Author Topic: Maps! (They don't love you like I love you)  (Read 364 times)

LindseyBalboa

Maps! (They don't love you like I love you)
« on: August 05, 2021, 07:15:29 PM »
Maps. The subject comes up on Discord once a month, and causes a stir. Every time, a staff member will come through and give a verdict. Can we please have a very final, distinct, and concrete ruling and throw that in a 'help maps' helpfile?

No maps, only vague maps, draw a map and submit it for a request, whatever the ruling is, can we have that in a help file to avoid this confusion? It would be helpful to be able to point at something and say "house rules" and move on when it comes up. Thanks!
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Aromit

• Administrator
Re: Maps! (They don't love you like I love you)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 02:45:40 AM »
I bolded the points relevant to your question I believe. Having them reiterated under 'help maps' is a good idea though and I'll leave myself a note for it.

Illustration                                                          (Items)

Illustrations are drawn pictures on any media set up to hold an illustration.  These would typically include books, scrolls and papers. When drawing an illustration the character must have access to a writing implement and something to draw upon.  The book, scroll or paper will need to be in the character's inventory and the writing implement equipped in their secondary hand, similar to writing.
   The text input in the in-game editor should be a written description of the drawing and should take into account the skill level of the character when drawing.  There will be a drawing skill listed on the skills list indicating general ability to draw.
   Under normal circumstances characters will not be able to achieve mastery of drawing without some specific in-character learning.
   It is at the player's discretion regarding the general abilities of the character as an artist but should keep in line with their skill level with drawing as well.
  Acceptable Use:
   -ASCII art is NOT permitted for these drawings.
   -ASCII art is pictures made out of text and are not to be used.
   -Please do not use this for cartography.
   -In line with the theme of Armageddon these are to be descriptions of the drawn illustrations using normal grammar and spelling.
   -In no way should there be any written words on these descriptions even if your character has the skills to read and write.
   -If unacceptable use is found the player may lose the ability to do illustrations which persists across all characters.

Please use good judgement in what would be possible to sketch/draw keeping in mind what normal denizens of Zalanthas would have had exposure to.

Syntax:
   > draw <book> 1

> draw <book> page_1

> look <book> 1

> look <book> page_2

See also:
   draw, look

Aromit

• Administrator
Re: Maps! (They don't love you like I love you)
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 03:53:50 PM »
Further clarifying after watching the teammates talk about it, using text to roughly describe an environment is fine so long as there are no attempts to quantify it in an ooc way, an example of what is not be done is: "This paper has been gridded into squares of equal sizes, at its centers is a red city and two squares east is a pit, three squares north of the city is a tower" etc. We do not intend for illustrate to be used in order for symbols/letters to design something like:

Code: [Select]
......     .^>>>
...#.T     .^..v
.~....     .X..v

Don't represent or undertake any form of cartography. But a written description of an area with landmarks and such would be feasible.

Hope that helps! Of course if you're uncertain about your characters attempt at such a thing you can always send in a request and we can review it before its distributed.