Author Topic: Plots and half baked plans...  (Read 938 times)

Pariah

Plots and half baked plans...
« on: June 22, 2021, 02:17:06 PM »
So I have noticed something for a while as my character travels around the world and visits the various regional "boards" and reads through them.

What I've noticed is that there are a metric shit ton of cool things that get talked about, posted about, but ultimately fail and are just etched in the ooc board for years.

It sorta makes me sad because I'll read board 1-40 or whatever and find twenty things that seem interesting and I want to learn more about, to find out that the character has already died a year and a half ago, and their idea or thing died with them.

So I started to wonder if there was any way to facilitate new ideas like some I've read.  But with the board rules of no discussing IC events outside of staff created posts, I wonder if that particular hurdle is the thing that stops great shit from happening in the game, great collaboration?

I totally realize I'm just your average 1 Karma nobody player who tends to keep folks alive maybe a month if that, but I figured I'd ask for some of you higher ups and staff if you think there would ever be a way to create new shit, new groups, new ideas, new playstyles in the game and collaborate ooc to make it happen?

I know that this can be done loosely with Family Role Calls, but I just wondered if there was a way to get staff approval for things so that you could advertise the role on the board and maybe get some of the folks who stepped away for a while to come back and roll up a character.

I know I can't be the only one who looks over these old ideas and board posts IG and goes "Fuck I wish I would have been around for that!"

Sorry for the slight ramble but hopefully my thought got across, what do you guys think?

Khorm

Re: Plots and half baked plans...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 02:59:25 PM »
i don’t know that i have any great insight for you here, but i do want to be encouraging of new ideas or different approaches to old ideas.

i think you ought to make a request, file it appropriately, and come up with a solid and well thought out idea or proposal that you can present to staff and ask for some conversation around. this gives someone the opportunity to put it up on the staff board where they can discuss.

things can change very slow, and it can be tough to feel like you’re making progress, but i know for a fact that staff are open to and encourage great ideas. you will have to do some legwork to put it together though.

can’t promise results but this is what i would do if i were motivated.
Her head is average.

Riev

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 03:00:43 PM »
Collaboration without OOC involvement is difficult, bordering on impossible.

A lot of these start-up things you read about, fail because someone has an idea for their PC. They app their PC. At their first hour played, they make a board post about "come see my wonderful <x>". They then die to a scrab at hour 4.

Or, people's ideas DO come to fruition, its been accomplished, a few players buy in for a while... but then it gets stale. Its no longer "trying to make it" and the playerbase has moved on to the next fad.

Unfortunately, we're very fickle. Most things you want to do, we've seen before, and most of us are trying to tell OUR story, not someone elses. Keep trying, make friends in game and see if they want to help, or join an organization with the intention of using it for networking and relationship building before you leave.

One thing I don't see AS OFTEN as I used to, is Tuluki-style patronage. Work, and dedication, to Nobility in exchange for coin and favor. You want to start a BBQ Business? Gonna be a whole lot easier if Lord Dopey Sath is super into the idea.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Veselka

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 10:47:17 PM »

It sorta makes me sad because I'll read board 1-40 or whatever and find twenty things that seem interesting and I want to learn more about, to find out that the character has already died a year and a half ago, and their idea or thing died with them.

I totally realize I'm just your average 1 Karma nobody player who tends to keep folks alive maybe a month if that, but I figured I'd ask for some of you higher ups and staff if you think there would ever be a way to create new shit, new groups, new ideas, new playstyles in the game and collaborate ooc to make it happen?

Bruh, that's most PCs. The best laid plans of mice and men...

There's been a ton of new groups, new ideas, new play styles in the last RL year alone (really, the last few RL Months alone, like, for real). If you're bouncing around between PCs, it never hurts to shoot a request up to Staff to see if they have a role or concept that needs filling. You might not always get an affirmative, but that's why I encourage people to apply for all those secret roles or things outside of your comfort zone. That's where the magic happens.

You can either play roles you're comfortable with the rest of your life, or play roles that you might be uncomfortable with and learn something new or have fun doing something differently in the game.

Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Krath

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 04:47:24 AM »
You can either play roles you're comfortable with the rest of your life, or play roles that you might be uncomfortable with and learn something new or have fun doing something differently in the game.
[/b]

This...100%
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.