Observations of a returning player.

Started by Pariah, June 15, 2021, 09:21:13 PM

Quote from: lairos on July 27, 2021, 10:45:52 AM
As the idea that is being discussed here does hold some sway into what the OP is having troubles with, I would have to say that I would also love to have a way to leave messages in more of an IC way and would prove more realistic in some fashions. It also makes it easier in many ways and also means I we don't have to always try and pass on GDB handles or something just to try and get a playtime to pass a message.

What about an IC messenger NPC that can be scripted to accept messages of limited length that will report to PCs of a certain rank, making it more of a clan perk (which, let's be honest, is 90% of the need for these sorts of things). Anything that keeps IC information IG and off the GDB is a good thing, to my mind. The syntax could allow you to specify by name (or keyworded name). This also means they could be overheard! It would automatically tag on your rank and their rank, and use whatever keywords/names you gave him.

I imagine it working something like this:

>message Hardnose Malik I have hired a new recruit, Amosa. Lady Fluffybottom Winrothol wishes to speak with you regarding the kryl assault. There was a major theft from the noble's quarter and the main suspect is Sharpy, the elf.

A fat, balding messenger says, in northern-accented sirihish:
     "Okay, I have your message. I'll relay it to Faithful Lord Hardnose when I see him next."

>check messages
A fat, balding messenger says to you, in northern-accented sirihish:
     "Faithful Lord Hardnose, Captain Malik had the following report on Dzeda, 77th day of Low Sun, year 77."

A fat, balding messenger says to you, in northern-accented sirihish:
     "He said: I have hired a new recruit, Amosa. Lady Fluffybottom Winrothol wishes to speak with you regarding the kryl assault. There was a major theft from the noble's quarter and the main suspect is Sharpy, the elf."

You could be limited in characters to each message and to x amount of messages per RL day, to prevent over-usage or spam.

I would be in favor if (1) this is a service unclanned PCs can use too (2) it is not more difficult to implement than a Way based solution.

Whatever works for staff to implement, there is a lot of interest and need.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

July 27, 2021, 12:57:47 PM #127 Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 01:07:14 PM by triste
> What about an IC messenger NPC that can be scripted to accept messages of limited length that will report to PCs of a certain rank, making it more of a clan perk.

Yeah not in favor. I am unapologetically pro indie, I would also wager a Way based solution would be easier to implement (key word wager). It would also be easier to use it if the interface were familiar rather than entirely different. The interface you propose is similar to posting on a board and look how often people mess that up. TLDR I considered your idea but would love for my well supported idea to get traction rather than be lost in some churn. It's been years of me proposing this, and handful of folks saying "Yeah that's a good idea," and nothing.

[playful taunt]just hire me staff lolzz now that I am a backend engineer for one of the biggest tech companies in the world I know C languages a lot better, also proof has been in the pudding (yes thats a frontend app but point is I know how software works and build FOR THIS GAME) for years, if you ain't gonna build it, let me lol[/playful taunt]
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.