Author Topic: Clan Life Versus Fun Play.  (Read 644 times)

Pariah

Clan Life Versus Fun Play.
« on: June 04, 2021, 12:01:29 PM »
So I tend to play either one of two ways, either totally a loner, mostly outdoors doing whatever my character does, magick, skinning, hunting etc.

Or I play in clans, now what I've noticed about clans is that some are super regimented like the Byn where literally 90% of your time outside of break days is allocated to something.  Or they have no real guidance outside of your Noble/Leaders directives and or staff nudges or solo rp.

One issue I have with the regimented is that me as the player feel like I have to follow the rules to be considered, "playing the role" or "playing realistically."

Now I'm well aware that I don't have to follow rules, I could be a total fuckup and risk getting fired/killed/imprisoned/beatup etc etc.

But what I struggle with as a player is finding a way to not be either of the extremes.

I don't want to be Amos the greatest soldier ever, but I also don't wanna be Amos the fuckup.

What I've been trying to do when in these situations is to be very open with staff via reports or if something totally crazy about to be attempted (Killing an NPC that I could kill, but would probably attract attention for example) wishing up to get any consequences or challenge I should incur from my actions if deemed needed.

So I guess my question here is, is that cool?  Would anyone consider it playing unrealistically if you skip training on a day or break a rule but take steps to avoid detection?

I haven't had the greatest relationship with staff in the past, which is why I have this gdb name versus my original, but I'm trying to be transparent and play within the rules and flavor of the game without being bored outta my god damn mind.

So I figured I'd ask this question and see what you folks do to play a middle of the road character in a clan, not the best, but not the worst.  Hopefully I got my message across, thanks in advance.

Lizzie

Re: Clan Life Versus Fun Play.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 01:03:45 PM »
I never plan for my characters to be total fuckups or total amazeballs.  I let things happen organically. I don't plan them. I have a main IC goal, and a main OOC goal, and hop out of chargen and see what happens from there.

An IC goal might be: get in with a clan so I don't have to worry about food and water.
An OOC goal might be: branch magic missile

If my character is deeply involved in a conversation or situation, then my character is not likely to just abruptly get up and walk to the clan compound because it's training time.  Conversely, if it's time for bed, I might do exactly that, and use "need to get to the barracks" as an excuse to log out.

I think you're assuming that you have to be at one end of the spectrum, and that you need to learn how to be middle of the road. I think it's exactly the opposite for me. I'm good at being middle of the road, and not that good at pushing for extremes.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

williamson

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 01:13:42 PM »
I think it's fine to play someone in the middle of the road. I suggest keeping the staff informed of your plans and deeds. I played a city elf in the first class of the Tzai Byn. He was, by far, the worst in his class. Purposely doing chores poorly and not working hard. He finally "graduated" and immediately joined House Kurac while claiming to have been one of the best. You can have a wide variety of great characters without being exemplary.
"Let sleeping characters sleep naked." -Azroen

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 01:17:54 PM »
I absolutely think you should play the character as you see fit. If you do bad, or sketchy stuff, then fucking do it, and fuck leadership. They can deal with it as they see fit. I think it's cool to have these people. A good Leader player wants those people anyway, because there's the incursion of discipline, and examples made, and problem-solving, etc.

In direct answer, it's absolutely not unrealistic to skip training day, or disobey an order.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

LindseyBalboa

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 02:02:33 PM »
On a player level, nah, I've never caught flack OOCly for missing training, or something. I've gotten punishment/labor RP out of showing up hungover or whatever, but that's about it. Do you.

As for playing realistically, whatever your fleshed out, thematic-adherent character would do is playing realistically.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 02:15:59 PM »
I think if you want to play a less than perfect PC, the one real issue there for you is to not attach the Leader's punishment IC to the Leader's Player despising you OOC. If you can detach those two things and not start assuming that the Leader is OOCly digging their nails into your ass, then you'll enjoy it. I have had some pretty character defining moments dealing with punishment, both as a Leader and as a Minion.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Riev

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 03:14:04 PM »
The Byn is one of my favorite clans because I actually DO like the structure. For those following it, it provides near-immediate access to someone else to RP with, whether you're friends or not, because you're both Byn.

Often times, that means I'm one of few "following the schedule every day" and this tend to land my PCs into First Trooper/Sergeant positions. However, skipping a day of training, spending time at the bars, being "Not just a Bynner" for a play session? Nobody is going to ream you. ICly, a Sergeant might be told that you were skipping, and they'll want to know it was worthwhile, but by and large if you survive a year in the Byn, you're not a 'fuckup'.

Fuckups die.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Is Friday

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 05:39:50 PM »
I generally play characters who push the boundaries in almost every facet of their clan life. Even when they are not breaking rules, my flamboyancy in play leads them to being firecrackers for others' desire to find a scapegoat or enemy. I would say if this is your desire, then temper your expectations on how enjoyable an outcome you'll receive. Often other players are not considerate to antagonistic personalities in the game under the umbrella of "harshness". Whether or not they ought to be on a meta-level is considered to be "controversial". An unfortunate reality of the state of the game.
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

mansa

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 06:53:58 PM »
I think the big question here is...

Are you roleplaying the life of a character you invented in a shared world experience we also play in?

Are you having fun?

...Because I can't tell you how to have your fun and enjoyment.  I can show you the boundaries that we've built into the rulesets of the game.. but it's really up to you to get your joy out of it.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Khorm

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 09:34:08 PM »
I generally play characters who push the boundaries in almost every facet of their clan life. Even when they are not breaking rules, my flamboyancy in play leads them to being firecrackers for others' desire to find a scapegoat or enemy. I would say if this is your desire, then temper your expectations on how enjoyable an outcome you'll receive. Often other players are not considerate to antagonistic personalities in the game under the umbrella of "harshness". Whether or not they ought to be on a meta-level is considered to be "controversial". An unfortunate reality of the state of the game.

the more people embrace this idea of falling outside of what might be considered playing "right", the less there is to worry about repercussions for not being the dopest soldier ever... or whatever.

be a shitbag. be a golden child. be anywhere on the spectrum in between. most important - enjoy doing it.
Her head is average.

Fenneko

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2021, 08:39:22 AM »
I absolutely think you should play the character as you see fit. If you do bad, or sketchy stuff, then fucking do it, and fuck leadership. They can deal with it as they see fit. I think it's cool to have these people. A good Leader player wants those people anyway, because there's the incursion of discipline, and examples made, and problem-solving, etc.

In direct answer, it's absolutely not unrealistic to skip training day, or disobey an order.

Spoken like a true Zalanthan!

Having fun under restrictions and rules is even more extreme if you play in noble clans.

Sometimes I think some of the most restrictive rules are probably going to be mended back over time for certain cases and then the pendulum swings again and it's back to being less restrictive. Examples are things like a clan not allowing a half elf leader or whatever, but then maybe a few IC years later one breed makes it to the top.

The best advice I have is to treat this game with as much patience as possible, so that the player expectations don't ruin the fun you are having. I sometimes forget that a random mistake or bad luck or an HRPT or whatever can just kill off my characters without warning and I need to think, "well, I am glad at least my character still lives and exists," which for me is always helpful because I play the game less for the in the moment action and moreso for the telling of a story over time. Losing the story to death is actually also a plus because I get to start a new one after also, so really as long as I keep my focus on the storytelling, I can overlook bumps in the road.

But sometimes restrictions really are unworkable, or boring, or quiet. It might help to ask a question or submit a report or discuss in your clan board if things seem way too boring to you because staff do listen and things can get changed. But honestly, I just flick off the mud for days or weeks at a time, only to come back later and find that the boredom problem has been 'fixed' maybe not directly due to rules changing but due to the hijinks of a new sexy vagabond running around breaking those rules to play with and learn how to enjoy the RP again.

Fernandezj

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2021, 02:32:36 PM »
The problem with clans is that people tolerate toxic leaders far too often than MCB-ing them.

Kialae

• Publicity Coordinator
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 11:48:57 PM »
The 'most correct' way to play is to be aware of the setting, whether to operate in line with it, or to act contrary to it. You just need to be reasonable, realistic and consistent with your choices there.

Khorm

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2021, 11:48:46 AM »
The 'most correct' way to play is to be aware of the setting, whether to operate in line with it, or to act contrary to it. You just need to be reasonable, realistic and consistent with your choices there.

this is a really great summation.
Her head is average.