Author Topic: Hot or cold?  (Read 936 times)

314Red

Hot or cold?
« on: June 15, 2021, 08:54:08 PM »
Does it make sense to have it be freezing temperatures in the desert at night? No sun? In real life it does, I haven't ever witnessed it in game

Pariah

Re: Hot or cold?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 09:00:13 PM »
I think "cool" is the only descriptor close in the weather system for night.

While I think it would be cool, no pun intended, if it did drop to a cold temperature, requiring a fire of some type.

Though I haven't tried in a long time, I remember making an actual campfire was almost impossible south of the forage wood areas, unless that's changed.

Jihelu

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 11:52:36 PM »
I think "cool" is the only descriptor close in the weather system for night.

While I think it would be cool, no pun intended, if it did drop to a cold temperature, requiring a fire of some type.

Though I haven't tried in a long time, I remember making an actual campfire was almost impossible south of the forage wood areas, unless that's changed.
See help fire for methods on creating fires with only dung. Works well in the southlands

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 12:34:43 AM »
I would LOVE a cold night to require bundling up in a fur or being in the room with a fire, or else you slowly freeze to death. I would love that a LOT.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

ShaiHulud

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 03:14:09 AM »
You are hot! You are hot! And you! Are also hot.

The temperatures in our rl deserts may not directly correlate to Zalanthas/Dark Sun/Or any other -fantasy- settings.

But to add, I could imagine it being more similar in places maybe.

"The chill of Drov will ache your bones."

-adding again.., salt flats, red desert, dunes, scrub..all would have greater and different drops possible with ground types ability to retain heat.
Let it get near freezing temperatures in the deadlands at night..on certain weather and yearly equations.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 03:23:45 AM by ShaiHulud »
The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God? -Muad'Dib

So let's all go focus on our own roleplay before anyone picks up a stone to throw. -Sanvean

SpyGuy

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 03:34:29 AM »
I imagine very tall mountains would get uncomfortably cold near their peaks, at least when the sun isn't shining.  I can't remember if this is reflected in the room descriptions or weather code or not.

triste

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 09:32:45 AM »
Generally +1 on the whole "desert is cold at night" notion but quickly noting there are some exceptions to this. Around Death Valley and Las Vegas it's generally warmer at night than say in Arizona because all the mountains trap air and keeps it circulating within the valleys to an extent. And of course within the city of Las Vegas itself it's hot as balls every hour of the day as heat gets trapped in buildings/pipes.

So yes, while I generally agree in the "Deserts are cold at night" truism and have lived through that effect in huge flat deserts in Arizona where it can be 70° in the day and 14° F at night, I've also been living through 100° at day 70° at night deserts in Nevada and California. Conceivably Zalanthas might have deserts more like that what with the shield wall and stuff. I think it is also always valid to roleplay the temperature as being hot all the time in a dense city.

* Grain of salt, not a meteorologist or geologist, just a sad crazy person trying to die in the midst of adventure
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

Pariah

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 09:45:58 AM »
I think anything that adds realism or need to plan into the mix is a good thing.

But I would hate for it to be something like you forget your thermal underwear, miss the gate and freeze to death in a desert.

It would need to be a negative for sure, but not just negative in the basest way of taking away health till you die.

Perhaps something where it makes you cold and your combat skills take a hit similar to being fully encumbered?  Or your movement points and that of your mount spend faster?

It would be an interesting add for sure but as with everything in this game, it would have to be handled delicately.

LindseyBalboa

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 11:33:13 AM »
It's 110-120 here this week in the valley (edited to clarify: Phoenix area). Drops to about 80-85 at night. Up north a bit in Death Valley it's about the same, but drops to 90 or so.

The shield wall drops down into a very similar geographical structure with rising mesas and structures, which would retain heat, much like the valley. The salt flats in Death Valley retain heat as well.

Realistically it seems to me it's just always high summer in Zalanthas. You need seasons to have cold desert nights, or MUCH more expansive sand-only deserts without structures (valleys, mesas, caves, holes, buildings, whatever) in them to lose heat enough to be cold at night.

The Known World of Zalanthas couldn't have a Sahara, that goes from 100F to 20F in 24 hours. A desert elf can run from Allanak to Morin's in an IG day. In Dark Sun, they can run about 50 miles in one day at peak performance. Let's say they can do 100 here, just in case, and it's 100 miles from Allanak to Morin's. The Sahara desert is 1100 miles across.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 12:21:32 PM by LindseyBalboa »
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Narf

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 12:09:54 PM »

The Known World of Zalanthas couldn't have a Sahara, that goes from 100F to 20F in 24 hours. A desert elf can run from Allanak to Morin's in an IG day. In Dark Sun, they can run about 50 miles in one day at peak performance. Let's say they can do 100 here, just in case, and it's 100 miles from Allanak to Morin's. The Sahara desert is 1100 miles across.

Just a quick note; the Known world is meant to be much bigger than indicated by travel time. I think it was stated way back when that it's about the size of Wisconsin which google says averages about 275 miles to a side.

That's still a lot less than 1100 miles granted.

LindseyBalboa

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2021, 12:25:36 PM »
Just a quick note; the Known world is meant to be much bigger than indicated by travel time. I think it was stated way back when that it's about the size of Wisconsin which google says averages about 275 miles to a side.

1100 (mostly) uninterrupted miles of sand vs. 275 miles with 3+ cities and geographical, heat-retaining structures, that tracks to me.

But also thanks! I always had "about a Midwestern state" size in my head but nothing more than that, so a wide variance.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 12:41:56 PM by LindseyBalboa »
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

betweenford

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2021, 03:35:27 PM »
I have seen every region in the Southlands drop to "cold" at least once. It's not uncommon, more common in some areas. Sometimes it literally shifts from a "hot night" to a cold morning.

Now, everywhere NORTH of the shield wall is usually "warm" or higher at all times, in my experience.

Gentleboy

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2021, 10:45:17 PM »
I looked it up, on google. The Sahara gets to be 75 degrees at night (42 degrees Celsius). That's not freezing. It's a desert world, I think the heat is something that should be embraced and shown in everything (which it is, mostly). I don't like the idea of it getting freezing cause you know what,  then we got ice. And that's something I don't think a lot of characters can think about.

Also, think about the animal world. Bugs. You know what bugs hate? The cold. Lizards? The cold. Both wouldn't be able to travel at night much. It just would not make sense to make this change and not think about the factors that would effect the ecosystem, the economy, and elsewhere.

EDIT: I was wrong! The average is like 60 degrees (idk Celsius). And it can dip to freezing, but it's mostly cool.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 05:52:26 PM by Gentleboy »

SpyGuy

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2021, 03:55:20 AM »
I have seen every region in the Southlands drop to "cold" at least once. It's not uncommon, more common in some areas. Sometimes it literally shifts from a "hot night" to a cold morning.

Now, everywhere NORTH of the shield wall is usually "warm" or higher at all times, in my experience.

This seems to track.  I thought 'cool' was the lower limit before but just recently saw a cold morning in one area.

Seeker

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2021, 05:57:18 PM »

As I recall, the Known was described as about as large as Wyoming.  Way back when.  Maybe Wyoming was used because it is just more evocative with the different and varied landscapes.  It gets darn hot and cold there.  Steaming geysers in the winter is a treat.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2021, 08:13:09 PM »
As I recall, the Known was described as about as large as Wyoming.  Way back when.  Maybe Wyoming was used because it is just more evocative with the different and varied landscapes.  It gets darn hot and cold there.  Steaming geysers in the winter is a treat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Desert_(Wyoming)
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

betweenford

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2021, 09:01:59 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Desert_(Wyoming)
oh my god arm is all wyoming

Lotion

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2021, 12:59:44 AM »
lets have a rodeo at luirs

edit: wyoming is known for its rodeos, so this is actually on topic
A staff member sends:
     "Hi, we don't need you to tell us EXACTLY what you are doing when you quit OOC.  We just need a vague reason.  Thanks."

Obeliskocism

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2021, 02:55:45 PM »
Wyoming is slightly larger than the United Kingdom, with about 67 million fewer people.

Blanc de Ocotillo

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2021, 04:44:08 PM »
It should be freezing at night. The more extreme the desert generally the bigger temp swings right?

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2021, 03:34:50 AM »
Zalanthas has a message for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ird4BzX5VJM
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Inks

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2021, 09:42:04 PM »
The lack of cloud cover is what makes rl deserts freezing like they are as all heat stored in the day vanishes at night. Zalanthas has eternal cover of a sort through the red dust in the atmosphere, which is the reason you can't see stars.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 12:43:19 AM by Inks »
Quote from: Is Friday
Quote from: Synthesis
I hate to break it to you noobs, but penetration isn't the only way to achieve orgasm.Do I have to fucking explain everything here?
Tell me more about your Golden Standard of HG Mudsex RP