Slaves

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, July 30, 2021, 04:40:45 PM

Yo. I wanna be able to play a slave again.

Wussup with that?

How do we make that a feasible role again?

What were the issues before, and can they be beaten?
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I have a dope slave concept I have been sitting on for years. Wutup on it?
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Isn't slavery a role you can request like Bastard nobles?

Maybe they will make it like gladiator roles where everyone gets a real character and a slave character?
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

I was under the impression that the main reason slaves aren't playable is due to the logistical issues regarding being forced to play at the same time as another player (who may or may not store or die).

Seems like if someone could solve those, it'd make slavery more feasible.

Quote from: Narf on July 30, 2021, 06:15:44 PM
I was under the impression that the main reason slaves aren't playable is due to the logistical issues regarding being forced to play at the same time as another player (who may or may not store or die).

Seems like if someone could solve those, it'd make slavery more feasible.

Well, there are slaves that are found wandering the streets of Allanak, that are trusted to not flee or try and escape as soon as the opportunity presents itself by virtue of being trained.

All it would take is for the slave-owner to give the PC slave that level of miniscule freedom for them to make for an interesting character, without always being locked away waiting for their master to log in.

To me, simple guidelines for slave roleplay should suffice, as well as clear warnings about possible lulls in activity. These, along with central tasks for slave roles per House,  in theory, would assist in providing stability for the role.

We can all agree that forcing free PCs into slavery (without OOC consent) should always be a NO-NO though right?

(Because of difference in playtimes and ruining  enjoyment for the slave)

July 31, 2021, 04:10:26 AM #7 Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 04:12:20 AM by Fernandezj
Quote from: oggotale on July 31, 2021, 03:34:54 AM
We can all agree that forcing free PCs into slavery (without OOC consent) should always be a NO-NO though right?

lol.

Quote from: oggotale on July 31, 2021, 03:34:54 AM

By all means. I just want that option to exist. It should absolutely require OOC consent, just like torture or dismemberment does. But I'd love to be able to be enslaved instead of killed, and continue to play my PC, with the understanding that my options might be limited. If I want to retire, fine, but I want that option.

As someone who played the last long term slave (almost 60 IG years) that I'm aware of...

The 'job' sucks, you spend absolutely egregious amounts of time doing essentially nothing more than watching for people to tell you what to do, or for people to mess up or for people to instruct to come along.

Additionally as with just about every other socially sideways role, you get mishandled on the regular by other people. And what can you do about it? Wish and hope.. or request and hope and log out. Based on my experience, I wouldn't wish a long term slave role on anyone.

July 31, 2021, 09:27:27 AM #10 Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 09:46:59 AM by Inks
The simplest way to do this is for responsible slaves to be tethered to an orderable npc much like nobles (who is actually icly the slave's handler) who can't be ordered to fight, do anything really, etc, who accompanies the slave from the compound around the city for rp purposes only, icly the slave is accompanying the handler, and will only enter public areas (to find interaction oocly while running errands icly) and his/her own compound.

This would also allow slaves to run slave errands such as buying things asked by masters, delivering letters, and other non combat chores with their master(s) offline, as well as opening up RP opportunities for these slaves to be seen in public, including during dead compound moments.

When PC masters are around, the handler stays in the compound.

No, your handler doesn't want you to enter the midden heap to fight rats.

8)

Quote from: Tuannon on July 31, 2021, 07:20:20 AM

As someone who played the last long term slave (almost 60 IG years) that I'm aware of...

Long term combat slave who later retrained to a little bit of aide and instructional.

That's all well and good to be an aide, but if you outrank pretty much everyone you work with aside from nobles it's less doable.

If slaves come back as a short or long term thing, I would suggest that no one play an exclusively combat slave role.

Quote from: Inks on July 31, 2021, 09:27:27 AM
No, your handler doesn't want you to enter the midden heap to fight rats.
What ... but my slave is a rat catcher!

Heh.

There is a mul wandering down the street in Nak carrying glass. They have no handler.

In enslaving free people, I'd veer more towards the indentured servant route. It's a second chance at life.

For slavery that is sought at chargen, I'd lean heavily on them being a trusted slave, like the house slaves in the old American south. These slaves got sent places, without masters. They had tasks and responsibility and trust. But they had a shorter leash than a freeman. When they fuck up, there is no second chance, and what counts as a fuckup broadens in scope.

I played a mul combatt slave for the byn in 2017... I think. Ashes was his name.

It was fun, but he was one of the few PC's I retired. You can contribute a lot to the clan, but it's a very hard role to sustain interest/enjoyment in playing personally. Great staff, and great Sergeants are the only way it works. This was a 'give-back' role in my mind, I wanted to give something to the game and new players.

The breaking point for me was, even after putting in the time and grinding out to make Sergeant rank, your PC will still will never lead contracts or desert training. Which makes total, complete sense IC, I just couldn't handle the OOC time restrictions, I don't have the IRL flexibility to play on everyone else's terms. Staff/sergeants did an amazing job keeping me busy/interested, but still....

All that being said, I really, really love mul RP, and until you've played a slave mul, you're just scratching the surface of submerging yourself in the psyche of it all. When you play a free mul, you're PC us too useful and dangerous for PC's to actually treat your PC the way the docs say your PC should be treated.

If everyone had to play a mul slave before they were allowed to play a free mul, mul RP across the board would be that much better. IMO