Started by Brokkr, August 11, 2021, 12:22:39 PM

September 19, 2021, 01:49:09 PM #200 Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 01:52:19 PM by Greve
The helpfile for scan says that there's a city and wilderness version of this skill. However, that's clearly not the case. If so many classes and subclasses are to have fully maxed master scan, I think it's important that the skill be divided the way listen is. If not, I think the subclasses' scan should be lowered to the level that pickpockets and assassins had, i.e. the lowest rung of <master>. Giving them all the highest possible level of scan just seems too generous. I'm leery of subclasses having any masteries at all besides crafting skills, and I definitely don't think they should get any skills to the highest possible level. It's gonna be weird when fully half of 'rinth characters from now on are bards.

Quote from: Greve on September 19, 2021, 01:49:09 PM
The helpfile for scan says that there's a city and wilderness version of this skill. However, that's clearly not the case. If so many classes and subclasses are to have fully maxed master scan, I think it's important that the skill be divided the way listen is. If not, I think the subclasses' scan should be lowered to the level that pickpockets and assassins had, i.e. the lowest rung of <master>. I'd say the same should go for Scout, too. Giving them all the highest possible level of scan just seems too generous. I'm leery of subclasses having any masteries at all besides crafting skills, and I definitely don't think they should get any skills to the highest possible level.
I've always felt the wilderness versions are silly.

Specifically listen. I can make a miscreant who can hear through doors in a few days played.  But my stalkers can't hear shit being spoken at another table.

I think scan and listen should be one combined skill regardless of where you are.

I don't think I've skilled up listen wild hardly at all, because there just isn't much use for it unless you're the walk outta town sneak/hide everywhere guy.

I think it's supposed to help with detecting hidden things too but I have no idea on that or haven't experienced it.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

I'm not a fan of them either, but the helpfile literally says that there's a city and wilderness version of the skill when there isn't.

It does make *some* sense, though, if you imagine that the wilderness versions have to do with listening for animals or spotting predators while the city version is about discerning conversations in a tavern or spotting criminals. Still, it's just awkward gameplay-wise, and wilderness listen is nearly impossible to raise if you're not in a d-elf tribe. But if so many classes and subclasses are to have fully top-tier scan, I do think that there has to be some caveat. It's just too much as it is. Feels like an irrational knee-jerk reaction to boosting the hide skill of two classes by 5%.