Author Topic: beeping  (Read 226 times)

Lotion

beeping
« on: April 07, 2021, 10:35:08 AM »
When do you think it is okay to beep someone?

When have you been beeped at an inappropriate time?
A staff member sends:
     "Hi, we don't need you to tell us EXACTLY what you are doing when you quit OOC.  We just need a vague reason.  Thanks."

Maso

Re: beeping
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 10:38:14 AM »
When do you think it is okay to beep someone?

When you are trying to interact with them and you can't tell if they are idling or LD. If they have JUST been interacting...then no...but if you've just walked in and you haven't seen them do anything, go for it.

Also...if they just did OOC: brb I need to take a dump and a bahamet walked in.

When have you been beeped at an inappropriate time?

I have never been beeped. :(
emote pees into your eyes deeply

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Shaydee

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 11:13:01 AM »
I have only been beeped once that I can remember, I don't think it was an inappropriate time though, I thought I said gone, but I was definitely gone longer than expected due to toddler aggro.

I would think if it is urgent, and you need that specific PC for an interaction. But only if you have been interacting IC a bit, like emoting/speaking to them, and you don't get a response after a few minutes? If that criteria is met then beep them, otherwise just move on or wait for someone else to come along? I usually just move on. Sometimes people might be just disconnected, I once saw a PC standing in the same spot for two or three real life days every time I logged in. So beeping them would have done nothing.

I think it says to use the beep command pretty sparingly. Yupp:

Use this command very sparingly, if at all.

I have never 'beeped' anyone before.
The naked chubby winged halfling flaps its wings and blows you a kiss!

JackGibbons

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 11:23:11 AM »
First time I heard it, I was scared I got ganked while not looking at the tab for a minute, thinking it was my own mantis beep.

I use it rarely, usually to give someone an opportunity to show whether they're LD or just idle-but-present, like got absorbed in a video or other game.
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

mirk_o_loio

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 01:14:56 PM »
Some time ago me and someone was chilling somewhere and were resting when a drov beetle came to say hi.
Person 2 was AFK so I beeped them like ten times in two seconds.

Nobody died that day.
Tek's Balls - See Utep's teeth.

If life gives you lemons, open a lemonade stand untill you make millions, invest into weapons and go to war.

rinthrat

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 01:39:39 PM »
I've been beeped by someone when I wasn't even afk, just trying to work out my emote and taking a minute to respond. That's the one use of beep I didn't really care for. Other than that, it seems underutilized.

DesertT

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 06:48:43 PM »
I'm typically pretty generous before beeping someone.

I have OOC'd someone before, letting them know that it was legitimately ten full minutes since their last response.

If that continues, I'm not overly excited to interact with them again.

I have been beep'd before and it was appropriate though I know quite a few folks take offense to being beep'd.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Veselka

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 07:25:18 PM »
I beep all the god damned time.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 07:36:40 PM »
I'll beep when it seems prudent to start wondering if they are there. Sometimes that might mean I beep them and they really are taking 3 minutes to get an emote out, but most of the time it's more along the lines of ... it's 10 minutes and I think they fell asleep.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

X-D

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 04:40:26 PM »
I am not afraid to beep if something even mildly important starts happening and the time that has passed is when people tend to tab out...waiting for dawn, gates, training, whatever.

Tends to be when people beep me too so, I have no issues.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

LindseyBalboa

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 04:58:45 PM »
Beep away.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts