Observations of a returning player.

Started by Pariah, June 15, 2021, 09:21:13 PM

I imagine players who have not figured out the rinthi muggers and think it's too dangerous there are just overestimating what they'll find.

The problem with the rinth or rinth-southside mingling has never been danger. The issue has always been that these areas are huge and far-flung, and it takes a real time investment to even go looking for other characters, and when things are not particularly active it all feels very sterile and empty.

I haven't played in the rinth recently so I can't speak to the current situation, but the way it worked previously in my experience was pretty reliant on tavern sitters hanging out and being somewhat reliably at a particular hangout. If someone cool was reliably at one of the taverns, you'd get more and more PCs showing up to play there until there was enough activity that you didn't need dedicated tavern sitters anymore. But if no one is there at all, people who stop by don't hang around and will come by less often. That's why the rinth has always had a serious ebb and flow to its activity levels.

If literally no one is tavern sitting at any of the rinthi taverns or the Gaj, what is a rinthi independent PC gonna do finding no interaction? They're gonna join the Byn, learn the Southern accent, blend in, and be played exactly like a Southside PC.

As a player from way back, I admit to flirting with a few characters over the last decade (or several) but rarely finding one I could sink my teeth into. So very glad to have seemingly found one now. Also happy to see a few familiar names on the GDB.

I just wanted to post to say that I'm glad that RP isn't dead, for certain, despite rumors. Power gamers and OOC knowledge leaking has always been a problem, so in that sense the game nor the player base has changed much. To me it seems that putting oneself in the place to allow RP to happen is important, to expect it and provide it oneself is important.

While there have been many changes to the mechanics of the game over the years, I have always had an imperfect understanding of How Things Work which is fortunate for both me and my characters as we fumble forward and try to make sense of our experience.  Wonderfully, the game is still as honest and amazing at its core. Your character will die. If you are fortunate, it will be heartbreaking.

I'm old enough now to be grandfather to the fellow who first escaped Holy Mission for the beauty of the Known World and still find that this is where the best stories are found. And every step my new character takes in this world echoes the memories of eons past, of those who have trod these sands whose names have been lost in the endless wastes of sand and time.

Finally, I want to say that I attribute to Armageddon my inability to enjoy any game without a permadeath feature - mudding, Subnautica, No Man's Sky, Skyrim. If there isn't that ultimate risk, why are we here?

Also, I hope the use of "Longneck," and "Longnecker," as well as "'necker," has vanished from the Known world. It always makes me think of cheap beer. Elves deserve better - but not by much.

Quote from: DustMight on July 10, 2021, 07:26:36 AM

Also, I hope the use of "Longneck," and "Longnecker," as well as "'necker," has vanished from the Known world. It always makes me think of cheap beer. Elves deserve better - but not by much.

It was banned quite a number of years ago. I can't remember exactly which year, but it's use was outright banned.

Quote from: Hauwke on July 10, 2021, 09:17:27 AM

It was banned quite a number of years ago. I can't remember exactly which year, but it's use was outright banned.

Longneck is the only one out of these that's technically still allowed, but I haven't seen it used IG.

So very glad to have seemingly found one now.

This almost makes me wanna come back.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on July 12, 2021, 02:11:00 PM

Do it.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: DustMight on July 12, 2021, 07:40:33 PM
OMG.

Quote from: Narf on July 12, 2021, 09:31:50 PM
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on July 12, 2021, 08:18:28 PM

Do it.

Probably sometime in the next five days.

Get back evil temptor! 😈 Get BACK!
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on July 12, 2021, 10:12:30 PM
OMG.

Do it.

Now I've had my brain surgery I have an application in for a flavour character ;)
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Bushranger on July 12, 2021, 11:10:11 PM
Quote from: ShaLeah on July 12, 2021, 10:12:30 PM
OMG.

Do it.

Now I've had my brain surgery I have an application in for a flavour character ;)

The struggle is real.. maybe,  Temptors... maybe.

Get a room already..

.. You know, in-character, with those PCs you're making.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on July 13, 2021, 06:19:12 PM
Get a room already..

All five of them?!
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on July 14, 2021, 07:46:06 AM
Get a room already..

All five of them?!

Yes.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on July 14, 2021, 08:29:12 AM
Quote from: Maso on July 14, 2021, 07:46:06 AM
Get a room already..

All five of them?!

Yes.

I mean.. come on... it's ME. Of course all five. 

https://youtu.be/0i0IlSKn0sE

You know, sad part, done that...not with Shal I do not think...and 5 is too many.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

So says the expansion division.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: X-D on July 16, 2021, 09:47:54 AM
You know, sad part, done that...not with Shal I do not think...and 5 is too many.
Strangely enough,  none of my characters have.  Not even the whores. Or the triibals.

Or the Sun Runners.

#vanilla

Quote from: Pariah on June 19, 2021, 02:15:55 PM
Quote from: triste on June 19, 2021, 08:50:03 AM
Quote from: number13 on June 19, 2021, 04:24:07 AM
The limit on OOC communication means spies can be effective in game, and surprises can happen. It also means it can be difficult or impossible to talk to a particular player when you need to in order to advance a plot.

This is exactly why I have been asking for a means to Way or send messages to people when they are offline. I know it would be a PITA to implement, but it would fully address this problem, which you are correct, is becoming more of a problem day by day.

And sadly, there are TONS of players who cheat and metagame constantly to "fix this problem themselves," and the disproportionate advantage they possess... again only drives more people to quit.

I would LOVE it if staff would try to implement this solution (offline way messages) to solve this problem (coordinating RP asynchronously in game). I would LOVE it if someone could propose even another solution to this besides the one I am proposing, but I haven't heard any other good ideas yet.

We can endlessly identify problems, and/or we can start to fix them.

Perhaps a type of ooc/ic mail system in the first login menu?

That way you could leave small messages for player of Amos and then when they log in they would see it?

HELLS BELLS YES.

Is there a technical limitation preventing this?

Quote from: oggotale on July 27, 2021, 05:09:16 AM
Quote from: Pariah on June 19, 2021, 02:15:55 PM
Quote from: triste on June 19, 2021, 08:50:03 AM
Quote from: number13 on June 19, 2021, 04:24:07 AM
The limit on OOC communication means spies can be effective in game, and surprises can happen. It also means it can be difficult or impossible to talk to a particular player when you need to in order to advance a plot.

This is exactly why I have been asking for a means to Way or send messages to people when they are offline. I know it would be a PITA to implement, but it would fully address this problem, which you are correct, is becoming more of a problem day by day.

And sadly, there are TONS of players who cheat and metagame constantly to "fix this problem themselves," and the disproportionate advantage they possess... again only drives more people to quit.

I would LOVE it if staff would try to implement this solution (offline way messages) to solve this problem (coordinating RP asynchronously in game). I would LOVE it if someone could propose even another solution to this besides the one I am proposing, but I haven't heard any other good ideas yet.

We can endlessly identify problems, and/or we can start to fix them.

Perhaps a type of ooc/ic mail system in the first login menu?

That way you could leave small messages for player of Amos and then when they log in they would see it?

HELLS BELLS YES.

Is there a technical limitation preventing this?

The technical limitation preventing this is triste is "icky" and therefore has "bad" ideas.

JK. Snark only present because (1) there probably is no technical limitations, I know of probably five muds with this feature, including a major RPI (2) I've asked for this feature for about three years and cool busy people like you will periodically say "YES" in agreement but nothing happens.

IDK I should shut up so (1) someone less "icky" asks for this and it happens (2) a staff role call opens up and I can get a slot and code it my damn self.

(This idea has a lot of intrinsic merits for busy people KRATH DAMNIT).
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

As an offpeaker that feature would definitely be a godsend :(

It's not even that intrusive, dareisay it's almosta  quality of life.

Atleast I can't think of anyways it can be abused?

Being able to receive way messages when logged off and a log of them when you log in would be epic.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

The worst possible exploit I could think of is if it becomes suddenly hard to way someone offline, people might be able to assume they died. But it's really no different than what we have today, it is common to hear, "I don't know, I haven't been able to way Talia in weeks, maybe she died." And if you want to disappear/fake your own death, people would be able to opt out of this feature by logging off with a barrier or similar (just the same way people avoid "Are you dead?" sniffing now).

Similarly the worst pain point I can think of when using this is name collisions and having to fish around for the right Amos to way when there are multiple, but just like the point above, this is an existing problem people are used to navigating.

And lastly, this mechanic is 100% preferable to people metagaming and cheating with Discord, etc.

I love busy ppl like Krath and off peakers like oggotale and would love to play w ppl like this more!
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

As the idea that is being discussed here does hold some sway into what the OP is having troubles with, I would have to say that I would also love to have a way to leave messages in more of an IC way and would prove more realistic in some fashions. It also makes it easier in many ways and also means I we don't have to always try and pass on GDB handles or something just to try and get a playtime to pass a message.
A staff member sends:
     "The mind you have reached is currently unavailable.  Please try again later."