimflagged
  1 for randos, Byn runners, first-rung GMH employees
  2 for folks above minimum rank in a reputable non-noble clan who are wearing clan livery. except Byn etc. because they can handle themselves.
  3 for GMH merchants wearing clan livery, all noble-house employees wearing livery
  999 for nobles wearing fancy clothes or an uncovered signet ring

Here's the beatdown rules:
- No "hit" with a weapon in your hand. Error message.
- Anybody can hit a crimflagged person, nobody cares. You wish the jails were closer to the criminals.
- If you have a Social Credit score greater than the victim, you can beat them down to "poor" without being crimflagged.
- If you have Social Credit equal to the victim, you can beat them down to "moderate".
- In a brawl-friendly tavern, Social Credit matters less. You can beat anybody non-noble down to moderate.
  - (Taverns are the only place you get the crazy "smashes a mug over your head"-type messages. Elsewhere it's more generic.)
- If you brawl someone unconscious, crimflag for you. Oops! Sad dwarf.

> hit dude.in.desert
You're not in a city; just use "kill" brah.
> hit dude.on.street
You throw a punch at the tall, muscular man, connecting hard.
> hit dude.on.street
Soldiers would likely take notice if you did that (the tall, muscular man is too badly hurt).
> hit dude.in.tavern
You smash a barstool over the tall, muscular man's head.
> hit merchant.on.street
Soldiers would likely take notice if you did that (the tall, muscular man is wearing the livery of House S'larr).

I like this idea because (1) it's different, (2) it slightly resembles the existing weird [redacted] attunement system and I would love more alignments/rankings like this (3) it addresses the often discussed problem of people resorting to PK too often (4) after seeing my people getting attacked without retribution lately it resembles real life!

Maybe if it is too hard to revamp brawling still consider changing code for the police soldiers enforcing laws in a differential manner depending on your 'rank.' And then apply this to different regions of the game so that rinthi natives face slightly less harassment in the rinth and so forth. I wouldn't want things to get unilaterally worse for rinthers and so forth with a change like this.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

I love the idea of being able to do combat in the city as long as you're not lethal about it. If you knock someone out - crimflag. If you murder someone - crimflag.  If you sap/backstab someone - crimflag. If you hit someone unarmed. Kick them. Try to subdue them. Oh, okay...just get tossed out into the street by bouncers or soldiers.

The idea of a social credit score sounds nice too. It could introduce interesting nuance for race and social class, and also enable more non-lethal physical encounters inside the walls.

I'm sure it'd be a PITA to code around all edge cases though.

To that end, perhaps sealing from other commoners shouldn't be a crime either unless they're affiliated (clanned, shopkeepers, etc.). Just thinking aloud here, not suggesting this should absolutely  change.

Quote from: Sephiroto on August 27, 2021, 08:07:57 PMKick them. Try to subdue them.
A big issue is if you kick someone who is armed and enter combat bad things will happen.
Another problem is once you have someone subdued there's a lot of things you can do which you shouldn't but likely won't have coded preventative measures because right now only soldiers should have a subdued victim in the city.
* throw them into the nursery
* forcefeed them poison
* forcefeed them peppers
* forcefeed them poop

Yeah, I was thinking just hit.

why would the militia in an all-oppressive city state (either of them) or spiced out, twitchy mercenaries/thugs/criminals in shady outposts (both of them) be okay with people fighting in the street?

that's my biggest hurdle for this idea. that being said, I dig the idea of being able to brawl more and more often without it being much of a big deal, just like I generally like the idea of more non-death violence options.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Quote from: LindseyBalboa on August 28, 2021, 08:57:51 PM
why would the militia in an all-oppressive city state (either of them) or spiced out, twitchy mercenaries/thugs/criminals in shady outposts (both of them) be okay with people fighting in the street?.

Entertainment. And then they are free to claim one or both of the individuals broke the law, unless... *jingles some 'sid*

Gives another avenue for bribery as well as altercations that don't use the 'kill' combat code.

why would the militia in an all-oppressive city state (either of them) or spiced out, twitchy mercenaries/thugs/criminals in shady outposts (both of them) be okay with people fighting in the street?

Eh, but why would they care? Remember, we're not talking about murder or even fights with weapons. Just fist-fighting.

Because the people doing the fighting are shitty commoners beneath their gaze and doing nothing to challenge, subvert, or threaten the powers that be. Let the crabs yank at each other all day long.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.