Author Topic: Berserk Book Club  (Read 511 times)

Gentleboy

Berserk Book Club
« on: May 24, 2021, 09:12:06 PM »
Hey all, the creator of Berserk just recently died from heart complications. Kentaro Miura RIP.

So, starting in June, how many of you would be interested in reading a volume a week and then going to discord to chat about it? Any takers?

Here are some questions so far to keep in mine while reading volume 1! I'll update the questions as we go! You can answer them here as you read or wait till we talk on a VC to discuss them.

Are there any panels that stuck out to you?

Any images that remind you of different media?

What do you think of the main character right now?

This manga was drawn/created in 1989, does it feel that way?

Why do you think this is one of the most celebrated manga?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 11:46:15 PM by Gentleboy »

SpyGuy

Re: Berserk Book Club
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 09:55:37 PM »
Is there a good website to find it for free?  I don't do manga much but everyone says Berserk is great.

I'm down, could do

triste

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 10:30:00 PM »
Obviously I'd be down given that I posted about the guy dying before you did, but alas I have been banned from the Discord for hating children.

As it happens one of my favorite chapters of Berserk is when Gatsu/Guts kills more than 100 small children (out of necessity!)
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

Gentleboy

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 11:01:01 PM »
Obviously I'd be down given that I posted about the guy dying before you did, but alas I have been banned from the Discord for hating children.

As it happens one of my favorite chapters of Berserk is when Gatsu/Guts kills more than 100 small children (out of necessity!)

Lol the moth/butterfly/imposter elf saga. Classic. And one saga I will sometimes skip over.... Because it gets boring to me. The slaughter of children isn't enough, apparently.

I saw like weird compilations to Berserk and was like "huh... a lot of people are into Berserk again". And then I saw finally RIP and my jaw dropped.

Intuition

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 02:16:40 PM »
Damn.

Gentleboy

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 11:45:34 PM »
Hey all! Here are some questions so far to keep in mine while reading volume 1! I'll update the questions as we go! You can answer them here as you read or wait till we talk on a VC to discuss them.

Are there any panels that stuck out to you?

Any images that remind you of different media?

What do you think of the main character right now?

This manga was drawn/created in 1989, does it feel that way?

Why do you think this is one of the most celebrated manga?

Gentleboy

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 09:29:14 PM »
Hey all! I was thinking Mondays would be good for discussion on the discord. If any of you are not comfortable talking via voice, feel free to write down thoughts or answers to the little questions I wrote.

Hauwke

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 05:11:28 AM »
I'll attempt to find time to join in, not sure if I can or not just yet.

SpyGuy

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 09:54:29 AM »
I’m enjoying it, reading ahead too.   I’ll be around later in the evening on Monday.  Probably prefer text discussion as partner and I are both wfh.